need help with Logic Pro X

Jamamao

Hey guys, I just got a new Macbook Pro 16 inch and I want to use my axe-fx III as my interface. I downloaded logic and started up a project and I can't seem to get any guitar signal coming through it. I used to use Ableton on my old PC and it was relatively straight forward on that. When I would record I'd run patches through output 2 so I could monitor through Ableton but I can't even get output 1 to do anything in Logic and I just don't know if I am doing anything wrong. Help is appreciated!

Go to preferences > Audio > Devices.
Depending on how you have everything wired select the AxeFXIII as your input (and output) device.

When you arm a track make sure you record enable it and use software monitoring if needed. The 'R' and 'I' buttons on the track.
If you're still not getting signal, make sure in the mixer tab (hit apple + 2) the track is using the AxeFX as the input source, usually defaulting to input 1 and 2.

Still getting nothing after checking all that. It's weird because everything else is working, I just can't get any guitars whatsoever. Are there any settings in the AXE I should be looking for?

Still getting nothing after checking all that. It's weird because everything else is working, I just can't get any guitars whatsoever. Are there any settings in the AXE I should be looking for?

There's far too many variables involved as to why you're having an issue. Can you post screenshots of your routing or the settings on the AxeFX?

If you're using output 2 from the AxeFX, arm the track in logic from output 3 in logic

I feel the same way about pretty much any windows based recording software
i started with cubase and now use studio one. makes sense to me for what i do. but i'm sure i could learn logic if i really really tried haha. mac guy here anyway, so it's funny to me i can't understand that program.

If you are using a USB connection, you should be able to choose the input you use on the Axe III. For example, I use output 1 for my full output, just like if I was giving it to FOH...so make sure input 1 is selected on the channel strip in logic.
Make sure you are creating Audio Tracks, rather than some other kind of track also.

It IS straight forward and the earlier advice is correct. Open Preferences-->Audio--> choose Axe III as input device and output device
Also, you can use the headphone jack on the Axe III to monitor your signal.

You can do it ;)

I'd only be using one output at a time if I was recording or playing, but I wanted to show that I tried both outputs 1 and 2, and made channels in logic for each with the correct settings.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-05-14 at 12.30.43 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-05-14 at 12.30.43 AM.png
    3.3 MB · Views: 15
  • Screen Shot 2020-05-14 at 12.33.15 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-05-14 at 12.33.15 AM.png
    3 MB · Views: 17
Forget about Logic for the moment. Select AxeFX III as the input device in your system preferences->sound panel. Play your guitar and make sure the meter in the sound preferences input panel shows activity.

I got the meter moving but it was already like that

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-05-14 at 12.44.04 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-05-14 at 12.44.04 AM.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 11
In that case, you must have the wrong input channels selected in Logic. You've got 1/2 selected for both of your guitar tracks, but are you sure you don't have any input in Logic? If you're getting system audio input, it's hard to imagine how Logic wouldn't be getting input.

Edit: don't forget to grant Logic microphone access in your system preferences.

Last edited:
I'd only be using one output at a time if I was recording or playing, but I wanted to show that I tried both outputs 1 and 2, and made channels in logic for each with the correct settings.

I see the Axe III is chosen in the Logic preferences. that's correct...
I am wondering why your your input is 1/2??
Mine has 8 input choices for the 8 USB of the Axe III. No Input 1/2, only singular input 1, 2, 3...8
Click the little circles and it should switch to input 1 and input 2 as choices.

That's the curious thing I see...otherwise it looks correct.

I see the Axe III is chosen in the Logic preferences. that's correct...
I am wondering why your your input is 1/2??
Mine has 8 input choices for the 8 USB of the Axe III. No Input 1/2, only singular input 1, 2, 3...8

That's just because he's using a stereo track. I'm pretty sure the problem is he needs to give Logic microphone access in the security and privacy preferences.

GlennO that was it thank you! Now i just need to figure out how to only monitor the guitar through logic.
If you click the [ I ] button next to the record enable button for the track, you should be able to monitor what is at that input while not recording.

i started with cubase and now use studio one. makes sense to me for what i do. but i'm sure i could learn logic if i really really tried haha. mac guy here anyway, so it's funny to me i can't understand that program.

hahah! Yeah it's weird how our brains are wired. To be fair, I prefer adobe premiere over Final Cut, so it's definitely a program thing, not a mac vs. PC thing. Every time I see people using Cubase I get confused... looks like the Matrix to me.

hahah! Yeah it's weird how our brains are wired. To be fair, I prefer adobe premiere over Final Cut, so it's definitely a program thing, not a mac vs. PC thing. Every time I see people using Cubase I get confused... looks like the Matrix to me.
I loveeeee FCPX! It renders so fast. The first version was horrible due to the magnetic timeline but they updated it and made it usable haha.

GlennO that was it thank you! Now i just need to figure out how to only monitor the guitar through logic.

Be wary of monitoring the guitar through Logic instead of through an Axe FX direct output. If you don't have a beefy machine and don't tweak the audio settings in Logic's preferences you could get quite a bit of lag when recording (specifically while monitoring through Logic instead of Axe FX).

Back
Top Bottom