Need help to incorporate a flexible FOH and FRFR rig with DI

Vhalen50

Experienced
Use an AXE8 and Friedman ASM 12
I currently run:
output 1 XLR to FOH
output 2 1/4" x XLR cable to ASM12 (25 feet)

The band I'm hired in currently needs me to carry an acoustic. While the AX8 could handle that, I'm sure, I know that FOH guys would rather have a separate feed. I was thinking about getting a DI box and swapping the way i send to FOH. Proposed idea is:
Output 1 XLR to ASM12
Output 2 to input 1 of Stereo DI
AC Guitar to input 2 of Stereo DI

Is there any issues with running output 2 1/4" into a DI itself? I know it doesn't need one, but 1/4" feeds are almost always looked as the red headed step child.

Also....active or passive DI? Im looking at a stereo Radial, but there are so many different variants and what not..I don't think I really need something crazy.

One of the last stock presets in the AX8 is a preset for an acoustic. Works fine into FOH.

One of the last stock presets in the AX8 is a preset for an acoustic. Works fine into FOH.
I wouldnt mind using it, but Id rather have the flexiblity to send seperate signals to FOH so that they can have enough flexibility to do what they need with it. We do alot of festival shows, where we dont provide sound and I can already imagine the soundguy pushing or pulling the fader on the acoustic and then forgetting to set it back when i switch back to electric. There isnt really a efficient way to check it beforehand and get it set.

Do you need anything from the ax8 on your acoustic, or just running it clean? - if not, get a mono di and be done with it. I use the jdi, works great between my acoustic and the mixer.
Of course, this means no signal to your asm for your acoustic, so you need to get the acoustic into the monitors.

If you do want to use the acoustic through the ax8/asm, then spend the time to get a signal your foh guy is happy with. Make sure it's balanced against your electric presets too.

Both options are do-able, just depends what you want.

Is there a negative side effect to using a DI on the output 2 of the AX8? mainly just to get it to XLR for the run back to the FOH desk usually 50-200 feet away.

Only that you now need a di.
Use output 1 for foh and output 2 for your asm. One less thing to buy/carry/set up/rely upon.

just plug the acoustic into the stage box, monitor it threw the vocal wedges.
Stage box is normally out of sight and sometimes below stage. We also don't use wedges, only IEMS...which is becoming a hassle as well but that's another story until we hire a monitor guy or inevitably carry our own board, which seems silly.

All in all, im just looking for a foolproof way to have the "roadies" get my gear setup and have it self explanatory of what goes where...all things in the stereo DI go to FOH and the output1 of my ax8 goes to my cab.

thanks yall, even though it adds another thing to my board, id rather have the seperate channels rather than hope the soundguy can handle two different signals in one XLR..effectively.

Back
Top Bottom