Need help for the AX8 to power amp and cab

Jordi_C

Hi guys,

I use the AX8 on my rehearsal through the Seymour Duncan Power Amp Stage 170 and to the Harley Benton G212 Vintage. But the sounds is a bit poor and there's a lot of noise and peaks. I don't know how to solve it…. I can't find many tutorials on how to set it up correctly, maybe is something of the EQ of the amp block or I'm missing something, I don't know... I also tried to add EQ blocks and many things but I can't never manage to make it sound correctly...

I also change always I use it there the global settings to bypass the cab modeling and set gain level low/mid, so that's not the problem I guess...

Can anyone who uses any Axe Fx though power amp and cab help?

Thanks!

Last edited:
I used the ax8 with a stereo power amp and speaker, it really shouldn't sound like what your describing . speaker IR's off, i left the power amp modeling on , I did find a lot of presets I had made didn't work well with power amp and speakers I went back to some of the stock presets and found the one's that sounded not bad and tweaked from there, run mono delays ,if you run too much modulation ,enhancer ,Chorus ,can get out of phase. The only things I really tweaked was the main amp page, I would try to keep as simple as I could.
Make sure your using good quality cords.
Also I take snapshots a lot, so if I mess a good sound I can always go back, Also not sure the type of music your in too. I play classic rock . no death metal gain

Are you connected to your computer through the USB when you hear the noise and peaks? Disconnect it and see if the sound issue goes away.

Also, start simple as EdgE said above so that you can determine what to add and adjust to get you a good sound through the AX8 and power amp with cab.

I have an AX8 and it sounds great through my tube power amp with two cabs.

Try to set up "just" a preset with an amp and get it to sound good then insert some Reverb (check to see if it sounds good) then insert some Delay (check to see if it sounds good) then .......

I don't know what style/genre you prefer but here are a few video links for people that have provided some really good free AX8 presets:

Fractal Audio AX8 Free Patches - by Glenn Delaune - YouTube

Free AX8 80's Presets - YouTube (Leon has provided a LOT of free ones over the years)

I have used/tried each one from the videos "without" the IR's since I run direct through a tube power amp with two cabs.

Global first or second selection ,this turns them off for every thing , or you just makes presets for amp and speakers for playing live without a cab. Then make presets with speakers . (IR’s are the speaker cabs)

I got a free app for my phone ,I think it’s called decibels, I used to set my pre sets up about 90 decibels .you can really can’t make pre sets with head phone and monitors and have them sound the same with a power amp and real speaker cabs you .You have to make the preset running power amp and real speaker cab

Global first or second selection ,this turns them off for every thing , or you just makes presets for amp and speakers for playing live without a cab. Then make presets with speakers . (IR’s are the speaker cabs)
I guess you mean cabinet modeling to set it to bypass, I already do that when I connect it to the cab

I,m surprised any one with a Seymour power amp hasn't chimed in , and given you a preset they use . You could try axe exchange and try some presets, the one for power amp and speakers

I,m surprised any one with a Seymour power amp hasn't chimed in , and given you a preset they use . You could try axe exchange and try some presets, the one for power amp and speakers
Yes... I wanted as well to ask if someone that uses the ax8 or other axe fx product through a power amp and cab to share his preset...
I also searched on axe change but the few ones I found didn't worked fine...

Thought of another thing ,don’t know if you bought used or new .but you could go into ,not sure ifin global , but some where in settings, reset parameters .?

I've only found 2 presets for the FM3 from Ola Englund which the setup are for the power amp + cab. but unfortunately I can't convert them for the AX8...

Look for AXE FX II presets then convert them over.

Also, look for some of Ola's videos on YouTube for the AX8 since I believe he usually shares the presets through the video links.

I'm using my AX8 through the SD 170 and have had no problem running through various cabs and using various presets. I'm running the cables just as it says in the manual. I get plenty of compliments on my sound, so it must be working.

I'm using my AX8 through the SD 170 and have had no problem running through various cabs and using various presets. I'm running the cables just as it says in the manual. I get plenty of compliments on my sound, so it must be working.
May u share the preset or maybe take some pictures to compare with mine? thx!

Back
Top Bottom