Need help with these two issues

357mag

First off I plugged in my headphones and loaded up a few stock presets but the sound is only coming out of the left speaker in my headphones. I don't hear sound coming from the right.

Second I pressed the Input/Output button to set the input level and the manual says to set the gain so you just tickle the red lights when strumming hard. I'm already strumming hard at about 90 percent on the input level and I can't make the red lights light up.

And what is the Instr In knob for? How do I set that?

Not sure how to solve these two issues.

But is there a way I'm supposed to set it to a certain level? And I'm still only get sound in the left speaker.

Set the knob that says Instru. Headphones are plugged in all the way already. They work fine with my POD.

Hi 357mag
I’d suggest the adapter you are using to convert the 1/8 plucg to 1/4 inch is the issue. Some of my senhesser headphones have adapters that screw in - ie you plug the 1/8 inch plug into the 1/4 inch, then bring it home by screwing them together like a nut and bolt. Maybe (if it’s one of those type) it’s not fully connecting both channels because it’s not screwed in.
Thanks
Pauly

First off I plugged in my headphones and loaded up a few stock presets but the sound is only coming out of the left speaker in my headphones. I don't hear sound coming from the right.

Second I pressed the Input/Output button to set the input level and the manual says to set the gain so you just tickle the red lights when strumming hard. I'm already strumming hard at about 90 percent on the input level and I can't make the red lights light up.

And what is the Instr In knob for? How do I set that?

Not sure how to solve these two issues.

I got my headphones to work on both sides. What I had to do was not plug the plug in all the way in the jack. So I may need to pick up a different headphone tip.
Hi 357mag
I’d suggest the adapter you are using to convert the 1/8 plucg to 1/4 inch is the issue. Some of my senhesser headphones have adapters that screw in - ie you plug the 1/8 inch plug into the 1/4 inch, then bring it home by screwing them together like a nut and bolt. Maybe (if it’s one of those type) it’s not fully connecting both channels because it’s not screwed in.
Thanks
Pauly
I ordered a mono tip from Amazon. Mine right now is tip and ring and sleeve and maybe you're supposed to use a mono tip.

Well I'm sure mine is screwed in all the way. Don't know what to do unless I tried buying some kind of new adapter for my phones.

By half pulling the headphone jack out all you're doing is shorting the stereo left and right signals into one

Maybe open the AxeFX up by taking the lid off and check the Input/Headphone board connections are properly seated - also you'll maybe have a better view of the headphone socket legs to see if either the tip and ring ones are bent too far away from the inserted TRS jack and gently push them in tighter to the jack plug

The Input board is top left on the pic below

Pcb-axefx2.jpg

If it looks to be more a failure on the Input board that whole pcb board could perhaps be still available to buy as a legacy part still in stock if you contact Fractal ..... or let a local electical engineering guy have a look at it for fixing or soldering a new headphone socket to it?

I took the top off and it looks fine to me. Connection seems tight. Problem is now when I took the cover off I pulled the fan connection off. I didn't know there was a fan attached to the underside of the metal cover. Where do I connect the fan to?

Small white 3 pin header on the front edge (closest to the front panel) of the main board about in the middle. Should be labeled on the board as well.

Sorry - I should have mentioned to go easy when taking the lid off because of the fan connector needing pulled when halfway off

Are you able to test the main outputs (Output 1 left and right) to make sure they are working for stereo operation? Either send them to studio monitors or 2 channels on a mixer etc. The headphone out is a mirror of Output 1 so if the main Output 1 L and R are working then your issue is very probably to do with the headphone out socket/pcb or the headphone jack or just the adapter. I'd try a new adapter first as it's cheapest option.

As for the I/O 'Instr In' setting ...... just use your highest output guitar and strum it hard at full volume knob setting and turn the INSTR IN value up until you see the reds coming on peridically in the led meters.

If you don't see the reds lighting up even after the value is up at 100% then it's no cause for alarm .... seems it can work out this way for some users. Mine's at 13.3% but I've seen others reporting much higher and were told by Fractal staff that it was fine

Okay I fixed it. I think the headphone jack is defective though as I only have sound in the left.
Check it against the L and R output 1 outputs on the back of unit -- are those outputs both showing signal or is it only L there as well?

Back
Top Bottom