Need Help with ART SLA-2 and 2x12 cab

Omrat

Inspired
Hello !

Just got my first 2x12 cabinet for Axe FX and ART SLA-2
Cabinet is 120W and loaded with Celestion V30-s.
Stereo - 2x8 Ohm
Mono - 4 Ohm

Like I said, this is my first cabinet and I dont have any experience with Watts and Ohms :)
What would be the safest way to connect poweramp with cabinet ?

Form ART SLA-2 manual:

• 200 Watts/Channel @ 8 Ohms
• 560 Watts/Bridged Mono @ 8 Ohms

SAFETY PRECAUTIONS
Warning: For optimum performance and reliability, do not operate the
amplifier with a speaker load of less than 4 Ohms per channel, or any
combination of speakers that together are less than 4 Ohms.
Using one speaker per channel, it must be rated at 4 or more Ohms.
Using two speakers per channel, they must each be rated at 8 Ohms,
or greater. When in bridge mode, the speaker should be rated at 8
Ohms, or greater.

allso:

The amplifier is stable into loads as low as 2 ohms (stereo mode), and
4 ohms (bridged mono mode).

Anyway, If I want to run my cab in MONO should I use just one channel of ART SLA-2 ( 200W/8 Ohm )
or ART SLA-2 Bridged ( 560W/ 8 Ohm ).
Or maybe is best way to run cabinet in stereo mode so the Ohm-s are matched ?

I'm asking because I dont want to damage my speakers or poweramp :)

Thanks,
Omrat

Ok, just visited ART website and noticed:

•200 Watts per Channel @ 8 ohms
•280 Watts per Channel @4 ohms
•560 Watts when Bridged Mono @ 8 ohms

So I think using only one channel ( 280W @4 ohms ) is just fine ?

Bridging it would be my recommendation too. It does say that it is stable running 4 ohms bridged mono, which is what your cabinet is running mono, so that should be ok. One thing I remember from tube amps is that you shouldn't run the amp without any speaker attached to it. I was told once that it was like running a speaker that's less than 2 ohms. The ART-SLA 2 is solid state, and I don't know for sure if that is also true for a solid state amp. But running only one side leaves the other without a speaker load, so I'm not sure if that would be bad or not. I've just always tried to avoid it to be safe since I wasn't sure. The manual doesn't say how many watts it would be bridged mono at 4 ohms, but it should be a bit more than the 560 at 8 ohms, so it would be quite loud and have a lot of head room. Hopefully someone with more amp experience can confirm some of this.

Bridge it the more power is more headroom. Just dont crazy on the volume.

Thanks !

Just found more information:
•680 Watts when Bridged Mono @ 4 ohms
So I think I will try bridged method then and will not go grazy on the volume :)

Bridging it would be my recommendation too. It does say that it is stable running 4 ohms bridged mono, which is what your cabinet is running mono, so that should be ok. One thing I remember from tube amps is that you shouldn't run the amp without any speaker attached to it. I was told once that it was like running a speaker that's less than 2 ohms. The ART-SLA 2 is solid state, and I don't know for sure if that is also true for a solid state amp. But running only one side leaves the other without a speaker load, so I'm not sure if that would be bad or not. I've just always tried to avoid it to be safe since I wasn't sure. The manual doesn't say how many watts it would be bridged mono at 4 ohms, but it should be a bit more than the 560 at 8 ohms, so it would be quite loud and have a lot of head room. Hopefully someone with more amp experience can confirm some of this.

Thanks for the reply !

Actually I'v heard same thing that running the Tubeamp without any speaker will damage the amp.
Another thing, does the ART SLA 2 runs automatically @ 4 Ohm, when 4 Ohm speaker is connected or is there some switch ? :)
I'm working right now so I can't check it but I looked the manual and there is no information about that.

Thanks again !
Omrat

Actually I'v heard same thing that running the Tubeamp without any speaker will damage the amp.
Another thing, does the ART SLA 2 runs automatically @ 4 Ohm, when 4 Ohm speaker is connected or is there some switch ? :)

My understanding is that solid state amps don't have a switch, and don't need one, when it comes to speaker load. It will just output the power based on whatever load is hooked up to the amp. Tube amps are different, which is why you will either see a switch or different jacks on the back of a guitar head, like a Marshall, etc. But with all of the solid state amps I've used, like the SLA, you just connect the speaker and go. The only switch would be for bridged mono vs stereo. Then just make sure you hook up to the proper terminals for bridged, and your good to go. I have the ART SLA-1 that I run into a Marshall 2x12. My cabinet is at 8 ohms mono. But I do run my amp bridged mono and I am very happy with it. I'm just running a lot less watts than you will be at, but we're not that loud of a band. Having the head room is nice. It's a great setup.

My understanding is that solid state amps don't have a switch, and don't need one, when it comes to speaker load. It will just output the power based on whatever load is hooked up to the amp. Tube amps are different, which is why you will either see a switch or different jacks on the back of a guitar head, like a Marshall, etc. But with all of the solid state amps I've used, like the SLA, you just connect the speaker and go. The only switch would be for bridged mono vs stereo. Then just make sure you hook up to the proper terminals for bridged, and your good to go. I have the ART SLA-1 that I run into a Marshall 2x12. My cabinet is at 8 ohms mono. But I do run my amp bridged mono and I am very happy with it. I'm just running a lot less watts than you will be at, but we're not that loud of a band. Having the head room is nice. It's a great setup.

Thanks Fro !
Very useful information, esp. for rookie like me :)

Just tryed ART SLA-2 and cab Bridged Mono @ 4 ohms - it sounds pretty good.
only one thing - there is not enough low end right now.
All my recording patches have bass around 25-35%, now I have to turn bass around 60% and still not enough low end :(

Back
Top Bottom