Need some help using Stereo when we have 2 guitarists (live and recording)

MicroMort

Inspired
If it were just me I’d be using stereo all over the place with cool delays, mimiq-type double tracking, and reverb setups. I have 2 cabs that could be put L/R for small stages as well.

But......i’m one of 2 guitarists in the group. We trade lead parts here and there, mostly we play complimentary rhythm based riffs. So, during practice we use headphone amps and just have the guitars panned left/right and bass/drums down the middle (at least that’s how I set up my p16).

Are there any routing setups I could do to take advantage of the axeIII and stereo? I feel like I’m missing out by staying mono.

I saw an all girls AC/DC cover band "recently". The soundman had the 2 guitars panned hard left and right. For the 2 tables in the middle it was great; for those of us off to the side it was HORRIBLE. Live, don't hard pan the two of you or some of your audience will only hear 1 guitar.

I saw an all girls AC/DC cover band "recently". The soundman had the 2 guitars panned hard left and right. For the 2 tables in the middle it was great; for those of us off to the side it was HORRIBLE. Live, don't hard pan the two of you or some of your audience will only hear 1 guitar.

thanks! In most situations I’ll let the sound guy do what he does. I was thinking more along the lines of practice and live speaker setup for when there is no sound guy - like should I keep my guitar R at like 75% and throw my reverb L ? Looking for any tricks or stereo applications that I can try.

Live, don't hard pan the two of you or some of your audience will only hear 1 guitar.
+1 to this -- just pan a bit. There aren't many optimal listening spots in a live venue so optimize your mix for the average-to-worst spots.

thanks! In most situations I’ll let the sound guy do what he does. I was thinking more along the lines of practice and live speaker setup for when there is no sound guy - like should I keep my guitar R at like 75% and throw my reverb L ? Looking for any tricks or stereo applications that I can try.
Unless your practice space is big and you can separate yourselves, keep it simple.

Pre-lock down, everyone had their own mono monitor in my setup so when we'd rehearse we'd each mix what we wanted into our monitor next to us. That was far more useful than stereo.

Let's not throw the baby out with the bathwater because one sound engineer went overboard. How about 30% left and right?
It can be great to move rhythm guitar to a wider sound while a separate lead sits in the middle, or to run wider echoes with a dry main part.
Really, you need to use your imagination. What might sound good? Try it. Did it work?

Back
Top Bottom