Need help with my pedalboard project

GuttaLaser

Power User
Hi ppl,

can someone help me please checking this project?First of all I'm an AxeFx II owner

I need 4 Mission pedals:
1 with switch for WHA
1 no switch but spring loaded for WHAMMY (using the autoengage feature)
1 no switch no spring for VOLUME
1 no switch no spring for other expression stuff (delay mix/tempo, chorus/flanger ratios... etc.)

and then i need a 4 temp.switch extention box.

And obiously an MFC 101.

Now i need to know if can i hook all this stuff coz in know that the Mission pedal with the switch need a switch jack hole one the MFC and the 4 switch box need 2 jack holes and the MFC only have 2 switch holes. Can i use the pedal jack on the AxeFx for the switch jack from the WHA pedal?

TNX for your help

Yes, that should work. I'd revisit the "need" for it though and stick with what's available on the back of the MFC - 4 expression pedals and 4 switches.

TNX Chris and Johan
my point is... 1 pedal with switch (the WHA) needs 1 expression pedal and 1 switch holes... and the 4 switch extention box needs 2 switch holes...
and AFAIK ... the MCF has only 2 switch holes... so...
how can I connect all this stuff?

maybe a simple scheme can help me

Yes, you can't connect all of that using the MFC only. What I meant was that there's many, many different ways of doing things with the MFC so I'd look at either removing one of the switches or one of the mission pedals. You can for instance use auto engage for wah as well so you don't need a switch for that mission pedal.

A word of advice: rethink if you really need it all.

Do you really need to be able to engage a Whammy at all times?
Or would a preset change suffice? Switching between pedal duties within a preset is also possible.

And external switches really are useful only (IMHO) as momentary switches.
Using them as latching switches has serious drawbacks. So what would you use 4 momentary switches for?

You can do either the following:
4 expression pedals without a switch + 4 external MOMENTARY (only!) switches so if you would like to have an expression together with a switch than the external ones are going to 3 in total.
BUT…..
As mentioned above me, do you really need that much?

Yeah, I'm not one to ever talk someone down from GAS, but I started down that wormhole and ended up with a lot of crap that just ended up taking up space and actually created more work to manage.

Ok ok... no GAS (well ... just a little bit!) ... only a full functional full optional setup.
Yep I know i can change the function of a single expression pedal in a per-preset way.
But this don't resolve the problem about the switches.
In my mind the 4 temporary switches can be used say... 2 for up/dwn scenes... and say 2 for the -1/+1db feature... or all 4 for scenes change... or for looper function... leaving the maximum amount of of switches on the MCF free for presets and fxs on/off and tuner ect... ect...
so don't pay too much attenction to the number of pedals i want... i can scale down to 3 or 2
let say i want just one expression pedal with switch for say... the WHA ... and a 4 temporary switches extention box...
it is possible or just not?

Yes. I have the setup (more or less) you are describing; 4 ext switches, and 4 expression pedals. See pics:

IMG_1291_zpsfa30af0d.jpg

IMG_1292_zpsbcb7c6a9.jpg

4 ext switches (Roadrunner´s extension module), connected to the two "switches"-inputs on the MFC. Mine are programmed to SCENE UP/DOWN and VOL INCR/DECR.

4 expression pedals. I have one Mission SP-1 (with switch and spring loaded), two Mission EP-1 (not spring loaded), and one Mission XPB-R (the small one with the rotary pot). These are connected to the MFC´s expression pedals inputs, 1 through 4.

I first had only the one SP-1 and the two EP-1s, where I used one expression pedal input on the MFC for the switch on the SP-1. I soon found that this switch was never used, as the auto-engage feature in the Axe FX makes the switch obsolete. So I purchased the small XPB-R instead to use for volume, as I find it easier to make small and sensitive adjustments on this than a full-size pedal. So now I have the SP-1 (spring loaded and auto-engage) for WHA and WHAMMY, depending on preset or even scene. The two EP-1s (not spring loaded) for whatever suits the preset or scene, the possibilities are endless. The XPB-R for Output Volume.

This setup leaves nothing to be desired for me at least (minus maybe a MFC-setup that doesn´t need a sherpa, haha), I truly do not miss the switch function on the SP-1 - it was never used. If you really want this, you would have to connect one of the expression pedals to the pedal input on the Axe FX, like mentioned above. I would recommend to try without though, as it is far easier to just use one cable between the Axe FX and the MFC than two. And of course, you can switch the XPB-R for a full size expression pedal if you prefer that.

... and to answer the question in your last post, yes the four switches and the one expression pedal with switch setup is possible. The four switches (i would recommend Roadrunners EXT MODULE, great stuff) connected to the two "switches"-inputs of the MFC, and the pedal and its switch connected to two expression pedal-inputs on the MFC. That would leave two inputs, so you could connect another two expression pedals - or one pedal with switch. So - as long as you want four external switches, you must use one expression pedal-input for each of the pedal switches you would want to connect.

But take a serious look at my setup above - it´s kickass ;)

... and to answer the question in your last post, yes the four switches and the one expression pedal with switch setup is possible. The four switches (i would recommend Roadrunners EXT MODULE, great stuff) connected to the two "switches"-inputs of the MFC, and the pedal and its switch connected to two expression pedal-inputs on the MFC. That would leave two inputs, so you could connect another two expression pedals - or one pedal with switch. So - as long as you want four external switches, you must use one expression pedal-input for each of the pedal switches you would want to connect.

But take a serious look at my setup above - it´s kickass ;)

BINGO Starfighter!!! :encouragement:
Thats extactly what i want!!! Love your pedal rig!!!
may I ask how heavy is the pedalboard set?

Thanks, happy to help :)

The pedal board weighs about 16 kgs with the lid on. It is manageable, but a bit of a pain as I live on the 4th floor with no elevator.. ;)

Just PM or post here if you need more details.

Back
Top Bottom