Need some help - ringing in the ears after playing... not an FX fault, an ear fault!

Tips
Regular use of these high-fidelity earplugs while practicing, performing and listening to music will protect hearing from the cumulative effects of overexposure to loud sound throughout life.
A little time may be required to acclimate to these earplugs. Many musicians report that they hear their own instruments better, as well as the balance with those around them.
I put mine in 10 minutes before I play to get acclamated

So if Cliff is trying to sell units to everybody, maybe the feeling is it's easier to darken a bright tone than generate the top end from a dull one. Just a guess.
But then what do I know?

This is generally thought to be true anyway. It comes from the principle of subtractive EQ'ing and gain-staging, where in the old days of tape, boosting high-frequencies would increase noise. So you'd put the signal in with loads of highs, and then bring them down to reduce the noise later on.

It's not really true in a digital system. It's all math at that point, and adding 3 to 5 is the same as taking 4 from 8... generally speaking.

I'm in the process of setting up monitoring using my low powered computer speakers. They are fairly good quality Boston Acoustics, and this approach guarantees there is no more than about 10W of audio. I'll see if there is any difference...

This is generally thought to be true anyway. It comes from the principle of subtractive EQ'ing and gain-staging, where in the old days of tape, boosting high-frequencies would increase noise. So you'd put the signal in with loads of highs, and then bring them down to reduce the noise later on.

It's not really true in a digital system. It's all math at that point, and adding 3 to 5 is the same as taking 4 from 8... generally speaking.
Yes, that's all good. I think where I was going with that was the psychology of a new user getting acquainted with, and being happy with, the Axe. If a certain demographic is used to more upper mids/ highs in general, that might be a better starting point.

After reading all this, I think it's time for you to go easier on your ears. You said you're working with amps and guitars for decades now? I'd say what you suffer from is a classic case of hearing damage.
Sure it's way more prominent with FRFR solutions und digital gear, as most guitar cabinets and a lot of analogue gear fail to reproduce very high frequencies (the position in the room and proximity to you is another story, but that has been discussed already), but the fact that the ringing is strong enough to bother you should be a major warning sign that what you're doing is not good for your health.

Re-arrange your gear, make sure to keep distance to the speakers and - most important of all - turn it down! Bring a tool to measure dB levels while you're playing. Make sure to stay below 90dB for starters and check if that helps. Go even lower if you plan to play longer than 2 hours without breaks. And turn down those high frequencies.

If you are exposed to noise at your workplace, make sure to give them an hour of rest (and I mean: real rest... not watching TV, not listening to music, etc.) when coming home before starting to play. And stay away from those cymbals.

I just found a Trojan virus associated with this download. Found with Malwarebytes software.

yeah because I enjoy giving other people viruses... Thanks for the info but i'm sure it's your software that doesn't recognise the syx file.

yeah because I enjoy giving other people viruses... Thanks for the info but i'm sure it's your software that doesn't recognise the syx file.
Hi, please check your computer with Malwarebytes(its free), before you say you are sure.
I have downloaded at least a 100 syx files. I have never seen this on any of them. My solution is free and take a few minutes. Just do a full scan, then confirm or deny. If I am right, it is attached to your file. It is no longer in my computer, do you really want it in yours?

A .syx file can not embed viruses... At least even if it does i can not see how it would be launched on your computer ?

Back
Top Bottom