Need Help!! Tone matches all sound the same = NASEL!

nznat

Experienced
Just purchased my second Axe Fx 2 XL+ unit. Its been a year since i had one, and i have forgotten how to set up to use a downloaded tone match. Not sure what I'm missing.

They all sound similar to each other, i.e. Nasel sounding! Like someone has put the amp in a big box, or someone is talking through their nose to you. hahaha I'm sure someone will understand that clear explanation. lol

It must be a global setting or something simple, but all the tone matches sound the same, like the whole rig and speaker is inside a giant nose. This big nasel sound.

All my other presets sound like presets, like the real amp, yet tone matches are nasel. I bet its like one switch ive missed.

Thanks for help in advance.

Same here never liked any tonematches, they always sound very hollow to me, to be honest on the Axe why use a tonematch?

ok so in other words, the tone matches don't actually work, and never have? i.e. if you don't have the exact same gear as the maker of the tone mach, then you are out of luck?

you know what, i don't think that is how tonematch works or should work. It doesn't make any sense at all, not at all. Seems like a whole lot of people are not understanding how tone match works either, so they don't ever use them. strange?

It shouldn't matter if you have the "exact" same guitar as the original maker of the tone match file, as it still shouldn't sound like its coming out of someones nose, all nasel sounding, and all the tone match files sound the same, like in a distent caven somewhere and like someone talking through their nose. hahah sad but true.

Its simply a million miles off what it should sound like. I don't believe you have to have the exact same gear, there is something else taking place that is the issue, i'm sure of it.

love to hear from cliff on this. Seems there is a lot of confusing from a lot of people about getting a tone match to sound correct.

this is a good discussion, importaNT.

For a tone match to work perfectly, you have to be using the same guitar as was used when the tone match was made. Tone match is like adding paint to one color to make it another color. If you start with a different color to begin with, your final result will be different.

That said, tone matches shouldn't sound uniformly horrid, even if you start with a different guitar. A preset, along with a clip of what you're hearing, would be really helpful. It's hard to know what's wrong with the soup without tasting it.

While you're putting together the clip and preset, build a whole new preset from scratch, and try those tone matches in that.

Using other people's presets can be challenging. Using other people's tone matches can be an exercise in futility.

Something else to consider: is there a Cab block in the preset you dropped the tone match into? If there is, lose the Cab block. Tone matches usually already have a cab baked in.

Correct me if I’m wrong here, but the essence of tone matching is for the Axe to create a multiband EQ curve to correct the tonal delta of the reference signal (tone to be matched) to the guitar/signal-chain at hand. Therefore the results greatly depend on the input signal and everything
between it and the location of the TM in the original grid-setup in which it was created, thus making a TM a very individual and non-transferable component.

Last edited:
Correct me if I’m wrong here, but the essence of tone matching is for the Axe to create a multiband EQ curve to correct the tonal delta of the reference signal (tone to be matched) to the guitar/signal-chain at hand. Therefore the results greatly depend on the input signal and everything in-between it and the location of the TM in the original grid-setup in which it was created, thus making a TM a very individual and non-transferable component.

I guess it could be transferable by accident. Never worked for me.

It's a bunch of filters that boost or cut frequencies. With another guitar it's just a random comb filter, IMO.

Back
Top Bottom