Need help with some sounds...

DavidE

Power User
I'm trying to create some of my own sounds that fit my needs and I'm finding some things difficult.

For example. I want to set up a block with a script phase 90 sound on X and a univibe sound on Y. Seems simple enough. The Phase 90 was. But I can't figure out how to get the Classic Vibe to sound like a classic vibe. I turned the bulb bias way down and got it closer, but I can't figure out what else to change to make it sound like a univibe. I was hoping the stock factory settings would be there and maybe need only fine tweaking for my personal taste.

I also found the factory settings of the Deluxe Mind Guy (I thought we didn't get this one in the initial software, but it's there) to be too far off from what I expected to hear.

I can turn knobs until the cows come home, but has anyone come up with settings for these (to get started)?

I'd appreciate the assistance.

Thanks

The FX blocks are all the same as the rack units. So, for the most mileage it would be a good idea to do searches on the entire Fractal forum and to ask this question on the main Axe FX 2 forum. Which I imagine you already have done. If some has a preset where they nailed the Univibe, ask them to export the block and post it to the thread. Or post the preset in the AX8 preset thread and ask for someone to export the block for you (NeoSound was kind enough to do that for me the other day). I just copied the Phaser block from the Machine Gun preset myself, but when it comes to most effects I'm usually non-picky to the point of indifference when it comes to nailing the nuances of this particular pedal or that particular pedal. Which is good I guess, because Cliff doesn't seem particularly interested in providing that stuff out-of-the box (although it's certainly gotten better in that regard than it was when the Axe FX 2 first launched).
-
Austin

The FX blocks are all the same as the rack units. So, for the most mileage it would be a good idea to do searches on the entire Fractal forum and to ask this question on the main Axe FX 2 forum. Which I imagine you already have done. If some has a preset where they nailed the Univibe, ask them to export the block and post it to the thread. Or post the preset in the AX8 preset thread and ask for someone to export the block for you (NeoSound was kind enough to do that for me the other day). I just copied the Phaser block from the Machine Gun preset myself, but when it comes to most effects I'm usually non-picky to the point of indifference when it comes to nailing the nuances of this particular pedal or that particular pedal. Which is good I guess, because Cliff doesn't seem particularly interested in providing that stuff out-of-the box (although it's certainly gotten better in that regard than it was when the Axe FX 2 first launched).
-
Austin

Why call it a classic vibe if it doesn't sound like one? I guess I don't get that. Seems that the tools are there if you know how to set all the parameters.

Why call it a classic vibe if it doesn't sound like one? I guess I don't get that. Seems that the tools are there if you know how to set all the parameters.

IMO, if you are looking for modeled effects (other than drive pedals), Fractal isn't the best place to look. Some companies (you know who I'm talking about ;)) seem to try to model everything in their units to match some real-world box. All the progress towards that end with Fractal units seems to be customer-driven. So if no one on the main forum has figured it out to your satisfaction and you can't dial it in yourself; you might be out of luck.
-
Austin

It sounds exactly like the pedal it was modeled after, a Fulltone Deja-Vibe. That, however, may not be your idea of what it should sound like. If you are using Line 6 as a reference, their effects are often exaggerated caricatures of the real thing. Our models are more subtle and strive for accuracy.

Last edited:
It sounds exactly like the pedal it was modeled after, a Fulltone Deja-Vibe. That, however, may not be your idea of what it should sound like. If you are using Line 6 as a reference, their effects are often exaggerated caricatures of the real thing. Our models are more subtle and strive for accuracy.

I have often thought that the Vibe simulation in the AxeFX was a bit "tame". It lacks a little of the "randomness" of some of the vibe units I have owned. The fact that it's modeled after the Deja-vibe explains lot. That is not my favorite vibe pedal. A friend has one of the real early Deja-Vibe pedals and that pedal sounds fantastic. But Fulltone changed the design early on, and not for the better, IMO.

Cliff, is there any chance you could make a separate Univibe block at some point in the future and model a few different pedals? The Sweet Sound Mojo Vibe is one that use to own that I liked a lot.

I forgot about this thread: http://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/has-anyone-created-a-univibe.105414/

I'm not comparing to Line 6. I'm comparing to Trower, Beatles and other classic unified tones. Is that Bridge patch for AX8? If not, can someone strip out the phaser block?

I had a Deja Vibe years ago and I remember it sounding different. Less phase and more throb and more random.

Edit: I see that it is an AxeII patch so can't load it on the AX8.

I also noted that it took hours for Mr. strat to come up with the preset. "I'm really glad you guys are finding the patch useful. Makes those hours of tweaking all worth it! :encouragement:". I would think that type of vibe sound would be a staple of these types of units. Especially with the Fx8 on the roster. I'll second Eric's request.

Last edited:
Reactions: yek
-
Austin

I found a number of threads with people asking the same question.

Type: Classic Vibe
Rate 1.700
Depth 7.09
Feedback 21.3
Freq 96.0
Order 8
LFO Triangle
Tone 0
Freq Span 3.83
LFO Phase 0.0 (block is placed before amp = mono)
Feedback Tap 0
Bulb Bias 2.97
Mix 100

Type: Classic Vibe
Rate 1.700
Depth 7.09
Feedback 21.3
Freq 96.0
Order 8
LFO Triangle
Tone 0
Freq Span 3.83
LFO Phase 0.0 (block is placed before amp = mono)
Feedback Tap 0
Bulb Bias 2.97
Mix 100

Thanks! I'll try this today. Much appreciated.

Now that there are multiple platforms, maybe a Block Axechange would be good for sharing things across multiple platforms.

Last edited:
I tried the settings and they're much closer to what I expect to hear. Thanks. I can probably tweak to my individual taste from here. What surprises me though us how different these settings are from the stock settings. Which goes back to my original point.

Thanks MrStrat and Yek for the assist!

What surprises me though us how different these settings are from the stock settings. Which goes back to my original point.

In the end it's a matter of personal taste and expectations. IIRC forum member @hippietim uses the vibe at stock settings (he'll correct me if I'm wrong), and the recordings I heard from him sounded excellent.

I still prefer and use my old Sweet Sound Mojo Vibe pedal in front of the Axe but I can get a very useable univibe setting from the model in the Axe with some tweaking.. in fact I use it instead of the mojo vibe when I need a brighter univibe tone. I think my settings are somewhat similar to yek's above.. I'll try to look later and post them if they're different.

In the end it's a matter of personal taste and expectations. IIRC forum member @hippietim uses the vibe at stock settings (he'll correct me if I'm wrong), and the recordings I heard from him sounded excellent.

Tim: If you have links to a recording I'd like to give it a listen.

Thanks!

I still prefer and use my old Sweet Sound Mojo Vibe pedal in front of the Axe but I can get a very useable univibe setting from the model in the Axe with some tweaking.. in fact I use it instead of the mojo vibe when I need a brighter univibe tone. I think my settings are somewhat similar to yek's above.. I'll try to look later and post them if they're different.

Thanks

What you heard would have been the settings in the patch - I don't know how much that varies from what you'd get if you just plop a block down in an empty preset.

I did create my own gigging patches for 4CM that included a vibe - I know I changed the depth slightly but I don't recall changing anything else for the vibe and it sounded great to me.

Back
Top Bottom