Need some help with a self oscillating delay

SockPuppet

Inspired
Hey there folks!

I've been trying to figure out a way to do this kind of effect:

You can hear it at 0.40 and at 1.22 (actually it is all over the place in that song)

I've managed to do a similar thing (I've attached an axe edit block for the Axe FX II XL), but it still doesn't really sound right.

Attachments

• Alien Delay 1_20141109_155457.blk
    735 bytes · Views: 9
at 00:11 i hear delay, but at 00:40 i think that's a synth

here is an example - controlled by external 1

Attachments

• Oscillating Synth Ext 1.syx
    6.3 KB · Views: 24
are you on 16.04?

if you can find out what that pedal is, we might be able to replicate it somehow...

Try tweaking the delay time on the Tape Delay block as you are playing. That's what it sounds like to me...

i have to respectfully disagree. that's what it sounds like at 00:11 for sure, but the other sound at 00:40 is something else. you can hear it oscillating between very high and very low and seems to do this automatically. when you watch the live vid - he's not spinning a delay time knob back and forth...

are you on 16.04?

if you can find out what that pedal is, we might be able to replicate it somehow...

Sorry my bad, I forgot that I was on FW 15 :) I'll update tonight, I really want to try out the new reverbs!

I found another video (haha): Crobot - BTR Live Studio [ep309] - YouTube

but at 5.20 he seems to be tweaking a pedal called "The church burner". My guess is that it's a modded or custom made pedal since according to a Guitar World interview he said:

"I also have a really crazy oscillator delay that I had modded a bit. I took out the tap and changed the knobs around so I could manipulate it with my foot. I use that to build tension. You can definitely hear it in the songs. It almost sounds like a spaceship taking off."

I do see an Ibanez ES-2 Echo Shifter that seems to be doing something. But I think I'm grasping for straws here with the church burner pedal. He also seems to kick in an EHX Micro Pog.

yeah, it's the church burner. hold on, i'm trying something out...patch in a min, hopefully...

nope. it's very difficult to get the same kind of effect from the tape block. i've tried all sorts of combinations of modifiers on motor speed, head time, input gain, bypass and hold....and i just cant quite get it to sound the same. the synth block actually produces a similar sound to his pedal (if a little cleaner) but you could probably dirty that up with a bit of filtering, or even a two slightly detuned voices through a tape distortion.

nope. it's very difficult to get the same kind of effect from the tape block. i've tried all sorts of combinations of modifiers on motor speed, head time, input gain, bypass and hold....and i just cant quite get it to sound the same. the synth block actually produces a similar sound to his pedal (if a little cleaner) but you could probably dirty that up with a bit of filtering, or even a two slightly detuned voices through a tape distortion.

I'll see if I can come up with something, the synth block definitely helps a lot. I've added a modifier to the Rate parameter in the LFO1 and that gets me pretty close to the speeding up sound that's going on there.

Thank you so much for taking your time to help me with this! :)

Maybe something like this?

TTT - Self-Oscillating Analog Delay & Theresynthâ„¢ - solo - YouTube

How to hook up the photo cell as a controller?....hmmm...simeon can figure it out I'm sure.

Yeah that is pretty close to what I'm looking for! Thank you for that :)
I've managed to do a similar thing with the help of simeon with the synth block as stated above. The thing is it is too clean and kind predictable, if you get what I mean, unlike this pedal that seems really out of control yet manageable.

I've tried another thing and placed two delays in series and let them oscillate into each other, the problem is it gets way out of control really fast.

Back
Top Bottom