Need help with a wet-dry-wet rig setup

Dr Zaius

Need some help in figuring out a wet-dry-wet setup using an Axe FX III and a real tube amp.

For my dry signal I'll use my tube amp into a cab. For the stereo wet effects I'll use the AXE FX III into powered studio monitors.

Give me your thoughts on how well this will work as well as which one of these is the correct setup. Or perhaps I've got it all wrong and there is a better way to do this.

Setup 1:

wet-dry-1.jpg

Setup 2:
wet-dry-2.jpg

Setup-1 should work great. In the past I ran a similar rig with a UA Ox and a TC G-major 2. Now that I have the Axe-Fx III I don't even bother using a real amp.

It seems that with setup 1 both tones would always have the flavor of the tube amp, or am I missing something?

If you plug your guitar into the AxeFX first, create separate (Parallel) paths on the grid from input 1 to out 1(wet) & out 3 (dry) respectively; you could negate the need for the Morley.

Attachments

• WDW.jpg
    WDW.jpg
    111 KB · Views: 37
I’ve tried tons of setups and best I’ve found in Terms of sound, simplicity, portability et al, is using a frfr for the dry, atomic CLR in my case, and then for wet/wet a center point space station. It’s a pseudo stereo effect monitor speaker which produces a really cool stereo effect from a single source. Sounds good anywhere it the room and gives an amazing effect for things like rotary, Reverb’s etc.

Basically it’s like the old setup of having a combo amp and then a rotary speaker like a Vibratone.

only 2 pieces, easy setup etc. true stereo wet setups can be cool but are rather limited by the seeetspot, space to set up, require a 3rd monitor etc

I’ve tried tons of setups and best I’ve found in Terms of sound, simplicity, portability et al, is using a frfr for the dry, atomic CLR in my case, and then for wet/wet a center point space station. It’s a pseudo stereo effect monitor speaker which produces a really cool stereo effect from a single source. Sounds good anywhere it the room and gives an amazing effect for things like rotary, Reverb’s etc.

Basically it’s like the old setup of having a combo amp and then a rotary speaker like a Vibratone.

only 2 pieces, easy setup etc. true stereo wet setups can be cool but are rather limited by the seeetspot, space to set up, require a 3rd monitor etc
Oddly enough, I have pondered adding two powered cabs to use for delays/verb so ping-pong delays are truly right/left, as the SpaceStation seems to be weaker on left/right delays and stronger on shorter delay effects like chorus, flange, etc. The delay repeats come out more right-rear/left-rear, trading width for depth....

Oddly enough, I have pondered adding two powered cabs to use for delays/verb so ping-pong delays are truly right/left, as the SpaceStation seems to be weaker on left/right delays and stronger on shorter delay effects like chorus, flange, etc. The delay repeats come out more right-rear/left-rear, trading width for depth....

for sure ping pong isn’t a strength of the space station. I’m not an expert on how it works but the processing has something to do with the sum and difference in the left and right channels, and sending those to the front or mid side driver. With a ping pong there is no real stereo effect, just a left or right hard pan, the there isn’t anything to process really.

something like a good stereo chorus or rotary though and it really comes alive as there is unique information in the left and right channels

Ive been doing the WDW rig for a while now as well. I run the guitar into the AFX first then an out to the front of the real amp. That way I can have two paths one for the real amp and one for the stereo AFX stuff. I run a chain for the real amps loop as well, for a gate EQ reverb whatever I need. In the chain leading into the front of the real amp I do a wha phaser pitch whatever that doesn't need to be stereo and needs to be in the real amp. My real amp has a speaker emulated record out so I use that rather than a load box to come back into the AFX chain. Sometimes I mute the real amp completely.

Input 1 Magnetic pickup in
Input 2 Piezo pickup in
Output 4 into the front of the real amp

Input 4 is the line out from the real amp
Output 1 Stage FRFR
Output 2 FOH

Input 3 real amps FX loop out
Output 3 real amps FX loop in

WDOA.jpg

Tom. This set up intrigues me.. I am always into new ways of doing something. I have always thought as a pathway of w/d/w sound as…
Guitar into non time based effects into Amp and that amp into speaker cab. (Dry). Then slave out of the amp into an effects axf 11/ or whatever then out of stereo effects unit to power amp then out of power amp to two separate speakers as wet.. I mite have to try your set up as well.
Andy

Attachments

• FC5B7CA3-9EB6-4CC1-BFF5-9112541E8144.jpeg
    FC5B7CA3-9EB6-4CC1-BFF5-9112541E8144.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 19
Guys but if i had 3 speaker monitors could 1 use out 1 to the centre monitor for the dry row and out 2 for the effects in parallel with L and R pan in order to have full wet dry wet? Am i totally wrong?

Back
Top Bottom