Need help getting a good bass tone

Volvagia

I need help getting a good bass tone for modern metal like periphery. Can anyone suggest some good presets, IRs, settings to help me out? Much appreciated :)

This might help. I base all my bass tones off Nollys since I love it so much. You can even download the patch too.

@dr bonkers Any in particular (referring to mics) that you would recommend with your cabs? Been trying to get that Nolly 2013 YouTube vid bass tone. I've got close with some of the stock cab IR's in conjunction with my Alpha Omega pedal, but am thinking his Zilla cab with the AT ATM25 is a big part of that punchy/tight low end he has. About to purchase your IR's and was just curious if you had any recommendations to start with.

@dr bonkers Any in particular (referring to mics) that you would recommend with your cabs? Been trying to get that Nolly 2013 YouTube vid bass tone. I've got close with some of the stock cab IR's in conjunction with my Alpha Omega pedal, but am thinking his Zilla cab with the AT ATM25 is a big part of that punchy/tight low end he has. About to purchase your IR's and was just curious if you had any recommendations to start with.
@JShar08 Thanks so much for your interest.

I listened to the video.

I'm going to say either the RE20 or D12 HypeReal mixes will probably get you in the ballpark. I never had the opportunity to try the ATM-25 in any session work, so I am basing this solely off the video audio and a frequency response chart that I saw for the microphone as well as my knowledge of how my different mics sound on different cabs.

@JShar08 Thanks so much for your interest.

I listened to the video.

I'm going to say either the RE20 or D12 HypeReal mixes will probably get you in the ballpark. I never had the opportunity to try the ATM-25 in any session work, so I am basing this solely off the video audio and a frequency response chart that I saw for the microphone as well as my knowledge of how my different mics sound on different cabs.

Genuinely appreciate the feedback and hasty reply! Got them downloaded and will give them a go, thanks so much!

@dr bonkers Thought I'd post an update after trying both the Orange and Aguilar cabs you captured. I'm splitting my highs and lows and using the Darkglass Alpha Omega Ultra's built-in Forrester's Punch IR for highs with your HypeReal 8x10_AG12_SM57_RE10_PZM_DBS IR for lows. It has been the closest I've ever got to that video tone, and honestly, is subtly different enough to be my own. So thanks for the suggestion and making a dank cab IR. Once I get a few more post (still new and can't attach links) I'll toss up a link for ya to hear.

* Signal flow is a Dingwall NG3 in position 2 with a bump to all frequencies using the active Darkglass EQ built-in > Axe-FX III > JFET Comp > Blackglass 7K > Crossover Block (splitting left/low and right/highs) set to 300Hz > Tube Pre (lows) > cab using Dr Bonkers IR mentioned above > output 1. Highs then go to a gate > output 2 > Darkglass Alpha Omega Ultra.

@dr bonkers Thought I'd post an update after trying both the Orange and Aguilar cabs you captured. I'm splitting my highs and lows and using the Darkglass Alpha Omega Ultra's built-in Forrester's Punch IR for highs with your HypeReal 8x10_AG12_SM57_RE10_PZM_DBS IR for lows. It has been the closest I've ever got to that video tone, and honestly, is subtly different enough to be my own. So thanks for the suggestion and making a dank cab IR. Once I get a few more post (still new and can't attach links) I'll toss up a link for ya to hear.

* Signal flow is a Dingwall NG3 in position 2 with a bump to all frequencies using the active Darkglass EQ built-in > Axe-FX III > JFET Comp > Blackglass 7K > Crossover Block (splitting left/low and right/highs) set to 300Hz > Tube Pre (lows) > cab using Dr Bonkers IR mentioned above > output 1. Highs then go to a gate > output 2 > Darkglass Alpha Omega Ultra.
I'd love to hear what you come up with.

Curious.. have you checked if the hi and low path are out of phase? Just wondering out loud so to speak since your two paths are going through different number and types of blocks.

Curious.. have you checked if the hi and low path are out of phase? Just wondering out loud so to speak since your two paths are going through different number and types of blocks.

As far as I can tell, they are not; thankfully, the Bonkers IR and the Darkglass IR work well together without any alignment issues or phasing.

Back
Top Bottom