Need help programing ext switches

frankiev

Experienced
Unfortunetly Im somewhat midi challenged . I have 4 external switches connected to the MFC and I want to program them to access scenes 1-4 . I tried to put the pieces of info together but all I get is a stress headache . Would someone be kind enough to help me thru this .
Thanks

Thread resurrection!!

Anyone give any quick tips on how to do this for the MFC Extension - I want the four switches to be scenes 1-4 - but cant see anything in the manual??

thanks!

OK so where I am at so far

I am in the Midi menu in the MFC - I go to the menu that says:

XS1 #034 Ch01 TypHDW

I changed the # to 034 - which is the scene select I think ? So now when I press on the XS1 switch the Scene on the AXE switches to Scene 8 ! ....as long as I keep my foot on the switch - the second I lift my foot - it reverts to Scene 1 !!

So how to I get it to stay on the right scene - and what are the correct channel numbers for each scene as I seem to have a choice of Ch01 to Ch16 (not the 0 to 7 as indicated in the Wikipedia?)

Any ideas please!!!

OK until I can sort this out - and understand what i am doing I have programmed XS1 to be #123 which is "Scene Increase" - and XS2 to be #124 which is "Scene Decrease"....

...whats a pain in the ass though is that the MFC screen doesn't do anything when you Increase Or Decrease Scenes - so only way you have to tell what scene you are on is looking at the AXE screen !!!

....hence my preference for a Scene 1 to 4 on each switch - then at least I will hopefully know which one I have pressed ????....would be better if the MFC displayed the scenes when they change though surely??

OK so where I am at so far

I am in the Midi menu in the MFC - I go to the menu that says:

XS1 #034 Ch01 TypHDW

I changed the # to 034 - which is the scene select I think ? So now when I press on the XS1 switch the Scene on the AXE switches to Scene 8 ! ....as long as I keep my foot on the switch - the second I lift my foot - it reverts to Scene 1 !!

So how to I get it to stay on the right scene - and what are the correct channel numbers for each scene as I seem to have a choice of Ch01 to Ch16 (not the 0 to 7 as indicated in the Wikipedia?)

Any ideas please!!!

You have to change the min/max value of the switch as well as the #cc to 34. I don't have it in front of me but scroll over so you see the switch value which by default should be min 000 max 127. What its doing is scene 1 is zeros scene 8 is any value over 7. So for scene 1 change to min 000 max 000; scene 2 min 001 max 001. Etc. The value is offset by 1.

thanks Helix!!!

I have tried that and its working - to a degree - the only trouble is that every time I change the preset - its defaulting to scene 2 - instead of scene 1 ??

Any ideas??

edited - actually as I am adding switches - it is defaulting to the highest scene switch??

So now I have programmed all 4 switches - every time I switch to a new preset it is automatically on scene 4 ??

That happens because the switch commands get sent in order when you load the preset. There's definitely a way to avoid that with momentary switches, and I think there also is with latching switches. Set the off value to "off" and then either use HDW for momentary, or Auto-Off for latching. (TOG might work for latching, but the manual has some incorrectly pasted text in that part, which makes it tough to figure out without an MFC.)

Bakerman - thanks - I don't know the difference!!! - but anyway - I changed the "Type" on all of the switches to "typTOG" - which I assume is toggle - and it now works as it should - so I have Scenes 1-4 in the MFC Extension! Great!

Thanks!!!!

Just see your post now, happy to see you figured it out.
Yes, the switches in the EXT are momentary as heaving mentioned before, monetary can be defined to either momentary OR latch.
If the switch was latch it can be ONLY latch and we don’t want that.
That’s the reason way I use monetary switches in the EXT.
Thanks.

Last edited:
Bakerman - thanks - I don't know the difference!!! - but anyway - I changed the "Type" on all of the switches to "typTOG" - which I assume is toggle - and it now works as it should - so I have Scenes 1-4 in the MFC Extension! Great!

Thanks!!!!

Better to set them to TypHDW and set the off value to Off, as Bakerman suggests.
Setting momentary switches to TypTOG can make the MFC and Axe-Fx go out of sync.

Better to set them to TypHDW and set the off value to Off, as Bakerman suggests.
Setting momentary switches to TypTOG can make the MFC and Axe-Fx go out of sync.

Ah OK thanks Yek - so in the XS1 menu - I would set it to :

XS1 #34 Ch01 TypHDW

and in the next menu I would set it to

XS1 OFF OFF - ON 000 (instead of off and on at 000)

XS2 OFF OFF - On 001 (instead of off and on at 001)

Is that correct??

Thanks!

man, perfect timing - just received my extension monday eve and haven't hooked it up yet. at least half the work is done!

btw extension looks awesome, roadrunner - great quality and is the perfect match to the MFC-101

raze

Isn't great when after hours of trying to implement something you finally solve it? Also its great when forum members help to. Just remember to back up all your and others efforts.

Yes! I can confirm that if you follow the thread you will end up with 4 switches that each represent a scene !! Great!!

Back
Top Bottom