Need some help using the FX8 in the effects loop of my Mesa Mark V 25

PaulC

Inspired
I am new to using an effects loop and have some questions about getting the levels set.

The issue is that the amp doesn't have a separate Send control and uses the master controls to adjust the sends. From the manual:
"Use the Front Panel MASTER controls to adjust the SEND Level of the two preamp Channels and reach the desired output (send) strength, keeping in mind that clean sounds are more dynamic and produce quicker dynamic peaks than more compressed high gain sounds. So use your ears as well as any INPUT LEDs on your processors for balancing SEND Levels, as the lights may not tell the whole story. If you don’t hear any clipping on your clean sounds, the levels are likely fine even though the LEDs may show more signal strength in on the clean sounds."

So I adjust the master volume until the inputs on the Status page of the FX8 are at a good level and my question is how do I adjust the master output volume of the amp now? Seems the only way I can figure out is to adjust the Output Post of the FX8 to return to the Amp FX loop. But it seems to me this may clip the effects return to get the amp at a high enough volume. It may be that this is how this effects loop is supposed to work but not specified in the manual.

I did see a "Out Post" page with EQ and gain settings in the FX8 which is likely there for adjusting the return level back to the amp globally. I tried it and it didn't seem to change the volume enough to so I am not sure it is meant for this. But still not sure this is how to adjust the amps overall volume.

Am I missing something here (likely)? I haven't had the chance to get try it loud yet but wanted to get some advice if this is the way to go.

Thanks for any insight.

If you're worried about clipping your amp's return level, don't be. If you're anywhere near clipping, you'll be hitting the power amp hard, and it'll be wickedly loud.

There's an OUTPUT LEVEL POST knob on the OUT page of Stompbox mode. That gives you +/- 20 dB of range. It's hard to imagine you won't be able to get enough range from that.

Thanks for the response Rex. Being new to using an effects loop I wasn't sure but the way you describe it it sounds like this approach is how it works. Meaning, use the Master controls to set the Sends output of the amp to the FX8 and then control the overall volume using the return level from the FX8 to drive the power amp.

However, I looked up the Out page in Stompbox mode and you are correct, there is range there that can be used, however, it appears to be set individually for each scene of each preset. Since Output volume can't be a static setting, if I go to a new room and need to adjust my volume, I can't go to each scene of each preset and adjust this value on that page to compensate. There has to be another way?

There is a global setting as I described before but it offers +/- 12 (db?). I will try to use this to work out a process for adjusting the master volume.

Wondering if this is how others using the 4 cable method are doing it?

You can still use your amp's master volume knob as a master volume. As you turn down the master, you'll be sending less signal to the FX8, so you'll be getting less signal out of it (unless you're using a Drive block, which you wouldn't be likely to use in an effects loop, anyway).

You can set your levels like this: set your global output level to 0 dB. For each preset, set OUTPUT LEVEL POST so the volume matches the volume you get when the FX8 is in True Bypass mode. Now you can use your amp's master volume as it was intended to be used. And you have some range to play with in the global level setting, if you want to.

Back
Top Bottom