Need recommendations for a low wattage, tube power amp

guittarzzan

Inspired
I'm in the market for a low wattage, tube power amp for recording and am hoping to get some recommendations on some I haven't heard of before.

I have a Randall Rt2/50, which rocks, but I want something that rocks at a lower volume. :)

The one's I've checked out so far are the Mesa 20/20 and the 3rd Power sv3015. The 3rd Power one is perfect for my needs, but they want $1,500 for it and that seems a bit ridiculous for just a power amp.

Any recommendations?

thanks,
Steve

Is this for use with an AxeFx? If so, why not just go direct for recording? It's kinda' good at that sort of thing. ;)

However, if you still fill you want a low power tube amp, you could get something like the Egnater Rebel and plug into the effects return. You can mix between the 6v6's and EL84's and you can use the built-in attenuator to get even less power.

kruzty said:
Is this for use with an AxeFx? If so, why not just go direct for recording? It's kinda' good at that sort of thing. ;)

However, if you still fill you want a low power tube amp, you could get something like the Egnater Rebel and plug into the effects return. You can mix between the 6v6's and EL84's and you can use the built-in attenuator to get even less power.

Yes, it's for the Axefx as well as an Engl E570 and Egnater M4. The Axefx does sound great direct, but I'm still not convinced that the guitar tracks sound quite as alive as a cab, mic, mic pre etc. It's not far off, but to my humble ears, the real deal still sounds a bit better than direct.

I'll check out the Egnater Rebel, but I'm really after something rackmountable. My little home studio is pretty organized etc and I'd rather have something racked than sitting on top of the shelf etc.

thanks,
Steve

Back
Top Bottom