Need help with pitch controlled modifier on bass preset

ChristThePhone

Fractal Fanatic
Hi folks, I could use some help fine tuning a bass preset on the AX8 for Toni Levin's bass octave sound he used on Peter Gabriels Sledgehammer song. I put a pitch block in octave divider mode in front of the amp. The problem with that block is that is doesn't sound really good on the lower notes, e.g. when playing the G# on the E-string, so I'd like to use a pitch controlled modifier on the mix dial to let it turn down the mix below the A. The problem with the pitch control is that it pretty much considers all bass notes below its range so it effectively never turn the mix dial up. Any ideas on how to fix this ?

I gave up when I was trying to get similar and bought an octave pedal. That was a few firmware versions ago though, but if you're on the latest, it sounds like nothing much has changed in that regard sadly. If I get time I'll mess around with it again, but it'll be a week or more before I'll have time.

I gave up when I was trying to get similar and bought an octave pedal. That was a few firmware versions ago though, but if you're on the latest, it sounds like nothing much has changed in that regard sadly. If I get time I'll mess around with it again, but it'll be a week or more before I'll have time.

I'm on 8.02. No plans to go to 9. Thanks for the response.

Try playing an octave higher and have two shifted notes, one down 12 and one down 24. Use the fixed shift 100% wet

Are you trying to set this up to play Sledgehammer? TL doesn't play below Bb (or use the 4th string at all) in the song.

The octave divider (and other things that rely on pitch tracking) always seemed fine down to G on bass here though. For F# or lower, fixed harmony mode is a better choice. The detector treats them as if played an octave higher, but seems pretty fast/reliable aside from that.

Are you trying to set this up to play Sledgehammer? TL doesn't play below Bb (or use the 4th string at all) in the song.

The octave divider (and other things that rely on pitch tracking) always seemed fine down to G on bass here though. For F# or lower, fixed harmony mode is a better choice. The detector treats them as if played an octave higher, but seems pretty fast/reliable aside from that.

Good info. Will try that. To be honest: I'm a guitarist occasionally trying to play bass. I usually find tabs on the web or YT and the stuff I found so far was making use of the 4th string.

Good info. Will try that. To be honest: I'm a guitarist occasionally trying to play bass. I usually find tabs on the web or YT and the stuff I found so far was making use of the 4th string.

Tried the fixed harmony mode and found it tracks even worst so I went back to the octave div mode.

Some tricks:

Play higher with a modifier lowering the mix for higer notes.

Use local pitch detection with a filter block cutting out the lows, run the pitch shifter in parallel.

A compressor or a MB compressor before the pitch shifter could help.

A drive before or after the pitch can help to glue everything together.

Use new strings and a good setup.

You can cannibalize my pitch shift block on the Axe-Change called something like Prog Bass. The preset itself is from an old firmware so probably doesn't sounds good, but I still use that pitch block quite successfully for Levin type octave down.

Search Dr Bonkers there on Axe Change and it should show up.

@GiRa : Thanks for the suggestions. The pitch controlled mix/level doesn't work as explained in my opening post. I already have a compressor in front of the pitch block and tried to play with the local/global tracking without success. The only fix so far was to avoid the low notes as was suggested by Bakerman and I guess that how I'm going to deal with it.

@dr bonkers I found your 'Hairy Funky Prog Bass' preset on AxeChange for the AxeFX II fw 17 and ran it through FracTool to convert it to my AX8. Unfortunately it doesn't actually have an octave sound, it uses the pitch block to add some +/- 5ct detune

@GiRa : Thanks for the suggestions. The pitch controlled mix/level doesn't work as explained in my opening post. I already have a compressor in front of the pitch block and tried to play with the local/global tracking without success. The only fix so far was to avoid the low notes as was suggested by Bakerman and I guess that how I'm going to deal with it.
That was exactly my first suggestion, but I wrote it very poorly :)

@dr bonkers I found your 'Hairy Funky Prog Bass' preset on AxeChange for the AxeFX II fw 17 and ran it through FracTool to convert it to my AX8. Unfortunately it doesn't actually have an octave sound, it uses the pitch block to add some +/- 5ct detune
I'm sorry about the bad recollection on my part..

Name of the preset with the octave down block is Snarly Husky Bass.

Back
Top Bottom