Need Help Troubleshoot a Strange Sound Issue

Just got a AX8 yesterday and I have it setup with a Hosa YMP-233 Y connector going from the main outs on the AX8 to the line in or the mic in on my PC then going out to headphones on the headphones out jack on the PC

Ok so here's the issue sound on the AX8 is coming through fine and i can hear any and all tracks or other sound sources that I'm running off my PC but if i try and run the AX8 alone without some track or other sound source running in the back ground the AX8 will only give me sound for a few seconds then it just cuts out but as soon as i hit the Windows PC's volume slider adjusters with my mouse the sound comes back from the AX8 but then after a few seconds cuts out again ? The Ax8 only cutting out if I try and play it alone but if i have another sound source running along with it it's not cutting out all only the AX8 is cutting out other tracks or sounds coming from the PC are not its almost as if the AX8 needs to sense a sound source in the back ground to stay alive?
Considering that only the AX8 is cutting out I'm thinking the problem must be coming from the AX8 maybe some setting on the AX8 or in AX8-Edit I'm missing ?
I've updated all my sound card drivers and been through every windows sound settings on my PC I can think of 10x already

1.JPG 2.JPG 3.JPG

Last edited:
the AX8 does not stop sending signal at any time. it's just an analog connection, so the AX8 doesn't "know" anything about the computer at all. it just sends signal.

so the issue is the computer. make sure there's no "noise cancellation"or something similar in the Mic In settings.

It might be that your Line in is only active if your sound card is used by some program in your PC - like Winamp or whatever you are using to play back tracks). When you touch the volume slider, the card becomes active.
Possibly you can work around that by playing a "silent" track where only silence is recorded. In any case, it's a PC issue.
Is there input monitoring on your sound card? Make sure that is on.
Also, if you use a DAW like Reaper, it will access your sound card and keep it live even without playback, if input monitoring is activated.
Just a few things to try ...

a setting to disable the mic seems counter-productive to using it ;)

48000 should work.

Go figure its windows but it doesn't say disable it says "Continue Running When on Battery Power" It's also possibly the setting it to the AX8 in setting "Play Back Through This Device" setting that fixed it ?

Thanks for the help you guys pointed me in the right directing

Now off to the next stage which may be a little tougher learning how to use AX8-Edit to the point where i can actually enjoy using it

The ability to mute a line in is actually useful. Lowers the noise level.
The sample rate is up to you. 24 bits 48K is good.
Axe Edit is very easy to use. You'll get it in no time! Have fun!

Back
Top Bottom