Need help with FX Loop - new to forum

BHardy

Hi all,

I searched the forum and couldn't find this one answered. It's my first post so I'm not sure how to get pictures in here and I can't post links until I've got 10 posts under my belt so here is the problem, hopefully someone can help.

I can't get any sound output when I add an FX Loop (FXL) to my signal chain. For example I create a chain that is:
Input > Amp > Cab > Output and everything works fine. If I put an FXL anywhere in the chain there is no output sound. I can see the front panel light up when I play the guitar but there is no output from the speakers.

At first I was attempting to place my TC Ditto pedal in the loop. Now I'm just running a cable (that I've tested) from Output 2 Left to Input 2 Left to remove any complications. So there are no pedals in the chain to go wrong, just a cable going from the FX send to the FX return.

Now to the I/O settings.
On page one "Input" the INSTR IN, Input 1 and Input 2 are at 9 o'clock, 12 o'clock and 12 o'clock respectively.
On page two "Audio" the panel reads as follows:
Main input source = Analog (In1)
Word clock = Auto
SPDIF/AES Select = SPDIF
Input 1 Left Select = Front
Input 1 Mode = Left Only
Input 2 Mode = Left Only
Output 1 Mode = L+R Sum
Output 1 boost/pad = 0dB
Output 1 phase = normal
Output 2 Mode = L+R Sum
Output 2 boost/pad = 0dB
Output 2 phase = normal
Output 2 echo = none

I've left the settings in the FXL block at default. Hopefully this is enough information for someone to help me out. I believe that I've connected everything correctly, hopefully there is something stupid that I'm missing and not something wrong with my Axe FX.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

I’d try setting your output 2 mode to Stereo (or Left Only) instead of L+R Sum, in case you’ve got some phase cancellation happening when it’s summing the channels.

Hi all,

I searched the forum and couldn't find this one answered. It's my first post so I'm not sure how to get pictures in here and I can't post links until I've got 10 posts under my belt so here is the problem, hopefully someone can help.

I can't get any sound output when I add an FX Loop (FXL) to my signal chain. For example I create a chain that is:
Input > Amp > Cab > Output and everything works fine. If I put an FXL anywhere in the chain there is no output sound. I can see the front panel light up when I play the guitar but there is no output from the speakers.

At first I was attempting to place my TC Ditto pedal in the loop. Now I'm just running a cable (that I've tested) from Output 2 Left to Input 2 Left to remove any complications. So there are no pedals in the chain to go wrong, just a cable going from the FX send to the FX return.

Now to the I/O settings.
On page one "Input" the INSTR IN, Input 1 and Input 2 are at 9 o'clock, 12 o'clock and 12 o'clock respectively.
On page two "Audio" the panel reads as follows:
Main input source = Analog (In1)
Word clock = Auto
SPDIF/AES Select = SPDIF
Input 1 Left Select = Front
Input 1 Mode = Left Only
Input 2 Mode = Left Only
Output 1 Mode = L+R Sum
Output 1 boost/pad = 0dB
Output 1 phase = normal
Output 2 Mode = L+R Sum
Output 2 boost/pad = 0dB
Output 2 phase = normal
Output 2 echo = none

I've left the settings in the FXL block at default. Hopefully this is enough information for someone to help me out. I believe that I've connected everything correctly, hopefully there is something stupid that I'm missing and not something wrong with my Axe FX.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

And Output 2 level is set to?

Ok, I think I might have won the prize for the most stupid first post ever.

It was the cable! I checked the cable in the front of the Axe FX and it worked fine... I plugged it into the FX loop at the back as I mentioned before and nothing was working... Later I was playing around with running my looper in front of the Axe FX and for some reason there was no sound. I jiggled the cable and it started working... so it was just one of those cheap cable issues where sometimes it doesn't work, and then you jiggle it around and it starts working.

So I set up the loop in the Axe FX again... jiggled the cable around and lo and behold: sound.

I feel like a complete idiot.

Thanks to everyone who replied! I'm off to buy some new (and better) cables.

Always good to check the Meters in the Utility menu to verify sound is happening. It can indicate bad cables if there’s no meter activity.

OK, one last question. Would the humbuster cables be of much use in the FX Loop? In the manual it talks about sending out to an amp or processor. I would only really be running out to a few pedals... but at $20 a cable it's about the same price as any other cable, so I can't see the harm in it. Can I use the humbuster cables as regular instrument cables if need be?

OK, one last question. Would the humbuster cables be of much use in the FX Loop? In the manual it talks about sending out to an amp or processor. I would only really be running out to a few pedals... but at $20 a cable it's about the same price as any other cable, so I can't see the harm in it. Can I use the humbuster cables as regular instrument cables if need be?
Humbuster cables are not regular instrument cables. Humbuster is only for fractal audio gear. Are you experiencing hum?

I am not experiencing any hum. I just need some new instrument cables in order to connect up an FX loop with the Axe FX and was wondering if the humbusters were the way to go. They are about the price of regular cables so I was wondering if they could be used as regular cables in addition to having their special use with the Axe FX.

If I just need cables to hook up an FX loop with the Axe then should I go with regular cables or the humbusters?

I am not experiencing any hum. I just need some new instrument cables in order to connect up an FX loop with the Axe FX and was wondering if the humbusters were the way to go. They are about the price of regular cables so I was wondering if they could be used as regular cables in addition to having their special use with the Axe FX.

If I just need cables to hook up an FX loop with the Axe then should I go with regular cables or the humbusters?
If you want humbuster, then order that. If you want to use the cables with other gear, then get regular.

Back
Top Bottom