need input for second cab choice (stereo rig)

Chewie5150

Fractal Fanatic
Okay, I've been really narrowing down some options for a second cab purchase to compliment my current rig: Ultra--Mesa 2:90--2x12 recto vert cab w/v30's.

Here's my sitch: not for live/gigging purposes. Purely for my own Gratuitous ear pleasure in the house. I know the stereo thing is not everyone's bag, but love it anyway. I do realize that for 'true stereo imaging' you need physical space separating the two cabs. And I know that this is all 'overkill' in terms of power:)

The reason I'm looking for a second cab is that my v30's sound great for high gain, but lacking in the cleans. so I am thinking of a second cab to compliment and bring forth the cleans a bit better. Here are my considerations: (would love input on this)

I know the following is all Mesa products...the point again is for me to have a second cab that will help bring out the cleans.

1) 212 - Mesa road king (comes loaded with one v30 & c90--the side with the c90 has an open panel on the back) or...

2) 212 - Mesa tuned 3/4 back loaded with C90's. or...

3) 212 - Lonestar cab also loaded with C90's not sure how different this is from no. 2 above. or...

4) instead of running 2-2x12's; there is the 4x12 road king cab. It has v30's top to bottom on one side (closed) and the other side is open and loaded with C90's. this has me intrigued as i will get the lush stereo effects from Ultra but won't be able to physically separate them obviously.

thoughts?

no love for this thread:) awhhrg I could really use the input since there's potentially a great local deal on a 4x12 road king cab

I would think that you would want to go with another 2X12 of some sort. I would worry about the 4X12 on one side since they sound so different than a 2X12.

A pair of the older Mesa Vert cabs with one open one closed with 30's in the closed and EV12L in the open, that would be a killer combo. Or the passive Reactor cabs like you are contemplating and go FR all the way.

Back
Top Bottom