need help setting up virtual pedal board

frankiev

Experienced
Up till now Ive been using the axe at home . It sits right next to me and I can reach over and change presets or use the editor on my computer to change presets and also turn on/off/add/remove effects . Latley Ive been jamming with some friends and want to use my GCP to control everything . I know how to set it upto control the axe .What I need some advice on is how you guys are implementing it . What I mean is, how do you set up your effects chains / amps . Do you have to set up each and every preset with whatever amp you want to use and add the same effects chain to each preset?Is there a shorter way to do this ? Is there a way to set up an effects chain and just use the GCP to switch amps? Ive been using the lars editor since the new editor deleted and/or screwed up my presets the last time I used it . I havent used the recent version since I have enough frustration in my life alresady however , Is there a way to save the effects in it? Is that a better way ? Any help /advice appreciated
Thanks

for my main patches i use everything the same and just switch out amps. gate - wah - comp - chorus - flange - pitch - amp - cab - vol - (parallel - delay - verb). and i have a phase 90, bb preamp and yjm dod distortion in my patchmate loops so i can turn them on and off. was thinking about getting another gmajor so i can have access to flange chorus and whatever whenever i want.

there have been requests for a virtual pedalboard if you will, but i dont think it's possible.

Thanks . Do you have just one preset with your effects chain setup as you like it and then switch different amps in and out with your midi pedal (if so please explain how ) or do you have several presets all programmed with the same effects chain and use different amps in each of them and then just change presets which is a pain in the a@@ .

I'm currently set up this way:

wah - drive or comp - phaser - pitch1 - amp - pitch2 - cab - flanger - fx send--------
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
------fx return - chorus - delay1 - delay2 - trem - reverb ---------------------------out
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

the fx send and returns are used not as a loop but because all blocks couldn't fit on one line.

I start on the first line and have the post amp fx on the third line, just in case I would like some fx in parallel.

pitch 1 is mainly for whammy fx. I'll look into programming IA switches in the LG for different modes.
Pitch 2 is a fixed harmony. Again with different IA's for -oct or + oct or combinations
Delay 1 is for a normal delay, Delay 2 is a dual delay for doubling with IA's for different tempo's (1 + 1/2; 1/2 + 1/4; 1/4 + 1/8dot...)

The idea is to have a block of five presets with the same layout and different amps (clean, crunch, rhythm, lead1, lead2) that I can switch between.

thanks ,nice setup. So you just copy the preset 5 times and change the amp in each one , correct? Seems like a good plan . My friends and I basically just jam , no set songs at all ,so I like to switch around here and there on the presets .It would be awesome to have a virtua effects pedal to turn on/off and just switch amps
Is there a way to set up an effects chain on one preset only and use the IA's in the GCP to switch amps ?(in the same preset) How do global amps fit in this picture (havent used them yet) if at all ?

Being able to switch amps would be nice but I don't think it's doable.
from what I've gathered from the latest release notes, if you keep the same setup, switching time would be fast enough not to be audible.
That leaves the next problem: how to keep the state of the fx-blocks when switching presets.
I was going to suggest this to Xavier to implement this in the next gen Gordius.
The idea would to group presets end be able to set if you want to retain the state of the fx-blocks.
I hope this would be possible because this would truly improve the flexibility.
Perhaps something for the MFC as well??

I didnt think of that . How do you retain the state of fx blocks when changing presets. How are you getting around that ? or is there no way to do it

This depends on your MIDI changer. You should save the state on your pedal, not the Axe-FX. I always have 'verb' activated, but the others I keep off to toggle on, etc.

As electronpirate said, you would have to program that into the pedal.
I don't know of any foot controller that can do this, that's why I want to askXavier if he can implement it in the Gordius.
Perhaps Cliff could add this feature to the MFC101 as well.

MisterE said:
As electronpirate said, you would have to program that into the pedal.
I don't know of any foot controller that can do this, that's why I want to askXavier if he can implement it in the Gordius.
Perhaps Cliff could add this feature to the MFC101 as well.

You can program that into the Rocktron All Access. I have my delay and other stuff set to come on with certain presets depending on the gig/song. Easy to reprogram on the pedal on the fly too.

I think we're on a different frequency Scott.
I can also program this with the Gordius.
Here a preset from the AF is called a "Patch". IA's can be "Stompboxes" or "Momentary Switches".
A "Preset" on the Gordius is a combination of a "Patch" and IA's.
So per preset you can set which IA's ar on and off.
So far, I guess this is the same as on the All Access.

But what if you would have five presets like so:
1. drive - phaser - clean amp - cab - flanger - delay - trem - reverb
2. drive - phaser - crunch amp - cab - flanger - delay - trem - reverb
3. drive - phaser - lead amp - cab - flanger - delay - trem - reverb

Can you, when switching any fx block on or off, have the same state when switching to another preset.
1.For example: initial state on all presets is all fx off.
2.Turn delay on on the first preset,
2.Select the second preset and the delay would also be turned on?
3.Turn another effect on, lets say the phaser,
4.Go to the third preset and both delay and phaser would be turned on?
5.Turn both phaser and delay off, turn trem on,
6.Return to preset one and all fx would be turned off except for the trem?

MisterE said:
I think we're on a different frequency Scott.
I can also program this with the Gordius.
Here a preset from the AF is called a "Patch". IA's can be "Stompboxes" or "Momentary Switches".
A "Preset" on the Gordius is a combination of a "Patch" and IA's.
So per preset you can set which IA's ar on and off.
So far, I guess this is the same as on the All Access.

But what if you would have five presets like so:
1. drive - phaser - clean amp - cab - flanger - delay - trem - reverb
2. drive - phaser - crunch amp - cab - flanger - delay - trem - reverb
3. drive - phaser - lead amp - cab - flanger - delay - trem - reverb

Can you, when switching any fx block on or off, have the same state when switching to another preset.
1.For example: initial state on all presets is all fx off.
2.Turn delay on on the first preset,
2.Select the second preset and the delay would also be turned on?
3.Turn another effect on, lets say the phaser,
4.Go to the third preset and both delay and phaser would be turned on?
5.Turn both phaser and delay off, turn trem on,
6.Return to preset one and all fx would be turned off except for the trem?

Yes. Easy; assuming you saved each preset that way.

You can't do it with turning on the delay and have it come on globally for every preset from then on... no.

But why would you?

If you need to do that on the fly improvising, no the All Access won't do that. It doesn't make sense to me why you'd need to do that on the fly... but to each their own.

Thanks guys . I dont think my Ground control Pro will saves states so I guess Ill have to upgrade to accomplish what I want to do .

It will. Once you set up your patch the way you want it on the Axe and GC Pro, just go to "Edit," and then save to that same preset on the GC Pro. Now, when you switch back to that preset on the GC Pro, it will have the same IA/CC switches on/off that you were on/off when you saved.

Scott,

It would make sense if you would like to keep the effect state but switch amps.

trouble311,

With turning on an effect, I meant switching it by means of the pedalboard, on the fly, not on the axe-fx and then saving that state in the floor controller.
So all the steps are without saving.
As far as I know, no footcontroller can do this.

It can be debated if this would be an usefull feature. As Scott daid, to each his own but think about this.
In a classic rack you would have a multiple channel preamp and some effects. With this setup, you could change the pramp channels without changing the state of the effects.
This is now only possible when using two amp blocks. But if you would like to be able to change more amps and keep the effect state, it isn't possible.

Back
Top Bottom