Need help with wireless selection

CornBread

ok guys I am looking to go wireless with my axe iii. I’m at a toss up between
sennheiser ew172 g4 or shure ulx or Slx or Glx any input on selecting one that sounds good and has great performance and range.

I want as much range as possible and be at 650 bucks or less. At a few events we do it can be about 260-300 feet for us on the island stages.

I want as much range as possible and be at 650 bucks or less. At a few events we do it can be about 260-300 feet for us on the island stages.
I’d guess stages like that put repeated antennas near those islands. 300 feet is pretty far even for UHF.

I've been using a couple of Line6 Relay G90's for about 7 years now, and they've been pretty much bullet proof for me. That being said, I've had a number of Line6 products over the years, and the few times I've had to get support from them, it's always been somewhat of a fiasco...Enough so that I will likely not buy anymore Line6 products. I haven't used any of the newer Shure units, but I have used some of the Sennheiser G4 wireless mics and in my experience, they seem to be a little more prone to outside wireless interference. As long as the transmitter is on, the transmitter typically overrides any interference, but the minute the transmitter goes off...BAM! Spikes all over the place. Not all the time, but enough to be annoying. It hasn't been consistent enough that I've been able to do a thorough troubleshoot (other than changing frequencies, which hasn't worked), and frankly, AA batteries are cheap. If the quick fix is leaving the transmitter on versus trying to troubleshoot at a gig, guess which one I'm picking?

I currently am using the Shure ULX and love it. It doesn't mess with your tone at all as long as you have the gain levels on the unit set correctly. Before it I was using a Line 6 G70 and was never happy with it. It's built like a tank but I could always here and feel a difference in tone between it and a cable.

Last edited:
I currently am using the Shure ULX and love it. It doesn't mess with your tone at all as long as you have the gain levels on the unit set correctly. Before it I was using a Line 6 G70 and was never happy with it. It's built like a tank but I could always here and feel a difference in tone between it and a cable.

Haven’t tried the G70 but I’m surprised. The G90 and X70/75 didn’t have that issue.

I've got the Line 6 G75, no issues. The drop out problems were primarily related to an earlier firmware release. That, and disable the battery saver (although that may also have been related to the earlier firmware).

I just make sure I scan for the preferred channel before the show, and when I do that I've never had a problem. That's probably true of any wireless, but may be especially important with the 2.4GHz systems. 300+ shows, indoors and outdoors in a variety of environments, no problems. Also, I use rechargable batteries. They tend to stay closer to their rated voltage as they discharge.

you don't want to go that far from the stage without antenna distribution. besides dropout the delay will be horrific.

Back
Top Bottom