Need some help with wah settings

frankiev

Experienced
I calibrated my roland ev5 pedal on the MFC ,using pedal input 2 which is cc16 and controls ext1 . If I set up a new wah it works perfectly . The problem Im having is in using wah presets Ive found here on the forum . I insert a wah and choose for instance EVH wah then I change (Ive noticed alot are set to ext 2) the control to ext1 . I hear the wah but the pedal does nothing . Its the same with any other preset wah I have I tried . I checked Ibanez wh10, supa quak , slash and zach wylde. Any ideas what Im missing ?

I calibrated my roland ev5 pedal on the MFC ,using pedal input 2 which is cc16 and controls ext1 .

I may be missing something here. It sounds like you are plugging into Ext 2 but setting the Wah to be controlled by Ext 1. From my understanding that shouldn't work at all. Basically, the way I set mine up is to place a wah block into the preset, then tie it's controller to Ext 2 (which is where the pedal for my Wah is connected). I have it set to auto engage so whenever I use that pedal, it turns on and off without having to step on an IA switch.

I believe you can direct an External Controller connection to a certain CC# (wah, for instance), which may be how your self made presets are working. But if you'll look at the settings of the factory presets, 59 Bassguy for example, you'll see the wah is set to Ext 1 so it won't see a pedal on Ext 2 as a controller. Changing that to Ext 2 (if that's where your pedal is) should get a result.

Hope that makes sense. I am learning on this as well!

You might be encountering modifier scale/offset values that leave the pedal doing very little. See what the curve at the modifier screen looks like, adjust those values if needed.

I may be missing something here. It sounds like you are plugging into Ext 2 but setting the Wah to be controlled by Ext 1. From my understanding that shouldn't work at all. Basically, the way I set mine up is to place a wah block into the preset, then tie it's controller to Ext 2 (which is where the pedal for my Wah is connected). I have it set to auto engage so whenever I use that pedal, it turns on and off without having to step on an IA switch.

I believe you can direct an External Controller connection to a certain CC# (wah, for instance), which may be how your self made presets are working. But if you'll look at the settings of the factory presets, 59 Bassguy for example, you'll see the wah is set to Ext 1 so it won't see a pedal on Ext 2 as a controller. Changing that to Ext 2 (if that's where your pedal is) should get a result.

Hope that makes sense. I am learning on this as well!

The pedal # (XP 1/2/3/4) doesn't really matter, the CC#s do. In this case XP2 (on MFC) and Ext Ctrl 1 (on Axe) both being set to CC#016 will mean that XP2 controls Ext Ctrl 1.

The pedal # (XP 1/2/3/4) doesn't really matter, the CC#s do. In this case XP2 (on MFC) and Ext Ctrl 1 (on Axe) both being set to CC#016 will mean that XP2 controls Ext Ctrl 1.

That's what I was trying to say, except that I personally have found it easier to leave Ext 1 controlling Ext 1 and so on, so that it says what it means and I don't have to remember I what I might have moved around. That's just my preference. Thanks for explaining it a little clearer.

EDIT: Chris made it much clearer (with video!) here: http://forum.fractalaudio.com/axe-f...01-initial-setup-expression-pedal-videos.html

Last edited:
You might be encountering modifier scale/offset values that leave the pedal doing very little. See what the curve at the modifier screen looks like, adjust those values if needed.

Thanks ...No doubt thats whats going on . Im afraid its also a bit over my head at my level of understanding . Ill do more research but the question that springs to mind is this . How much different can one pedal be from another . It would seem I should at least here some movement of the wah but I hear none or so little I cant really hear it .These are presets others are using so it would seem they should be ballpark anyway

It's probably noting about the pedal if it works fine when setting up a wah from scratch. What I meant above is it could be an issue with the new scale & offset parameters when loading older presets.

With a problem preset loaded, navigate to the wah freq. control via front panel and press enter. What does the line/curve look like at that screen? If most of the curve is at the bottom edge of the grid you need to adjust something at that page, likely scale to 1.0 and offset to 0%.

It's probably noting about the pedal if it works fine when setting up a wah from scratch. What I meant above is it could be an issue with the new scale & offset parameters when loading older presets.

With a problem preset loaded, navigate to the wah freq. control via front panel and press enter. What does the line/curve look like at that screen? If most of the curve is at the bottom edge of the grid you need to adjust something at that page, likely scale to 1.0 and offset to 0%.
I suspect that is the issue the OP is up against. IME, older presets seem to default to scale = 0.1 and offset = -100%. :(

I suspect that is the issue the OP is up against. IME, older presets seem to default to scale = 0.1 and offset = -100%. :(
I checked the stock wah scale is .1 offset 100% line goes from bottom left to upper right diagonally . I then checked the zach wylde wah and scale and offset are the same but the lines is almost straight across the bottom All the other settings appear to be the same on both except for off val91.7% on zach and 5%on stock

Not to de rail...but where are the EVH wah settings ? My wah does not sound great...... ;(

I calibrated my roland ev5 pedal on the MFC ,using pedal input 2 which is cc16 and controls ext1 . If I set up a new wah it works perfectly . The problem Im having is in using wah presets Ive found here on the forum . I insert a wah and choose for instance EVH wah then I change (Ive noticed alot are set to ext 2) the control to ext1 . I hear the wah but the pedal does nothing . Its the same with any other preset wah I have I tried . I checked Ibanez wh10, supa quak , slash and zach wylde. Any ideas what Im missing ?

Not to de rail...but where are the EVH wah settings ? My wah does not sound great...... ;(
All settings the same as above, val offset 95% line goes almost straight across the bottom also pretty much exactly the same as the zach wah

Ok apparently when I change the offset and scale on the zach wah the line is easily adjusted so that solves that issue , however why is the stock wah's offset and value .1 and 100 (same as the screwed up preset) while the line is fine . Not only that but when I adjust offset and scale on the stock wah the line dosent move at all .Just curious at this point since the issue is solved and thanks for the help

edit: One more question . When I correct the settings is there a way to save them to the original zach wah or do I need to just delete the old one and create a new one

Last edited:
Sorry man, I do not see the WAH settings for EVH/Sach, etc. Where are they ?
thjx
All settings the same as above, val offset 95% line goes almost straight across the bottom also pretty much exactly the same as the zach wah

You have to download the specific blocks with EVH, Satch and other settings from the preset exchange area and put them in your block FX library in the Axe Edit folder on your computer.

What preset exxchange area ?
thganks,

You have to download the specific blocks with EVH, Satch and other settings from the preset exchange area and put them in your block FX library in the Axe Edit folder on your computer.

Back
Top Bottom