Need help! I know nothing about recording

gtrjunkie

Inspired
I would like to start doing some recording with the Axe2. Just stuff like playing to backing tracks and maybe doing layered tracks. I am looking at Yamaha HS80m's as monitors. What other hardware or software would I need? I also have a Behringer XENYX 1202FX mixer if that helps.

Instead of $700 monitors I would get $200-300 M-Audio Bx5a's and get a decent audio interface-

Like a new or used Mbox 2 or above

I don't think the Behringer will do you any good

If you are planning on recording direct to the PC, you can do this via the USB port on the AxeFX...you don't need an interface at all in this scenario (the axefx IS your interface)...all you'd need is some recording software like Cubase, sonar, or one of my favorites is Reaper...it's only $60 for a full license and it's great! If it were me, I'd get Reaper, a decent used soundcard off ebay(something by a music company, like M-audio, or RME), and some good monitors. This will get you started and should provide a great base for and future needs.

Just as an example, a good used set of Mackie HR824 monitors is about $500-$600, add another $100-$200 for a decent soundcard, and $60 for Reaper and you're in there. I really love the Mackie HR824's...very nice monitors, new they retail for around $1,500, but you can find them used for 500-600...just a thought!

Brian

You're better off on a recording forum for something like this. The Axe is pretty straightforward with USB, but you just need to find software and learn to use it...that's the hard part.

I have the hs80's and they rule! You can hear everything crystal clear. Plus, $400 is a steal. The downside, the low-end is not as loud as I like.

I use protools. However, Reaper is cheap and easy to learn and cubase is pretty simple to learn as well. The DAW typically doesn't matter. With recording, you put good in you can achieve good out.

I used to do alot of my own recordings (for fun) and now I'm getting back into it. Over the past few weeks, I've been trying to find a cheap way to do this without sacrificing quality. Here are some suggestions:

Recording Software - Reaper (you get 60 days to try it out with full functionality, then it's only $60 to keep)

Drums - EzDrummer by Toontrack (I just picked up a more expensive version called Superior Drummer but basically the same thing). Great grooves you can throw right into the recording software.

I picked up a bass guitar today so I can do songs, etc. Recording is really a blast. Don't get frustrated with it in the beginning. Just have fun. You'll learn tricks to make it sound better in the long run.

My advice when it comes to soundcard, don't buy M-audio Fast Track Pro. Absolutely the worst piece of hardware I've bought during my 30 years of
gear addiction, the drivers for this piece is horrible and they are not giving you any support either, nor do they care to work on the problems it seems.

just my 2 cents fwiw

maybe I was just having bad luck ..

;)

//Kenneth

Oh also, just wanted to add that I didn't buy a fancy soundcard for use with my Axe-FX II. I just have the soundcard that came with my lame HP computer. I go USB anyway. Would be nice though to be able to hear what I'm recording while I'm recording it. Right now I can only hear the playback. Too much latency when I try to listen while recording.

Oh also, just wanted to add that I didn't buy a fancy soundcard for use with my Axe-FX II. I just have the soundcard that came with my lame HP computer. I go USB anyway. Would be nice though to be able to hear what I'm recording while I'm recording it. Right now I can only hear the playback. Too much latency when I try to listen while recording.

So with USB you can't hear what your playing? Is that what an interface is for?

You can adjust latency...I set it at 256 samples in the ASIO FX USB driver panel, latency is 5ms then.....make sure you use a USB 2 port

Use the Axe to record with USB. Works great. I use HS80 and the Are good. Best in
Their price range IMO. Tried a lot of monitors before buying these.

Back
Top Bottom