Need help in Mixing.

immortal_soloist

Power User
Hey guys,
I recorded my guitar take on a properly produced and recorded backing track. Now the problem is that I can't get my mix to sound well.

On my monitors things seem to sound alright but when I bounce the track volume is quiet low. I am using Logic Pro 9. I even turned normalise off and have been trying to get a good mix,I need it to be louder.

Any tips or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks.

A multiband compressor with very high ratios in all bands (set to limit, really). Experiment with the ratio and threshold of each band. Sweeten to taste. ;)

Thank you.

I am trying to figure it out. Another issue that I am having is that,when I was listening through my monitors I heard the guitar mostly on the right speaker so I tried using the direction mixer to pan it and then I could hear the guitar on the left but once I bounced it,its still very much to the right. What should I do about that?

Thanks.

We need more to go on - what DAW are you using, and describe the tracks, and levels on those tracks. Are you recording a dry re-amping track, or the Axe processed track? Stereo or mono? Using Axe USB interface or other? Using Axe output 1, 2?

We need more to go on - what DAW are you using, and describe the tracks, and levels on those tracks. Are you recording a dry re-amping track, or the Axe processed track? Stereo or mono? Using Axe USB interface or other? Using Axe output 1, 2?

Hello Billy,
The DAW is Logic Pro 9,I recorded with the Axe processed in stereo. I using the Axe FxII with my Motu 896k mk3. Using output 1 and 2 from Motu.

Waves? Very nice, use Maserati GRP in "MASTER" mode. Or use L1-Ultramaximizer with Out Ceiling below 0.0 (e.g. -0.5) - use threshold-fader for more "loudness".

Thanks I'll have a look at this very soon and get back to you. You would these also help in getting rid of the guitar just sounding too much too the right once it's bounced. It's quiet annoying :)

The Waves L3-16 is my go-to for a multiband compressor. I use it the way Stillbrunch does with the out cieling below zero but not more than -1dB, and reducing the input fader for loudness. As it will limit each band separately you can get more loudness without the pumping that can happen with a single band limiter.

Having said that, bear in mind ear fatigue. You don't want to make track so loud that they are unlistenable, as seems to be the modern trend.

Did you record the guitar part in stereo? Do you need it to be in stereo? unless you are printing it with some prominent stereo modulation or ping pong delays or something like that, you probably don't. Try converting the stereo track into a mono track, and if the tracks are the same, loose one. Pan it right in the center. if it still sounds lopsided something else is going on.

It always amazed me how often I would get a project to mix where every track was stereo - kick, snare, bass guitar etc.

Also what people are getting at with the limiter and multiband compressor stuff is the mastering stage. That is what will take your mix and level it up so that it sounds like a commercial release. And probably crush most of the dynamics out of it...

Thanks for all the feedbacks. I appreciate it,will look in to this. Is there a way that I could convert my stereo tracks. Cause I recorded the audio in stereo. If I can do that,then that would be great.

Did you record the guitar part in stereo? Do you need it to be in stereo? unless you are printing it with some prominent stereo modulation or ping pong delays or something like that, you probably don't. Try converting the stereo track into a mono track, and if the tracks are the same, loose one. Pan it right in the center. if it still sounds lopsided something else is going on.

It always amazed me how often I would get a project to mix where every track was stereo - kick, snare, bass guitar etc.

Also what people are getting at with the limiter and multiband compressor stuff is the mastering stage. That is what will take your mix and level it up so that it sounds like a commercial release. And probably crush most of the dynamics out of it...

His primary problem (from the OP) is volume on the track as a whole. Pre mastering compression/limiting usually sorts this out without complicating the issue.

His primary problem (from the OP) is volume on the track as a whole. Pre mastering compression/limiting usually sorts this out without complicating the issue.
His secondary problem seemed to be some kind of stereo placement issue. Other people had given some solid advice on the first issue, so I thought I would have a go at the second.
Another issue that I am having is that,when I was listening through my monitors I heard the guitar mostly on the right speaker so I tried using the direction mixer to pan it and then I could hear the guitar on the left but once I bounced it,its still very much to the right. What should I do about that?

His secondary problem seemed to be some kind of stereo placement issue. Other people had given some solid advice on the first issue, so I thought I would have a go at the second.

I was a bit lazy and didn't notice that! Good advice on converting tracks to mono. You reduce your processing and it's far easier to troubleshoot problems, edit, etc.

Back
Top Bottom