Need Help w/ Talk Box Effect

brianv4

Fractal Fanatic
When using a talk box with an actual guitar amp, it would go between the amp and the cab. when switched on, the effected signal would go directly to the sound system via a microphone. I'm trying to recreate that patching in the Axe. Easy enough except imo, it sounds best with the formant block routing directly to the output AND back into the cab block. Gives a great gritty talk effect (direct sound) and it's nice and fat (being fed back to the cab). Auto engage is setup with an expression pedal. Works great except when the effect is bypassed, amp signal is still being routed thru shunts directly to the output.

How can I switch off (in this layout) row 1 simultaneously with the formant block? Here's how I have it laid out...any ideas?

View attachment 19727

Maybe put the format block on the top row and run in parallel mode with the bypass state something other than "thru". Route the signal back through the main path with connectors and when it is active it will flow through both outputs as you have it now. when bypassed it will kill the second row if you select mute FX in or, I think, anything other than thru. When running parallel make sure your mix is set to 100% and adjust with input gain if this block has one. I have patch that is similar. Hope this helps

Either that, or put something like a null filter in row 1, and set it to turn on/off in sync w/ the formant block.

You'll probably want to keep that routing and add something to mute row 1. Use a vol/pan block or null filter, mute bypass mode. Assign the pedal to any parameter other than bypass, using the same auto-engage setting as the formant block. Either use an irrelevant parameter (like freq/gain/q of null filter) or set modifier min/max to get a constant value like 0.0 for a balance modifier. Now the block will engage/disengage with formant.

Maybe put the format block on the top row and run in parallel mode with the bypass state something other than "thru". Route the signal back through the main path with connectors and when it is active it will flow through both outputs as you have it now. when bypassed it will kill the second row if you select mute FX in or, I think, anything other than thru. When running parallel make sure your mix is set to 100% and adjust with input gain if this block has one. I have patch that is similar. Hope this helps

Thanks for your suggestion kkolb71! I tried this earlier. it does kill row 1 when disengaged but when active, the amp is then feeding straight thru AND to the formant block reducing the amount of effect (and yes I'm set to 100% mix). In essence, the amp needs to feed the formant directly THEN get split directly to an out and also back to the cab to achieve the desired sound. I know the answer is in the box somewhere, just haven't been able to find the one that works best yet.

View attachment 19730

You'll probably want to keep that routing and add something to mute row 1. Use a vol/pan block or null filter, mute bypass mode. Assign the pedal to any parameter other than bypass, using the same auto-engage setting as the formant block. Either use an irrelevant parameter (like freq/gain/q of null filter) or set modifier min/max to get a constant value like 0.0 for a balance modifier. Now the block will engage/disengage with formant.

Bingo, that did it. I was assigning the pedal to bypass. Now if I can get both rows to simultaneously drop level by about -3dB when the formant is engaged it'll be purrrfect. Thanks guys!

Are you using a actual talkbox? I have a MXR talkbox but cant seem to figure out how to integrate it into the AXE II.

Are you using a actual talkbox? I have a MXR talkbox but cant seem to figure out how to integrate it into the AXE II.

No, I'm using the formant block. Love the avatar, hope the Foot does another album!

Last edited:
Yeah, we really need some good recordings of the Axe Formant block.

I messed around with it some and couldn't get it to sound good, so I never used it yet. Would love to hear some good samples!

+1 on recording! I've had trouble getting great talk box sounds going too.
Looks like an interesting take on it.

Sent from my iPhone

Thanks for your suggestion kkolb71! I tried this earlier. it does kill row 1 when disengaged but when active, the amp is then feeding straight thru AND to the formant block reducing the amount of effect (and yes I'm set to 100% mix). In essence, the amp needs to feed the formant directly THEN get split directly to an out and also back to the cab to achieve the desired sound. I know the answer is in the box somewhere, just haven't been able to find the one that works best yet.

View attachment 19730
I would love to get a copy of that patch... please

Ok so here’s a little description of the patch (and the Patch)...

First, the cab’s play a big part in the tone. I used two. They’re both from the OH UltraRes set, Cab 1: J12-BB-Live Modern Mix and Cab 2: H-BB-55-Live Vintage Mix.

As for the vowels, you can play around with them for different effect. I used START= OOO, MID=AAA, END=AWW.

For the growly Joe Walsh/Bon Jovi stuff I use the Start to Mid portion of the pedal. For the Frampton-esque vowels (like I do) I move the pedal backwards from End position to Mid.

(Don’t know if you need this info but I have the pedal assigned to ext controller 1 and midi channels are on ch 16)

Here's the patch on Axe-Change:
Axe-Change - Download Preset - Silver Jubilee TB - by brianv4

Back
Top Bottom