Need help with Cakewalk UA-25 EX ( digital connection )

Omrat

Inspired
Hello !

I have Cakewalk UA-25 EX audio interface and Axe FX Standard.
Today I wanted to record via digital cable and I discovered, that Cakewalk only has optical In / Out, not S/PDIF.
So my question: is there such cable - S/PDIF Out -> optical In ( I'm pretty dumb about cables and connections :) )
I'v allso heard, that recording via S/PDIF is not the best solution ?
Maybe I should forget the digital recording and use XLR, before I return that Interface ?

Thanks,
Omrat

Ok, just used search function and found similar thread with EDIROL interface. It seems like I need converter and optical cable ( I allready have S/PDIF cable ).
But still - is the investment to converter and optical cable worth it ?

I have an Edirol UA-25 interface and have been wondering the same thing. Last night I recorded from Output 1 - unbalanced 1/4" outs because the balanced xlr outs on the Axe were wayyy too hot for the Edirol's xlr inputs. It sounded pretty good, but I'm guessing the digital to analog, back to digital, and back to analog conversions brought the sound quality down a bit.

I"m wondering about a converter or just wondering about finding a new interface that accepts S/PDIF input.

Bought the same coax > optical converter yestreday and it's working. Problem is, when I switch my Cakewalk to "Digital In" I only can hear signal from Axe FX via headphones. No signal from PC. Will buy another optical cable to connect Cakewalk to Edirol Monitors and check it out. I allso didn't have time to record via digital connection yet, but that converter seems working just fine.

I recorded with it last night using the coax > optical converter. It sounded very nice, maybe a smidge better quality than just using short 1/4" unbalanced outs to the Edirol.

I did notice one thing with using digital. When I wasn't playing anything on my Les Paul and adjusting my volume knob on my LP, I heard some squelch type of noise that went away if I had my volume fully cranked or fully off.

Also a big big negative is that this Edirol interface does not allow you to listen to playback while the digital input is being used. So this eliminates the ability for me to use it. Why on Earth they made that way, I'm not sure. I'll probably keep the Edirol for a while until I find an interface that allows for playback on Sonar 8 while using a digital input. It sounded just fine using the analog inputs so I'll just stick with that for now. Plus the sqwelching noise I was getting on the volume knob also eliminated my ability to use it.

Back
Top Bottom