Need help on possible XiTone Passive 1x12 Wedge purchase

Justmc

Inspired
I am looking to go the FRFR route in addition to my standard guitar cabs . I am using the AxeFx 2 to feed a Matrix GT 10000FX . Right now my speaker configuration is a Matrix NL12 and a Buzzbomb 2x12 with V30's installed . No cabinet emulation just power amp sims. I am happy with the results but want to be able to bring all the Cabinet Ir's I use at home with my KRK Rokit 5's to a studio or smaller gigs . If anybody has any experience with XiTone products , especially the passive wedge I would really appreciate it . Thanks

Well, I understand your needs when it comes to small gigs, where there's no PA, and musicians rely on their own amps.
I've no experience with the Xitone, but why would you need one in studio? Best option would be to load your IRs and go DI into mix desk IMO.
Am I missing something here?

I am looking to go the FRFR route in addition to my standard guitar cabs . I am using the AxeFx 2 to feed a Matrix GT 10000FX . Right now my speaker configuration is a Matrix NL12 and a Buzzbomb 2x12 with V30's installed . No cabinet emulation just power amp sims. I am happy with the results but want to be able to bring all the Cabinet Ir's I use at home with my KRK Rokit 5's to a studio or smaller gigs . If anybody has any experience with XiTone products , especially the passive wedge I would really appreciate it . Thanks

I own two Xitone Passive Wedges. I drive them with a Matrix GT1000FX.

My impressions;
* Amazing build quality - Totally awesome construction.
* Sound is really great. Not as "Hi-Fi" as some other FRFR I've used, but very flat and...
* They have a punchy quality like a closed back cab (which is very cool IMO).
* Low end is very good. I've played bass through mine (using the AxeFXII SVT model/cab) and the results were surprisingly good.
* They will get plenty loud. With the Matrix you would have way more than you need for anything I would describe as "smaller gigs".
* Excellent FRFR in general, but REALLY excellent FRFR for the price.
* Mick at Xitone is a prince of a guy. You won't meet a nicer, more customer focused guy.

There you have it. IMHO, they are an excellent product top to bottom.

Hope that helps.
Well, I understand your needs when it comes to small gigs, where there's no PA, and musicians rely on their own amps.
I've no experience with the Xitone, but why would you need one in studio? Best option would be to load your IRs and go DI into mix desk IMO.

Sorry for the confusion . I meant a rehearsal studio / room that I frequent now and then with various musicians , bands etc ... For any recording scenario I would send a signal directly to the board as you have suggested .

Wow.... Thanks for the stellar review . Think I might be sold . Mick replied to some questions I had via email in like 5 minutes after my request .... seems dedicated to the product !!

I own two Xitone Passive Wedges. I drive them with a Matrix GT1000FX.

My impressions;
* Amazing build quality - Totally awesome construction.
* Sound is really great. Not as "Hi-Fi" as some other FRFR I've used, but very flat and...
* They have a punchy quality like a closed back cab (which is very cool IMO).
* Low end is very good. I've played bass through mine (using the AxeFXII SVT model/cab) and the results were surprisingly good.
* They will get plenty loud. With the Matrix you would have way more than you need for anything I would describe as "smaller gigs".
* Excellent FRFR in general, but REALLY excellent FRFR for the price.
* Mick at Xitone is a prince of a guy. You won't meet a nicer, more customer focused guy.

There you have it. IMHO, they are an excellent product top to bottom.

Hope that helps.
I second everything Karmax3 said. I originally bought a passive xitone speaker that a month ago got Mick to add a Matrix gm50 because the power amp I was using worked better with guitar cabs then FRFR speakers. When I got it back from Mick the speaker came alive and have since gone all FRFR. I'll probably go back and forth between cabs and the xitone depending on gigs but for now it sounds amazing especially with the Ultra Res cabs. Mick is awesome!

ed

I agree with everything Karma said. I have a passive wedge paired with the matrix gt800. I also have a pair of powered CLR, which I use more, but I keep the Xitone because they feel more like a real cab than the CLR.

I'll add to the general concensus on both the passive wedges and dealing with Mick.

I have a pair of them (one purchased from Randolfo!) powered by a GT800FX and they rock!

Kevin

Same here - GT800 with a passive wedge. Mick is very quick to respond to questions.
That Line-X finish can take a beating that would shred a tolex wrapped cab.

Just order my second one last week. Don't forget he can customize, too. I had my grills painted True Blue, and added a top hat so I can put the wedge on a stand. Extra connector on the back so I can also stack them vertically. Now I have a solution for every type of stage or corner of a hole in the wall the bar I encounter.

Sorry for the confusion . I meant a rehearsal studio / room that I frequent now and then with various musicians , bands etc ... For any recording scenario I would send a signal directly to the board as you have suggested .

Uh, ok, sorry for the misunderstanding :)
All makes more sense to me now!

XiTone products!!! Build like a tank. They sound great also. No hype here baby.
tank.jpg

I actually use a powered monitor (output 2) when recording direct to get a bit of active reinforcement and some feedback if I want it. Seems to punch things up a bit.

I see your point :)In this case tho, the absolute quality of the sound is much less critical IMO. A very cheap cab, crancked up, would feedback much easier I guess :)

I had Mick build a wedge with smallest dimensions and still fit Matrix amp and 12". He also put in a switch that EQ's the speaker like a guitar cab. So I have best of both worlds. IMHO, FRFR sounds great at low volume but if I need to crank I use the cab with the guitar EQ switch on and no iR... Smoking little cab. Easy to carry, small footprint and lots of versatility. Not stereo, but for me on stage, works awesome and I can either point at me for low vol monitor or point at audience and crank..... I can't say anything bad about XiTone and Mick....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

another endorser here, I had a pair of passives for a while to test against the other FRFR offerings and was quite impressed with them.

Back
Top Bottom