Need Security Camera Recommendations

GotMetalBoy

Power User
I need to get some security cameras around my house because I've started to notice things missing. I'm not sure how they're getting in because no windows or doors have been busted. It may have been happening for about a year.

I need something that can record video and have enough storage for a few months, so I don't have to overwrite. I'm thinking something wireless, so cables don't lead back to the DVR. I need at least 3 outside cameras, 3 inside cameras and one specifically for my Axe-Fx II rig. If someone steals my Axe-Fx II rig and I find them, I'm definitely going to prison for first degree murder!!!

Any recommendations or info?

Oh and I have 3 dogs and one sounds real mean but they must not be scared of dogs or brought dog treats.

Check this out! I've been thinking about getting one, especially now that they added extension cameras as well.

I've been looking into something like ^that^ too. Lots of missing Amazon packages in my neighborhood over the holidays, and cops at my door over the weekend looking for tips of a string of car break-ins.

...it sounds like I live in the hood, but really, I'm finally in a place nice enough to rob :)

I've been looking into something like ^that^ too. Lots of missing Amazon packages in my neighborhood over the holidays, and cops at my door over the weekend looking for tips of a string of car break-ins.

...it sounds like I live in the hood, but really, I'm finally in a place nice enough to rob :)
We had 8 cars stolen in out neighborhood in the past week while warming up. I don't live in a bad neighborhood but not a super nice one either. Just average suburban hood...

I bought 3 Foscam R2 HD PTZ indoor cameras a few months back. I am satisfied with them. They have a nice picture and features. I plan to buy 2 more outdoor ones that Foscam has. Check out their site and you can see all they offer.

Roger

I'm not sure how they're getting in because no windows or doors have been busted. It may have been happening for about a year.

Oh and I have 3 dogs and one sounds real mean but they must not be scared of dogs or brought dog treats.

Hate to say it sounds like someone close / in your family is ripping you off. Try to keep your camera installation as hush hush as possible.

Hate to say it sounds like someone close / in your family is ripping you off. Try to keep your camera installation as hush hush as possible.

That's quite possible. I have a GF who's nephew lives with us... he's stolen quite a bit from the both of us in the past. We're tired of it and want him gone, but it's been a challenge to get him out.

I agree. I'm 95% sure I know who it is because they got into my house a few years ago and the stuff they took and the way they took it matches their MO.

My Dad let me have one of his ZyXEL IPC3605N Security Cameras yesterday but it was a pain to setup and not very user friendly, so I'm going to look into some of the ones mentioned above.

I just picked up a couple of Oco cams from Amazon for indoor monitoring. Pretty affordable cloud service if you want to keep historical recordings. REALLY easy to set up and get running. Took me literally ~30 seconds and my camera was on the internet and sending video streams to the cloud service. Only draw back is it's only viewable from a mobile device via the Ivideon app, available in the app store or google play.

Amazon product ASIN B00O7Y96IM
That said, I only needed indoor cams so I could keep an eye on one of our pups while she's crated during the day when we have to go into the office. Foscam was the highest recommended if you need indoor/outdoor usability.

Good luck!

Btw, when it comes to security cameras, get a fake one and put it in a nicely visible place.

A fraction of the cost and works as good as a real one (because what you want is the deterrence effect, not the surveilance itself). And you save the trouble of hooking it up.

Back
Top Bottom