Need help with pickups (BKP Juggernaut set)

I'm going to try my best to not go full on story mode here.

I had the EMG 707x pickups replaced in my .strandberg OS with a set of BKP Juggernauts that I purchased second-hand.

These pickups came out of another .strandberg and are slightly slanted to perfectly fit the cavity.

When my tech installed the new pickups, he was unable to properly ground them because the guitar did not come pre-drilled and he didn't want to risk damaging the guitar. The result of this was background electric-like buzzing every time the pickups were engaged (I never got shocked or anything like that). Also, the pickups are not as hot or loud as I imagined them to be, I figured that resolving the grounding issue would fix this.

I shipped the guitar to .strandberg so they can properly ground the pickups - buzzing issue was not resolved.

I shipped the guitar to .strandberg again so that they can take a second look and see if maybe the pickups were not installed properly - buzzing issue was slightly resolved (still not 100% quiet after notes ring but a lot better than before) but the pickups are still not as hot as my SD Black Winters or my Dimarzio Titans. They are very clear, but not as loud/hot as my other pickups, even my 'non-high gain' pickups are louder than these.

Assuming everything is properly installed, does it sound to you guys like I just got a bad set of pickups?

From what I understand those should be pretty hot. I would contact BKP and they can tell you what the coil resistance should be, and you can measure with a multimeter. Also bkp seem highly sensitive to height so might take a look at that. As far as grounding you can check with an multimeter as well. See if there is any resistance between the strings and the pup ground for example.

Using a low gain patch, touch the bridge or a metal part of the guitar. If doing this significantly reduces the noise then you have a grounding problem. Otherwise its probably coming from somewhere else.

Sorry to hear you're having problems with the guitar. Im not sure but don't Strandbergs have some sort of deal with them being grounded through the zero fret? Hope you get it resolved man, that guitar was sweet!

Sorry to hear you're having problems with the guitar. I'm not sure but don't Strandbergs have some sort of deal with them being grounded through the zero fret? Hope you get it resolved man, that guitar was sweet!

Hey man!

I actually got this resolved. There was nothing wrong with the guitar when I first received it. The problems mentioned were all related to the pickup swap. .strandberg actually fixed the problem the second time around, I just needed to adjust the pickup height. As soon as I brought the pickups closer to the strings, they just came to life.

As @Tahoebrian5 mentioned above, these pickups are incredibly sensitive to height adjustments. I've never experienced this with any other pickups I've owned.

Thanks for checking in though and thanks to everyone who contributed to this post.

Back
Top Bottom