Need Some Help with Routing...

Ugly Bunny

Power User
Hi guys. So I play electric guitar, acoustic guitar, and keys. I usually go FOH and have a FRFR on stage with me. I'm trying to have one setup that I never have to change, regardless of situation, but I can't seem to make it happen, and maybe it's impossible. I need to be able to independently adjust guitar and keys level to my monitor which basically means outputs 3 and 4 are for that.

-----------------------------------------------------
Output 1: Stereo (for home practice/monitoring) - both keys and guitar get routed here in stereo for output via SPDIF to my Mac.

Output 2: ??? (could be a problem only having XLR)

Output 3: From guitar path to FRFR Input 1

Output 4: From keys path to FRFR Input 2
------------------------------------------------------

Some gigs, I can only go mono. So this means Output 2 could theoretically be used for panning electric guitar LEFT (in its preset) and acoustic guitar RIGHT (in its preset).

I'm pretty confused. I know several ways I could rearrange stuff and have separate presets for various setups, but a part of me thinks there's a way to set up all 4 outputs to always have exactly what I need for any given scenario.

One big thing is that I'm trying to have my Axe III be my central hub for in/outs. That is, I'm trying to send my keys through the Axe so there are fewer cables running across the stage (I can keep things neat going to the Axe and from the Axe to the mixer).

Ugh. I don't know. I don't know if it's possible.

I guess, if it's not possible to have my cake and eat it too, Maybe I can set it up so it's as easy as breaking connections when I get to the gig? Like, maybe I can use Out1 for other stuff as long as I'm not routing EVERYTHING through it? Maybe I could take advantage of a Mixer block?

Sorry. This is all pretty much rambling and thinking out loud, I'm sure *sigh.

This kind of sounds like a repeat of this thread:

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/thre...night-advice-needed-re-output-routing.148786/

Try routing a preset for one scenario. If you need to change what's at a certain output (in multiple presets) from gig to gig, that's where the global mixer becomes useful. Instead of breaking a connection in one preset, you turn that row down in the mixer and save. Then every preset linked to that global mixer # will have that row turned down.

Haha! Interesting. I guess I never got it solved.

Okay, so globally linked blocks... I'll mess with that now. I've been bangin' my head against this wall all day and it's exhausting, but I think that might work!

This kind of sounds like a repeat of this thread:

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/thre...night-advice-needed-re-output-routing.148786/

Try routing a preset for one scenario. If you need to change what's at a certain output (in multiple presets) from gig to gig, that's where the global mixer becomes useful. Instead of breaking a connection in one preset, you turn that row down in the mixer and save. Then every preset linked to that global mixer # will have that row turned down.
Actually, you can't link mixer or output blocks globally... Back to the drawing board...

EDIT: Volume/Pan blocks seem to be doing the trick :)

Last edited:
So I solved it.

I bought a small mixer.

I decided that rather than tie up two entire outputs in an effort to replicate a mixer for my keys and guitar going to my FRFR monitor, I figured it would be more logical to just take a feed each from the Axe III and my Kronos into the mixer and send that to my monitor. It's an extra thing to plug in at the gig, but it'll save a lot of time and frustration trying to get the sound balance just right.

It's the Behringer Xenyx 802, in case anyone cares. Can do a bit of EQ as well, if I need to, and it'll work as a good little standalone mixer if I ever need a mini-PA (since I have 2 of the EV ZLX12P FRFRs.)

So this way, I can have my cake and eat it too with only minor adjustments based on venue, rather than trying to shoehorn a "kitchen sink" output scheme into each preset.

I also plan on looking into duplicating my FC-6's layouts and globally linking pedals so that I can have the exact same presets but with different output schemes and then just load up a different FC-6 Layout every time my gig situation changes.

Back
Top Bottom