Need help - Turn Me Loose synth patch

Fro

Experienced
Hey everybody,

I’m a bit clumsy when it comes to the synth block. I have a little experience with it from using a few patches posted by others on the forum, but not much beyond that. I’m not utilizing it at all in my live patches, yet.

We’re adding Turn Me Loose by Loverboy back into rotation. We’re just a three piece band, no keys. So I thought I would see if I could handle some of the pad sounds with the Axe Fx.

It sounds like the majority of the song is just the two chords, up an octave in the intro and then down an octave in the verses. I know the voicings of the chords change, but I’ll just compromise so it’s close enough. If possible, I’d like to get the opening low chord, and that slide up to the high chord where the bass comes in, maybe with an expression pedal? Then I would need a couple patches or scenes to change the chords, with the ability to drop them back down an octave when needed. I’m not so much worried about what happens in the middle bit. I’m going to cover that keyboard part with octaves on the guitar. And I’m not bothering at all with the electric piano part.

I have an MFC and two expression pedals. I currently have the bottom 2 rows of switches for patch selection, and the third row for IA switches. I do not currently use any scenes. So if I go the scene route, it will be my first attempt at scenes as well as synth programming. Is it possible to have the scenes on the first row of switches and use the reveal switch to get to them?

I’ve been looking around the forum and Axechange for some ideas to point me in the right direction. I’m on an Axe Fx II Mk I, so I haven’t been able to try everything I’ve stumble across. I have a gig tonight, but the rest of my weekend is free. I figure I’ll just mess around with it this weekend and learn with trial and error, but I thought I would throw it out there to see if anyone had any tips, ideas, suggestions, pointers, etc. before I dive on in.

Thanks in advance everyone!

A chestnut from MTV's early years. Cool keyboards in that song - an Arp Omni version 2 and a Yamaha CP-70.

Back
Top Bottom