Need more ears on this demo

MetalGarret

Inspired

This is a demo track I'm working on and I need some ears on it cause mine are about to bleed through constant mixing, tweaking and reamping. Thanks to FW 11 beta, I think my journey for my guitar tone could be coming to and end! I'm just about there with that. But my bass needs work. Trying to find the right level and distortion seems to be a chore. I can't tell from here but could someone tell me if the bass is overpowering anywhere? Are the percussive plucking too much? SanzAmp either gives me too little or too much of anything so I might be looking into a new source of saturation. I used Slate VTM on the bass track and the master to try and sweeten things up. I more FEEL the difference than hear it. It's demoed so I'm not quite sure I'm gonna buy it just yet. There are minor mistakes here and there (its a demo) and there are blank spots where it's just the bass and drums going because I haven't put the lead or keyboard parts all in yet. The loudest part of the mix is at around 6:31 where everything goes fucking apeshit. (<-----is apeshit one word or two?)

Any suggestions are most welcomed. Any tips or tricks of the mixing trade especially.

Try saturation or distortion on a bass in a daw. It lacks mid content and lows about 100. Try to listen to bass, bass drum and snare only and adjust bass to kick nice with a bass drum, now they are disconnected.
Guitars are quite ok no need to reamp anything just some EQing by taste. Drums are abit deep in the mix..... may be try to increase some higher freqs on a room channel.... or compress it abit....

When I EQed the bass I passed the lows approx. to 300. It has 100. It might just be because that part of the bass is too low. I have another bass track with SanzAmp for distortion that only has the mid to highs (400 and up). That could be too high in volume. It's really hard to EQ a bass. I have both bass tracks bussed and I have VTM, H-Comp and Massey L2007 Limiter on it. Perhaps I need to balance them out. The drums I may have EQed too much and that's what burried them. I'll remix those. Thanks! If anyone else has any other suggestions I'm definitely open to them.

Cool song! I love the updated clip. The guitars sound way tighter to my ears now, specially during the chords at the beginning. The drums sound a tad weaker starting at about 0:50 though, I'm guessing it's the lack of cymbals from the previous section. Makes it sound emptier I think.

Might be just me though, it sounds good overall :)

Cool song! I love the updated clip. The guitars sound way tighter to my ears now, specially during the chords at the beginning. The drums sound a tad weaker starting at about 0:50 though, I'm guessing it's the lack of cymbals from the previous section. Makes it sound emptier I think.

Might be just me though, it sounds good overall :)

Yeah the cymbals take a break and the hithat takes over. There's suppose to be keyboard work going into this to fill out the spectrum so I did have reason for that. It would also help if I fixed the little tiny break in the guitars at around the same place. Shoulda put a crossfade. I forgot to do that.

But it's good to know I'm making progress. This is the best version of this mix .

Back
Top Bottom