Need help with pitchshifter

frankiev

Experienced
Im completly at a loss regarding how to setup the pitch shifter. The settings on the axe make no sense to me due to my lack of knowledge. Im currently using a digitech ips 33b for chromatic harmonies . The settings on the 33b are tittled 1-3-5,8-5-8 etc . How do I translate these to the axe pitch shifter? .Im even thinking of just buying an eventide h3000 to avoid the stress but it seems like a waste to do that considering the axe pitchshifter probably sounds better not to mention the cost . Im just lost on the axe settings of shift, detune and delay . Especially shift , what do the numbers mean in relation to pitch ? How and when do I use delay ? detune?
Thanks in advance for any help

If you think the Axe-fx is confusing the Eventide will be much worse.

First read the pitch-shift section of the manual. It explains a lot of what you are asking.

Use delay when you want the pitchshift to follow after the original note (you can make a simple arpeggio) or just to give a little separation.

Dtune can be used for a chorusing or double tracking type effect.

In fixed harmony, shift adjusts the pitch by a numebr of semitones (half-steps).

With intelligent harmony the voice harmony adjusts the scale intervals.

If you lets us know what you are trying accomplish at this time, we could help with that.

Thanks java . I will read the manual although I find it a bit confusing . For now Id like to just copy the ips 33b settings . for instance how do I copy the preset labeled 8-5-8 with regard to semitones .Im assuming 8 is an 8th and 5 is a fifth . How many semitones in a 5th? or an 8th. How do I get a 3 part harmony.

I took a look at the manual . I guess the missing piece for me is how many semi tones in a 5th 8th 3rd etc . I also see that the axe will only do 2 0.voices in fixed harmony
Still thinking about the eventide ,if just for the presets . What do you think? Is it worth the money (found one for 900)

Information is useless without knowledge ... If you copy and paste without comprehension you'll need advice and trust always with your eyes closed ... But you're welcome
Minor third is 3 and major 3 is 4 semitones ... Just in case

Maybe its just me but I dont understand replies like this . Appreciate the advice

Well, his advise sounds on the mark actually. I'd think trying to create 3 part harmonies without understanding what makes those harmonies would be pretty difficult. Just for correctness, there is no such thing as an '8th" in a harmony. That 8-5-8 equals scale degrees. 8=1, which would be an octave. That is 12 semitones, as stated already. The 5 is likely the 5th scale degree, which is 7 semitones. I'm not sure why there are 2 of the 8, unless one is above and one is below, or one is detuned for chorus or delayed a bit.

A major scale is 8 notes
2 = maj second = 2 semitones
3 = maj third = 4 semitones
4 = perfect 4th = 5 semitones
5 = perfect 5th = 7 semitones
6= maj 6th = 9 semitones
7 = maj 7th = 11 semitones
8 = Octave = 12 semitones

Of course this all changes with minor scale, or any one of the modes. Often with guitar harmony lines, 3rds, and 5ths are common.

You could use the global custom scales if you really get in a bind. They are the easiest to set up exactly how you want. I only wish more slots were available. And FORGET the Eventide H3000. It's garbage for intelligent shifting. I mean useless.

Thanks java . I will read the manual although I find it a bit confusing . For now Id like to just copy the ips 33b settings . for instance how do I copy the preset labeled 8-5-8 with regard to semitones .Im assuming 8 is an 8th and 5 is a fifth . How many semitones in a 5th? or an 8th. How do I get a 3 part harmony.

you get a three part harmony by mixing the dry (no pitch) and the 2 other voices (3rd, 5th). You can get more complex harmonies by using 2 pitch blocks in parallel.

I am not familiar with 8-5-8 preset. Is it an octave down, 5th up, and octave up?

I tend to play the middle voice myself, and I program my harmonizer to play a major 3rd above (4 semitones up) and the major sixth, but one octave lower than the major sixth, so that it is lower than what I am playing. You can program -3 semitones down for that.

The Boston song "Amanda" for instance in G major means if I fret the high D on the 15th fret of the B string, the Axe Fx will voice high F# (found on fret 14 of the high E string), and it will voice a B, which you would have to play on fret 16 of the G string. This would be a B minor chord which fits into the key of G, and the Axe Fx maintains the key signature provided you play within the key of G yourself. Set the key to fit the song you are performing.

So, if you program one voice 4 semitones up, and the other voice -3 semitones down, you will get this grouping.

Sounds good in the song section: "I wanna take you by surprise and make you realize, Amanda. I wanna tell you right away, I can't wait another day, Amanda" with the melody played in the solo by the lead guitar.

And one of the primary reasons I do it this way, rather than playing the root myself and letting the harmonizer provide a 3rd and 5th, is that if I go all the way up the neck, by that point the harmonizer is playing a note way beyond a guitar's range, and of course, it sounds artificial. With my harmonizer only a 3rd away in each direction, I can maintain some sense of realism at each end of the instrument's range.

I tend to play the middle voice myself, and I program my harmonizer to play a major 3rd above (4 semitones up) and the major sixth, but one octave lower than the major sixth, so that it is lower than what I am playing. You can program -3 semitones down for that.

The Boston song "Amanda" for instance in G major means if I fret the high D on the 15th fret of the B string, the Axe Fx will voice high F# (found on fret 14 of the high E string), and it will voice a B, which you would have to play on fret 16 of the G string. This would be a B minor chord which fits into the key of G, and the Axe Fx maintains the key signature provided you play within the key of G yourself. Set the key to fit the song you are performing.

So, if you program one voice 4 semitones up, and the other voice -3 semitones down, you will get this grouping.

Sounds good in the song section: "I wanna take you by surprise and make you realize, Amanda. I wanna tell you right away, I can't wait another day, Amanda" with the melody played in the solo by the lead guitar.

And one of the primary reasons I do it this way, rather than playing the root myself and letting the harmonizer provide a 3rd and 5th, is that if I go all the way up the neck, by that point the harmonizer is playing a note way beyond a guitar's range, and of course, it sounds artificial. With my harmonizer only a 3rd away in each direction, I can maintain some sense of realism at each end of the instrument's range.
You make it sound easy!
How is -3 semitones down a major sixth . I thought 9 semi tones was a major sisth

Because it is the octave below the major sixth.

In the key of C, the major sixth is A. If you wanted the Axe FX to play the A ABOVE the C you were fretting, you'd program the device to play a 9 semitone interval (yes you are correct about that).

However, you are already going to have a major 3rd harmony, which would be an E, in the key of C. So, my method is to go ahead and play a major 6th (which would be an A) but not to play the A above the C I am fretting, but to play the A below the C I am fretting. That A is only 3 semitones below (or -3 semitones).

I am playing a note, and the Axe is playing one harmony, a major 3rd above my fretted note (+4 semitones), and it is also playing one harmony, a minor 3rd beneath my fretted note (-3 semitones).

Last edited:
Intervals(semitones)=

1st, #1st/b2nd, 2nd, #2nd/b3rd, 3rd, 4th, #4th/b5th, 5th, #5th/b6th, 6th, #6th/b7th, 7th; e.g:

C, C#/Db, D, D#/Eb, E, F, F#/Gb, G, G#/Ab, A, A#/Bb, B

The more you study music theory, the more you'll come to realize just how structured and orderly scales and arpeggios are. That makes learning how
to play properly and with variation much easier than you would have thought without having that knowledge. It will get you out of your rut.

You make it sound easy!
How is -3 semitones down a major sixth . I thought 9 semi tones was a major sisth

circle1.jpg

Start on any notes and count clockwise (up in pitch) to any note or count counter-clockwise (down in pitch) to any note.

Example: Starting from C count up 4 semitones to "E" or count down 8 semitones to "E"

Back
Top Bottom