• We would like to remind our members that this is a privately owned, run and supported forum. You are here at the invitation and discretion of the owners. As such, rules and standards of conduct will be applied that help keep this forum functioning as the owners desire. These include, but are not limited to, removing content and even access to the forum.

Please give yourself a refresher on the forum rules you agreed to follow when you signed up.

Need opinion on Suhr modern guitars for shredding!

dupere11497

Veteran
I've been doing some research lately on those Suhr modern guitars. I've been watching some videos on Youtube as well. Since there are no dealers near my area, I can't try one of them so maybe some users here could provide me with information about specific question I have:

1- How is the neck? Is it fearly slim? I have small hands and don't like baseball bat kind of beefy neck. Is bending strings easy with those jumbo frets?

2- What about the Gotho tremolo? Is it as good as a Floyd rose? Does it stays in tune well?

I'm into 80's shredding stuff so I wonder if those guitars fits the bill! Thanks!

TheGoatLord

Veteran
I have a Suhr Modern and it is hands down the nicest guitar I've ever played. The neck is thin but still feels sturdy in your hand. It's not an Ibanez wizard neck and it's not a Gibson baseball bat. It's thin, wide, and flat; perfect for the shred. The frets feel great to me and you can bend for days on them. The trem is not a Floyd so if that is what you're looking for, this isn't the guitar for you. That said, it is VERY stable and can bend more than enough for me. You just can't pull it up like a Floyd but dive bomb away and it always comes back perfectly. For me, this is the ultimate super strat. It does just about everything and does it very well.

Check out some Guthrie Govan videos, his signature model is a Modern with a blow switch. If you like what he's getting then you're going to like the Modern. Feel free to PM me with any specific questions and I'll try to answer as best I can.

Narzugon

Forum Addict
You just can't pull it up like a Floyd but dive bomb away and it always comes back perfectly.
Clarify the part about pulling up please. I thought being recessed that it'd be floating as well. Especially on the Modern's that I've seen pics and vids of. Is this not the case?

dupere11497

Veteran
I have a Suhr Modern and it is hands down the nicest guitar I've ever played. The neck is thin but still feels sturdy in your hand. It's not an Ibanez wizard neck and it's not a Gibson baseball bat. It's thin, wide, and flat; perfect for the shred. The frets feel great to me and you can bend for days on them. The trem is not a Floyd so if that is what you're looking for, this isn't the guitar for you. That said, it is VERY stable and can bend more than enough for me. You just can't pull it up like a Floyd but dive bomb away and it always comes back perfectly. For me, this is the ultimate super strat. It does just about everything and does it very well.

Check out some Guthrie Govan videos, his signature model is a Modern with a blow switch. If you like what he's getting then you're going to like the Modern. Feel free to PM me with any specific questions and I'll try to answer as best I can.
Thanks for the reply!

TheGoatLord

Veteran
Clarify the part about pulling up please. I thought being recessed that it'd be floating as well. Especially on the Modern's that I've seen pics and vids of. Is this not the case?
Meaning it sits a lot lower than a floyd does. A floyd has a good half an inch, if not more, of clearance between the floor of the recessed base and the end of the bridge. The Gotho is a more traditional trem with maybe 3/8 of an inch on a good day.

That shows what I'm talking about if you're having a hard time visualizing it. Withe the floyd extending out far past the pivot point, a much larger arc is able to be made than with a standard trem.

Geezerjohn

Fractal Fanatic
I have a Suhr Modern with the Goyoh Floyd and I can bend it both ways. If you set it up well it stays in perfect tune even with really aggressive whammy. I have the SSH in the neck and the SSH+ in the bridge with a 5 way switch. Jumbo SS frets. Plays like buttah. It is my #1 go to guitar. Not sure what else you would be looking at that would top the Shur Modern. It is a killer guitar. Gives me all sorts of gorgeous tone for days.

Narzugon

Forum Addict
The trem is not a Floyd so if that is what you're looking for, this isn't the guitar for you. That said, it is VERY stable and can bend more than enough for me. You just can't pull it up like a Floyd but dive bomb away and it always comes back perfectly.
I see my confusion. Some people don't consider the Gotoh Floyd a real Floyd. So I assumed you had the Gotoh Floyd but found it to be sub-par. But you actually have the Gotoh standard style trem. The Modern series offers both, Gotoh standard and Gotoh Floyd. Suhr doesn't offer genuine Floyds.

I'm awaiting my Suhr order to be completed and have never laid hands on a Gotoh Floyd. I currently have an original production model Floyd on my main strat (20+ years) and had slight reservations about the Gotoh version since I've never played one. Needless to say I was concerned when I read your post. :)

TheGoatLord

Veteran
I see my confusion. Some people don't consider the Gotoh Floyd a real Floyd. So I assumed you had the Gotoh Floyd but found it to be sub-par. But you actually have the Gotoh standard style trem. The Modern series offers both, Gotoh standard and Gotoh Floyd. Suhr doesn't offer genuine Floyds.

I'm awaiting my Suhr order to be completed and have never laid hands on a Gotoh Floyd. I currently have an original production model Floyd on my main strat (20+ years) and had slight reservations about the Gotoh version since I've never played one. Needless to say I was concerned when I read your post. :)
You are correct. I totally forgot that they made this with a Floyd option. My mistake.

stratamania

Fractal Fanatic
If it helps, I have tried a number of Suhr Moderns, with and without the locking trems. The Gotoh Floyd is fine. I would not worry that it isn't an Original Floyd, the Suhr is a high end guitar with parts to suit not a budget guitar with a lower quality licensed Floyd. Not all non original Floyds are the same quality.

The neck is thicker than a Jem wizard neck but isn't what I would class as thick like a U or boat shape. The standard moderns have a slight asymetric carve Modern Elliptical .800-.850" thickness, and are comfortable necks. A little like a C but an ellipse rather than an even arc.

I have a bunch of Suhrs and I am replacing the Original Floyd Roses with the Gotoh version.
They just sound better and stay in tune 100%, like the arm fastening better too.
The OFR's I am keeping are the ones from the eighties when they were made properly, they are not anymore and that is why Suhr stopped using them awhile ago.

Anyway the Modern is a great shredmachine!
I just love fatter necks so I don't have any moderns anymore since they had the thin(for me at least) necks they come standard with mostly.

Top Bottom