Need help getting a transparent tone

Home Skillet

Inspired
I'm not sure how to approach this but I'm trying to get this tone that my friend is playing on a CD. He's playing a Duesenberg Starplayer TV straight into a Matchless DC30. I'm also playing a Starplayer but my presets have a DC30 and Vibrato Verb AA in stereo. I've tried different IR's, the DC30 by itself, and I can't quite capture the tone he has on the CD. There's a certain sparkle or chime that I just cant quite can't dial in. I'm trying to get him by surprise this weekend when I play. I want to show him that the Axe-FX II can get some convincing amp tones.

do you have a recording of the sound you're currently getting? hard to suggest what to do without that.

I didn't have time to record my tone before rehearsal and I left my rig at church until Sunday. I can assure you what I had was no where near what the target tone was. I've always gotten great overdriven tones, even ambient tones are solid, but when it comes to cleanish/edge of breakup tones I'm not the best in dialing those in.

Sorry, brother. We can't answer "What's wrong with my tone?" if we can't hear your tone.

i mean, that's the model i use for 99% of what i do. like we've said, it's hard to tell you where the issue is if we can't hear what you have so far. (i understand your rig isn't on hand, just saying)

as far as the clip, is that direct mic tone from his cab or room tone?

Yeah, my bad on not providing a clip of my current tone. I literally got really sick minutes after originally posting this thread and had no energy to play. And the time I did have energy, my MacBook kept freezing up when I'd record (friggin El Cap). I barely made it to rehearsal. Anyways enough excuses, just explaining why I wasn't providing a clip ;).

My friend is micing the mid cone of the G12M with a SM57 on-axis, and center cap of the G12H30 with a SM7B on-axis as well as the mid cone with with an e906. I know I have the tools to probably make something work, Cab Lab, Cab Pack 10, and Justin York OH IR's. I guess I'm not proficient in mixing IR's either, still learning that whole process and just designating time to do it also. Until I get a sound clip uploaded (which I know will sorely disappoint, not even close), any tips on how you guys would approach getting this tone?

Finally got a chance to upload a clip. I know I'm not playing to tempo, I just wanted to get this recorded real quick :) Also uploaded the preset.

Attachments

• Duesy DC30.syx
    6.3 KB · Views: 12
Finally got a chance to upload a clip. I know I'm not playing to tempo, I just wanted to get this recorded real quick :) Also uploaded the preset.

What don't you like about this?

You've nailed the mid and treble range. Your friend's tone has less bottom end, but that's easy to dial out. Lower the bass, and you're in.

Oh, and if you really want to sound like him, put a full band behind you. :)

I feel like your tone is close, maybe missing some top end chime. When my MacBook gets back from being repaired ill load up your preset and take a look.

What don't you like about this?
I feel like my tone is slightly nasally and lacking the top end chime that Jason mentioned. Also, I recorded this using Audacity and it feels like it takes some clarity out. I have Logic but it constantly gives me the pinwheel of death. I'm obviously new to using recording tools. I tried messing with the general parameters but it still feels like a blanket over the top end. I'm wondering if I need to dive deeper into the world of IR's.

I feel like my tone is slightly nasally and lacking the top end chime that Jason mentioned. Also, I recorded this using Audacity and it feels like it takes some clarity out. I have Logic but it constantly gives me the pinwheel of death. I'm obviously new to using recording tools. I tried messing with the general parameters but it still feels like a blanket over the top end. I'm wondering if I need to dive deeper into the world of IR's.
When you record a guitar track, part of what you're hearing is the acoustic sound of your own guitar, and that's brighter than your signal. Use your Axe's looper to listen to the tone you've dialed in, then compare it to the tone you get from Audacity.

When you record a guitar track, part of what you're hearing is the acoustic sound of your own guitar, and that's brighter than your signal. Use your Axe's looper to listen to the tone you've dialed in, then compare it to the tone you get from Audacity.
yes, this is very true. you'd be amazed at how much perceived brightness you get from the pick attack on the strings.

Reactions: Rex
I'd guess ir's are he missing link. What are you using now?
For this recording I'm using the NormalRes F117: 2x12 Boutique Mix and UltraRes F030: 2x12 Boutique Mix R121. I also use some James Santiago NormalRes IR's that have been my main go-to mix. I've tried mixing some UltraRes IR's from some Fractal and OH Cab Packs but I just haven't found the right mix for me, or that I'm probably doing something wrong. I hear other people's mixes like yours and they sound awesome. I've just never nailed it with IR's I guess.

For this recording I'm using the NormalRes F117: 2x12 Boutique Mix and UltraRes F030: 2x12 Boutique Mix R121. I also use some James Santiago NormalRes IR's that have been my main go-to mix. I've tried mixing some UltraRes IR's from some Fractal and OH Cab Packs but I just haven't found the right mix for me, or that I'm probably doing something wrong. I hear other people's mixes like yours and they sound awesome. I've just never nailed it with IR's I guess.
i'm honestly not a fan of either of those cabs. which OH's have you tried?

i'm honestly not a fan of either of those cabs. which OH's have you tried?
The Justin York collection. To be upfront, I only spent about 3-4hrs trying out different cabs and then trying different mixes using Cab Lab 3. I'm not sure if I was having phase issues but it just felt like it was lacking fullness/body and warmth. I know from the samples and clips I've heard online that this collection sounds awesome, so I'm probably doing something wrong here.

Back
Top Bottom