Need help installing Tremol-No for Dropped D Tuning

GotMetalBoy

Power User
I contacted Tremol-No Support but haven't heard back. Below is what I emailed them:

I recently bought a Dean Razorback X-Ray guitar that has a Floyd Rose and tried to install a Pin-type Tremol-No but can't figure out how to install it so the shaft is perpendicular to the trem block. I tune the guitar to Drop D (DADGBE), so the top spring is looser than the other 2 springs and so the Floyd Rose is parallel to the guitar body. If I adjust the claw, so the shaft is perpendicular to the trem block, then the Floyd Rose is uneven with the guitar's body and is awkward to play.

Do you have any suggestions how to make this work?

Here's the link to the Tremol-No Support page that has the Installation Instructions, Parts Diagrams & Technical Information:

Tremol-No™

I'm not too sure the pin type is proper for the Floyd Rose. The pin types are typically for Fender type trems

When setting up the Tremol-No,.... adjust the claw to proper string tension so that the trem is level to the body as you desire when tuned tuned up. Should the trem seem like it is binding on the tremol-no rod and the action of the trem is not smooth....adjust either side of the claw screw to fine tune the rod to be perfectly perpendicular to the trem block. After all is set and done then lock down the claw to the claw screws.

+1 with reclavea said I can also add that the claw for the Tremol-no has cap screws that allow you to secure the claw once you have it where you want it. The problem with this is if the screws that hold the claw are tapered near the head and uneven after adjusting the claw when you tighten them down it will change the angle of the claw throwing the claw and shaft out of alignment. I took mine out of the claw all together as they are really not needed, I tried leaving them in loose but found that they would buzz at certain notes it drove me nuts trying to find the problem.

You must use the Clamp type for Floyds (small or large clamp). Pin type is indeed for strat/gotoh/musicman bridges.
Tremol-No™ compatibility list

I bought mine from MusiciansFriend.com on November 5, 2012 and the Tremol-No website used to say to use the Pin Type for the Floyd Rose Original.
Here's the Tremol-No page from Oct 31, 2012 Tremol-No™
Here's the Tremol-No page from Dec 28, 2012 Tremol-No™

Here's the Tremol-No page from July 30, 2013, so they must have changed their website within the last year bc when I recently looked at their website I noticed it said I should use the Clamp Type instead of the Pin Type but I knew I verified which one to get when I bought it Tremol-No™

I originally bought it for a my Dean Splittail guitar which has a Floyd Rose Original but never ended up using the guitar, so I never installed it and was hoping I could install it on my Dean Razorback X-Ray guitar which has a Floyd Rose Original.

I'm going to take some pics of the trem springs and post them, so you can see how uneven it is bc I can't be the only one who has installed the Pin Type on a Floyd Rose Original tuned to Dropped D (DADGBE)

Here's a picture I just took of the trem springs and how uneven they are. I can't even attach the Tremol-No Shaft Pin to the Trem Block.

2014-05-15%2019.22.47.jpg

I'm not sure how to post a picture from my Dropbox but here's my shared link:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/zijp5p80crtc3yq/2014-05-15 19.22.47.jpg

Last edited:
Yes. In fact the absolute condition to make the Tremol-No work as intended is to have the shaft completely straight (perpendicular to the vibrato block) so no friction can happen when it slide into the receiver.
I have it installed on 3 or 4 guitars that way and it works flawlessly. Hope that helps.

Yes. In fact the absolute condition to make the Tremol-No work as intended is to have the shaft completely straight (perpendicular to the vibrato block) so no friction can happen when it slide into the receiver.
I have it installed on 3 or 4 guitars that way and it works flawlessly. Hope that helps.

Are your guitars tuned to Dropped D? I'm thinking about using the D'Addario String Tension Guide ( D'Addario : String Tension Guide ) to find a a low D string that will match the tension of a low E string, so my Trem springs won't have to counter balance the lower tension on the low D string.

I'm not sure how anyone has the patience to use a Floyd Rose or any trem. It takes me forever to setup and tune. Even trying to install the Tremol-No is aggravating. I want to install the Tremol-No so I can use the trem to do vibratos and dive bombs and not have to worry about balancing the string tension when tuning. I like being able to pull up on the trem bar but I'd rather give that up to be able to tune faster. I'm going to try Chris's suggestion and loosen the high string springs and tighten the low string springs until they balance out and make the Tremol-No shaft perpendicular to the Trem Block. If I can't get this figured out tonight, I'm probably going to just install a block of wood in the trem block cavity and make it a fixed bridge.

In the pic,....it clearly shows the claw out of alignment with the trem block.

Straighten out the claw and pull the shaft to the trem block. The shaft with the pin lock should sit in the 2nd spring slot from the right. Though you do have the pin type instead of the clamp type tremolo-no,...it may still work.

I did install a pin type on a Floyd a couple months ago because the Floyd License trem block had an angle cut into it. It worked great.

After you align and connect the rod.....move the trem up a down a bit to see if it is free moving and smooth.....if not ....adjust the claw screws very finely until it is smooth and you don't feel any resistance on the trem. It should feel very smooth and free.

Don't forget that the claw must be exactly or very near to the position you want it to be when strings are tuned up. It can get very frustrating to do extreme adjustments on the claw AFTER you fix the shaft to the trem block. I suggest fixing the shaft to block last.....after you have set strings and springs equilibrium to tuning. All the while keeping the claw perpendicular to the trem block as best you can. Then fix the shaft to the trem block and fine tune the claw so shaft clamps parts are totally free and moves smoothly.

The angle of the claw does not affect anything except the angle of the springs, which basically doesn't affect anything. This has been argued time and time again on the internet. You can't counter balance anything with slanted springs or the top spring stretched more than the bottom one etc.

I had one installed, but over time it started to act up, I would never do that again, waste of money and time. If it didn't start failing with in a year or so and lasted many years I would re think my opinion but as of now I would not recommend it. Good luck with yours.

The angle of the claw does not affect anything except the angle of the springs, which basically doesn't affect anything. This has been argued time and time again on the internet. You can't counter balance anything with slanted springs or the top spring stretched more than the bottom one etc.

If you are referring to the angle of the Tremol-No claw to the trem block it is of vital importance or you can't get the unit to work right at all. The shaft is at a right angle to the claw and the angle is fixed. Once it is perfectly set up any slight turn of the claw screw either way will bind the shaft locks. No good.

Are your guitars tuned to Dropped D? I'm thinking about using the D'Addario String Tension Guide ( D'Addario : String Tension Guide ) to find a a low D string that will match the tension of a low E string, so my Trem springs won't have to counter balance the lower tension on the low D string.

I use all of them in standard E or D. When I want to drop the low E (or D) I put the Tremol-No in Fixed or Dive-Only and do just that. You just have to remember to retune back the string BEFORE unlocking the tremol-no, to keep the original string balance.
Also some of my guitars have floyd (Ibanez) while others have standard trem (EBMM JPs, Suhr).
Like the guys said, it doesn't matter what tuning you are in, you should always have a straight claw (like on Sixstring's picture) when using a Tremol-No.

Thank you everyone! I got it to work! :)

...but when I went down to my basement Friday morning to play a little guitar before work, I was delighted to find my basement was flooding :-( FML!
It's a good thing my guitar and Axe-Fx II lured me down to the basement bc I was able to cleanup the water before it damaged anything. I would have had a big problem if I found the water after work.

You must use the Clamp type for Floyds (small or large clamp). Pin type is indeed for strat/gotoh/musicman bridges.
Tremol-No™ compatibility list

I bought mine from MusiciansFriend.com on November 5, 2012 and the Tremol-No website used to say to use the Pin Type for the Floyd Rose Original.
Here's the Tremol-No page from Oct 31, 2012 Tremol-No™
Here's the Tremol-No page from Dec 28, 2012 Tremol-No™

Here's the Tremol-No page from July 30, 2013, so they must have changed their website within the last year bc when I recently looked at their website I noticed it said I should use the Clamp Type instead of the Pin Type but I knew I verified which one to get when I bought it Tremol-No™

I originally bought it for a my Dean Splittail guitar which has a Floyd Rose Original but never ended up using the guitar, so I never installed it and was hoping I could install it on my Dean Razorback X-Ray guitar which has a Floyd Rose Original.

I'm going to take some pics of the trem springs and post them, so you can see how uneven it is bc I can't be the only one who has installed the Pin Type on a Floyd Rose Original tuned to Dropped D (DADGBE)

I need to permanently block the floyd rose on my 8 string. The tremol-no website currently states that pin type is recommended for floyd rose trems. There is far too much conflicting information on this thing. Can someone verify which type should actually be used? I know it's been said here, but there are way too many different compatibility sheets, each conflicting with the others. Does anyone know why the website is constantly changing information? Very stupid and confusing. Can someone also verify that a correctly setup tremol-no will allow no movement whatsoever of the trem? If not, is there a better way to render the trem motionless? I've used floyd roses for years on 7's but it's a nightmare on an 8 string, just want to be done with it so I can play more than tune again. Thanks in advance boys.

Edit: It's a schecter c8 FR. Floyd rose 1000 series, if that helps any.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom