Need some advice on using different guitars with my Axe

Jvstrat

Experienced
So I just got a new PRS S2 Standard 24 satin that has a push/pull coil tap to split the coils and give you a single coil type sound. Obviously when you coil tap it there is much less volume coming from the guitar. Could I add a block to my presets somehow that I could engage with my mfc to boost up the preset some so the volume would be similar to using it in full humbucker mode? Thanks for any pointers.

Last edited:
I personally find that presets in the Axe don't sound very good when I switch pickup types. I would suggest making a new preset for the coil tap setting - if you want the same basic tone, just copy the preset and tweak the amp settings. The input trim will bring the volume up.

I personally find that presets in the Axe don't sound very good when I switch pickup types. I would suggest making a new preset for the coil tap setting - if you want the same basic tone, just copy the preset and tweak the amp settings. The input trim will bring the volume up.

Most of my presets sound pretty good with the coil tap. OP, you have several options if you want to use a preset with both pickup settings. One simple option would be to put an EQ block in your chain with a few db boost. You could also set the EQ to tweak the sound of the single coils if needed.

You could have different input trim settings as well as Drive and Master settings that could be engaged by scene. For example, let's say you want to bump the input trim from 1.00 to 1.5 when you coil tap. Attach the input trim to the Scene 1 controller. Under the scene ! controller there will be level settings for each of the 8 possible scenes so for scene 1 set the knob to 50%, which is noon, which is 1.00 on the input trim. For scene 2, set it 75%, which is 1.5 for the input trim. Now when you go from scene 1 with hum buckers to scene 2 with single coils, it'll up the input trim.

You can make it more complicated by using the 2nd Scene controller to adjust the drive or any other parameter as well.

Lastly, you can attach the the boost switch in the amp to a button on your floor controller.

There's probably several other things to do, but those are the most common approaches.

Most of my presets sound pretty good with the coil tap. OP, you have several options if you want to use a preset with both pickup settings. One simple option would be to put an EQ block in your chain with a few db boost. You could also set the EQ to tweak the sound of the single coils if needed.

You could have different input trim settings as well as Drive and Master settings that could be engaged by scene. For example, let's say you want to bump the input trim from 1.00 to 1.5 when you coil tap. Attach the input trim to the Scene 1 controller. Under the scene ! controller there will be level settings for each of the 8 possible scenes so for scene 1 set the knob to 50%, which is noon, which is 1.00 on the input trim. For scene 2, set it 75%, which is 1.5 for the input trim. Now when you go from scene 1 with hum buckers to scene 2 with single coils, it'll up the input trim.

You can make it more complicated by using the 2nd Scene controller to adjust the drive or any other parameter as well.

Lastly, you can attach the the boost switch in the amp to a button on your floor controller.

There's probably several other things to do, but those are the most common approaches.

Any particular eq block you prefer? Also does it go before the amp block?

I use AMP X/Y for switching between my SC and HB. AMP is using the same amptype but with different values.
X is for HB with a little more gain
Y is for SC with more level, less gain, more compression

Any particular eq block you prefer? Also does it go before the amp block?
For some patches I'll use a PEQ after the cab block with a little midrange bump. You could do that and add a few db boost as well. How you shape the EQ is going to be a matter of taste.

For me, I need a different amp tone/drive setting when switching from a strat to a humbucker. But I'm sure it depends on the amp model And tone desired.

You may be able to find an amp that will sound "good" with both cofigurations using an eq but why bother when you can have an amp sound great with one, or the other? Use the the amp controls, they will invariably sound better.

Back
Top Bottom