Need help with audio interface.

The Octa out to Axe rear Input 1 connection could be considered optional. It would only be useful if you want to send tracks from Octa through the Axe again, e.g. reamping, and there are other ways to accomplish that.

If it's not something simple like volume control at 0, the no sound at Octa outs 1/2 issue might be due to some setting in its mixer/control software. Or Reaper could be set to use outs 3/4 as main output.

Ok. I got the Octa's main outputs working--sort of. After searching the manual I found that there is a button on front that controls the main outputs. Press the button in, you get "Phones + Main". Leave the button out, you get "Phones." I think the button was out. Soooo, I switched the speakers to OP 1+2 and Input 1 on the Axe to OP 3+4 on the Octa. Then I pressed that main outputs button and all hell broke loose.
Monster feedback of the movie type. I let the button out and the sound went off. I hooked up the headphones and there was the same feedback. I tried switching 3+4 to 7+8 on the Octa, but no good.

I've switched everything back to where it was working. The headphone jack on the Octa plays back my guitar with the speakers off, so we're good there, but it you press in that button it all goes to feedback. I suppose there's a wrong connection somewhere.

I'm definitely interested in reamping in the future as I get to know how to record better. It's very early, but I really don't like the recording results I'm getting now. Just thought I'd let you know that since it's come up, and I don't think we're done tinkering with things yet.

I switched the speakers to OP 1+2 and Input 1 on the Axe to OP 3+4 on the Octa. Then I pressed that main outputs button and all hell broke loose.

but it you press in that button it all goes to feedback. I suppose there's a wrong connection somewhere.
is it because your Microphone is near the speakers? or it's also because you have your Axe Outputs going to the Octa Inputs, then the Octa outputs going back into the Axe-Fx - the definition of a feedback loop.

The mic is several feet away from the speakers. There's no feedback from the mic.

If the "Instrument" jack on the front is considered AXE Input One then the guitar's output would be going to
the Octa's Main Outputs 1+2.

If Bakerman's assertion that the AXE's rear panel Input One is optional and also going to the Octa's Main outputs but with no effect, because nothing is being inputted to it. So I guess it's just a dead line.

The AXE's Output One is being inputted to O-C inputs 7+8

And I would guess the Octa's Outputs 3+4 are being sent to the speakers.

This is my take on how it's been working--successfully to this point. I don't know why, only that it is.

So if connecting the Octa's Main Outputs to the speakers and sending the AXE's Input One to the Octa's Outputs 3+4 creates a feedback loop, then where to do I route the AXE's Input One to eliminate the loop?

This all has to be done keeping in mind that any alteration of the present working setup might cause an asio conflict within Reaper.

These are the thoughts going through my mind at this point.

the way you describe things is a bit hard to follow.

we typically don't route inputs "to" places. we route Outputs to Inputs. you don't "send" an input somewhere - it receives signal. so what is the purpose of sending something to the Axe Input 1, when you already have your guitar at Input 1.

also you said this which doesn't make sense:

If the "Instrument" jack on the front is considered AXE Input One then the guitar's output would be going to the Octa's Main Outputs 1+2.
you can't send outputs to outputs. what did you mean?

What I meant was the input from the guitar at input one is routed to the main outputs.

Right now I'm looking at page 17 of the FX 2 Manual, where there is a connection diagram.

It says to use Input One of the rear panel, "When using the Axe FX with sources other than an
instrument at the front panel, change the INPUT from FRONT to REAR (in the I/O menu) and
use the INPUT 1 line level jacks instead."

So, should I do that and if I do, where do I plug in my guitar? I can plug it into the OCTA, but what effect would that have on the preset?

Thanks for helping.

Last edited:
So, should I do that and if I do, where do I plug in my guitar?

Keep guitar plugged into front input.

Octa output(s) to Axe rear input 1 is optional. Using this connection (e.g. reamping) would require switching to rear input, which disables front instr. input.

Thanks Bakerman. At some point in time I expect to get into reamping. So in the event I do disable the instr. input where would I plug the guitar? And if I did switch to the rear panel input one, do you think it would properly enable the main Octa Capture outputs?

Thanks, Bud. I'm kind of satisfied with the way it is now, but I think if we could get those main outputs working screechlessly then everybody would be happy, and that's what I want.

So in the event I do disable the instr. input where would I plug the guitar?

You wouldn't need the guitar while reamping. It can stay connected to instr. input, or not. Switch back to front input to play guitar again. You may want to consider SPDIF for reamping rather than 1/4".

And if I did switch to the rear panel input one, do you think it would properly enable the main Octa Capture outputs?

Switching Axe input source won't change what the O-C is doing. The solution for that will be in the O-C mixer/control software or hardware.

Ok, guys. can we do this:

There's an illustration in the Octa's user guide that offers a basic layout of an audio system. In the illustration, the speakers are routed to to the Octa's main outputs 1+2.

Let me tear down what we have now and rebuild according to that illustration. Or maybe even better, why don't I just connect the speakers to the Octa's main outputs, disconnect the Axe from the system, and after I test that it works, why don't you guys tell me where to route things from the AXE to the Octa Capture?

Where do I route the guitar? What Fractal input goes to which output on the Octa? What Fractal Output goes to which which Input on the Octa?

I would like to use the rear panel Output 1 on the Fractal, since I'll probably need it for future reamping.

And we have to keep in mind that Reaper will be using the Octa Capture asio driver. Can we do that? I surely hope so.

Guitar to Axe front input

Axe Output 1 1/4" to any available Octa 1/4" input(s)

Octa outputs 1 & 2 to monitors

I wouldn't worry about any connection from Octa out to Axe input yet. For reamping single tracks you'd also really only need 1 cable.

Okay, I disconnected rear panel Input One of AXE. Set Speakers to Main Outputs. Output One of the AXE to Inputs 7+8 of Octa.

It works good. Apparently no feedback loop. I recorded and played back in Reaper. The Octa control panel shows channels 1, 7, and 8
all doing their dances.

One problem I'm having is that playback is way low, and I had to play around with the controls to finally start hearing what I was recording. It
still needs some tweaking. Also the Octa manual needs to be read until I finally understand what I'm reading.

But I think we are finally where we need to be regarding connections.

Okay, I disconnected rear panel Input One of AXE. Set Speakers to Main Outputs. Output One of the AXE to Inputs 7+8 of Octa.

It works good. Apparently no feedback loop. I recorded and played back in Reaper. The Octa control panel shows channels 1, 7, and 8
all doing their dances.

One problem I'm having is that playback is way low, and I had to play around with the controls to finally start hearing what I was recording. It
still needs some tweaking. Also the Octa manual needs to be read until I finally understand what I'm reading.

But I think we are finally where we need to be regarding connections.
Pretty sure I suggested this in post 6 ;)

Hey, Chris! I gave you full credit over at Reaper. You were right from the getgo. The flow of thing makes a bit more sense with that rear panel input eliminated. I've had the manual printed out, I don't know, maybe for two
years now. It's back in its place in the bookshelf where it'll probably stay for the next two years. Thanks, bud!

Back
Top Bottom