Need help controlling GCX switcher from Axe-Fx III

mike132

Hello,

I have figured how to setup a CC transmit to the GCX when a scene is entered, but do not know how to set one up when leaving a scene. Example: when I go to a preset using an external preamp, I use the MIDI block in the scene 1 for the preset to send the cc (channel 16, 80, 255) to turn on the loop that feeds the external pre. The problem is when I leave the preset the loop stays active unless something sends it a new CC (channel 16, 80, 0) to turn it off. I could use another scene to send via the MIDI block, but don't want to have to hit an extra footswitch before changing presets. Ideally, I would like to send the loop off command when leaving the preset. Anyone have an idea how to do this?

Thanks in advance.

Because i would have to add the block to every preset i might switch to that doesn't use the external preamp.

Yeah thanks, I have one but would really like to learn how to do it natively within the Axe FX III to eliminate another piece of hardware and power supply.

What I really need is a cc message sent either on exit or entry to a preset. This would maintain the correct state for all scenes within the preset.

What I really need is a cc message sent either on exit or entry to a preset. This would maintain the correct state for all scenes within the preset.
There's no such concept as "leaving the current preset"... Only preset change, which knows about the new preset only. I've never encounter any other Midi controlled gear that is any different.

You might be able to use FracTool to batch add a Midi block to all your presets, but not sure.

Worst case, just set up the block and save to your Axe-Edit block library to make it easy to insert into other presets.

Yeah thanks, I have one but would really like to learn how to do it natively within the Axe FX III to eliminate another piece of hardware and power supply.
You could get 3 loops with no extra hardware with the axe fx3at best.

As described above, to send 8 cc messages when entering a preset and when leaving a preset you need a scene midi block per preset. Or, as I suggested above get you a looper with presets like the effects gizmo and then control with pc changes.

Or

Use the ground control pro to call presets on the axe 3 and to send the cc states you desire on your gcx

Most of the gear ive used has the ability to send midi on program change (i.e. pc message) i am only looking to do the same thing with cc. Doesnt seem unreasonable given the axe fx iii is positioned as tge "master controller" of your rig.

The axe does send pc changes. But it’s not a MIDI controller.

It CAN do what you want but you have to program each patch. The limiting factor is the fact that the gcx skipped midi pc changes (standard in most midi devices as You mentioned)

Most of the gear ive used has the ability to send midi on program change (i.e. pc message) i am only looking to do the same thing with cc. Doesnt seem unreasonable given the axe fx iii is positioned as tge "master controller" of your rig.
But the Axe Fx is NOT sending anything (except with a midi block)... It is responding to midi.

Actually it does send midi - that's what the MIDI block is for...
You could get 3 loops with no extra hardware with the axe fx3at best.

As described above, to send 8 cc messages when entering a preset and when leaving a preset you need a scene midi block per preset. Or, as I suggested above get you a looper with presets like the effects gizmo and then control with pc changes.

Or

Use the ground control pro to call presets on the axe 3 and to send the cc states you desire on your gcx
Yeah, its looking like that's what I will have to do unfortunately. I just wish there was a MIDI function that was triggered by patch change that could be overriden on a per program basis...

Sorry read too quickly. I meant it will send pcs on prog change.

Right, which is also what just about all other gear does.

The real problem here is that the GCX has a poor MIDI implementation, IMO. It essentially has no concept of "presets", relying on a series of CC commands to control each relay individually. It works, but IMO it's a serious pain for interoperability with other gear.

Other options (RJM) are better in this regard.

I'm not sure I follow here. I thought the suggestion was that the Effects Gizmo would take the place of the GCX.

Sorry read too quickly. I meant it will send pcs on prog change.
Not that I am aware of. If you're controlling it with a standard midi controller, PCs may get passed on the midi thru port, but the FCs are not midi controllers and they tell the Axe Fx to change presets.

The Axe Fx itself only sends midi when there is a midi block present... Or if you use Control Switch midi on the FC.

Not that I am aware of. If you're controlling it with a standard midi controller, PCs may get passed on the midi thru port, but the FCs are not midi controllers and they tell the Axe Fx to change presets.

The Axe Fx itself only sends midi when there is a midi block present... Or if you use Control Switch midi on the FC.

It should send a PC anytime a preset is recalled if this option is enabled. (Manual p.164) Not that it helps the OP since the GCX doesn't respond to PC messages.

Send MIDI PC
1–16
OMNI
OFF

Determines whether or not the Axe-Fx III will automatically transmit a MIDI Program Change message at its MIDI OUT port when a new preset is loaded.

This is the easiest way for most people to operate a single connected MIDI device while changing presets on the Axe-Fx III. Any custom MIDI mapping is left to the downstream device. To use this feature you simply select which channel you want the message to be transmitted on. The “OMNI” setting transmits the message on all channels.

It should send a PC anytime a preset is recalled if this option is enabled. (Manual p.164) Not that it helps the OP since the GCX doesn't respond to PC messages.
I stand corrected. Thanks for providing that reference.

Right, which is also what just about all other gear does.

The real problem here is that the GCX has a poor MIDI implementation, IMO. It essentially has no concept of "presets", relying on a series of CC commands to control each relay individually. It works, but IMO it's a serious pain for interoperability with other gear.

Other options (RJM) are better in this regard.

I'm not sure I follow here. I thought the suggestion was that the Effects Gizmo would take the place of the GCX.

- UPDATE: Sorry, I was confusing the Effects Gizmo with a different device I have from Midi Solutions - Its called "Midi Event Processor" and it goes inline between two midi devices and can translate and sequence commands. I could use this to translate each PC into 8 CCs for the GCX, but it is another piece of hardware and requires a bit of programming.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom