Need help to route PA system to a in house speaker system

Savrot

I'm playing on a boat this weekend and we thought the gig was just a basic gig but apparently it's not. We need to rig the PA system and then route it into the house speaker system so that the sound comes out in all the rooms of the boat.

I've never done this before so i need the fractal forum wisdom here.
Have anyone ever done this before?
How did you do it?
Do i need any other gear?

Thanks for the help :)

Without more details.. hard to give you a definitive answer.
You'll need to know what the inputs are.. Usually, those tend to RCA or even XLR cables into the AUX connection on their stereo system :)
Either way, the outputs on your PA can probably go there directly.
Is your PA system active speakers or passive?
There's lots of ways to do this so you should probably give us details on what their input format is (RCA, XLR or 1/4") and what mixer you have.. You'll be tapping a feed from your mixer tho'.. it's a question of how..

You really need to find out how they would accept your signal into theirs to be able to provide an accurate solution.. but..
RCA =
upload_2017-5-15_11-25-6.jpeg
generically, you could tap the 1/4" outs (next to XLR outs top right on mixer). By that.. the XLR outs go to your PA, the 1/4" go to the boat. The OM does NOT say they CANNOT be used in parallel. Same output levels will go to your PA and boat. They can adjust their volume accordingly.
You could also use the 1/4" monitor outs.. That would give you separate level controls over FOH and signal going to boat. You would set monitor out level and not touch it for the rest of the gig.
Hope that helps some..

I'm playing on a boat this weekend and we thought the gig was just a basic gig but apparently it's not. We need to rig the PA system and then route it into the house speaker system so that the sound comes out in all the rooms of the boat.

I've never done this before so i need the fractal forum wisdom here.
Have anyone ever done this before?
How did you do it?
Do i need any other gear?

Thanks for the help :)
Send outputs from your mixer to the house system input.

generically, you could tap the 1/4" outs (next to XLR outs top right on mixer). By that.. the XLR outs go to your PA, the 1/4" go to the boat. The OM does NOT say they CANNOT be used in parallel. Same output levels will go to your PA and boat. They can adjust their volume accordingly.
From the tech specs PDF - it looks to be both sets of main outputs can be tapped simultaneously .... maybe?

I think I actually own this same mixer, well its Yamaha - has 12 channels and I remember 'MX' being in the name....... never actually used it myself yet .... a keyboardist friend 'borrowed' it literally before I even opened the damn box.

yam_outs.png

Send outputs from your mixer to the house system input.
Not quite that simple Chris..
What outputs from the mixer? - can you use the 1/4 in parallel. They STILL need to run outs to their PA.
What inputs to the house? - what connection type.. 1/4, XLR, RCA, etc.

Once he gives you the connectivity.
Don't forget to advise him about using a "DI"...might need it (hmmmmmmm)

@s0c9 I got my mixer back - it's actually the 10 channel variant MG10XU ....

But I can confirm that both sets of outputs do run in parallel.

I ran TS (ie unbalanced) from the 1/4 inch outs to some cheap baby behringer studio monitors that use rca inputs and the XLR outs to a MOTU Interface's mic inputs - no probs.

When running the unbalanced TS alone to monitors there was a bit of hum .... but as soon as the xlrs were connected to the interface it gave everything a nice earth and the unbalanced TS to RCA cable connection lost the hum.

@s0c9 When running the unbalanced TS alone to monitors there was a bit of hum .... but as soon as the xlrs were connected to the interface it gave everything a nice earth and the unbalanced TS to RCA cable connection lost the hum.
Were the TS runs > 10 feet? That will give you instant hum :)

Probably more to do with the Behringer monitors ...... they've been lying in a cupboard for years and the inputs are def a bit wobbly/dodgy :)

If it were possible to interface with the "boat's" piped PA system using balanced TRS -> 'whatever but hopefully balanced' then it could be maybe the 'easiest' solution for the OP ... but unbalanced will work too.

Of course the mix being sent will be that of the live room PA main outs .... so if you're lounging on the lounge deck or pooping on the poop deck you might hear a lot of vocals and not a lot of drums.

Your idea of using a monitor mix might be the way for a little more finesse

Back
Top Bottom