Need help choosing the best interface!

If money is no object the answer is usually both. Some engineers like to use different preamps like different colors when tracking. Traditionally then with mixing, outboard consoles were used that were considered more transparent.

Might be worth having a phone call to discuss your needs with a place like Vintage King to put a full system together. Also if considering a large outboard console like the origin I'd probably also look to see if I could rent time at a studio with one. They should also have outboard mic pres that you can test and see what you like. An engineer there will be able to assist you and also give you their feedback on using the gear in a work setting.
Nick, excellent advice.. I appreciate your input. Thanks!

Look into the Antelope Products. They have everything from 2 input all the way to a 64 input goliath interface. Some of the interfaces have mic pres and others do not. I have the Antelope Orion 32 and use it with a console and outboard pre amps. They are very good quality and a really good deal for what you get especially side by side names like Apogee, DAD, Lynx, etc. Most if not all of the Antelope line of interfaces have effects that can be used on them with zero latency while tracking and mixing, as well.

https://en.antelopeaudio.com/

James

Look into the Antelope Products. They have everything from 2 input all the way to a 64 input goliath interface. Some of the interfaces have mic pres and others do not. I have the Antelope Orion 32 and use it with a console and outboard pre amps. They are very good quality and a really good deal for what you get especially side by side names like Apogee, DAD, Lynx, etc. Most if not all of the Antelope line of interfaces have effects that can be used on them with zero latency while tracking and mixing, as well.

https://en.antelopeaudio.com/

James
Thanks James! And thanks for taking the time to respond... this forum is excellent!

Thanks James! And thanks for taking the time to respond... this forum is excellent!
No Problem!

Just do some heavy research. I saw you were thinking about an SSL console. I have been that route. I used analog gear for 30+ years and had a number of large format consoles (ones most people dream of owning), with massive tape machines and heavy duty outboard.

I am in the middle of shrinking my studio down, because you really don't need all of that to make excellent records, anymore.
I have sold most of my outboard and only kept the most essential pieces that use on the way in, or to put a bus compressor on the master and mix back into pro tools. This is called a hybrid setup. I am selling my 40 channel Neotek console through a broker right now. Here is a pic of where it is right now, before selling the console. The second pic is where it was a few years ago.PXL_20210503_013347142.jpg

IMG_20151115_204351.jpg

If you want some hands on touch and feel look into the SSL UF8 controller (you can do up to 32 faders with it), and try and go hybrid. With the Antelope Orion 32+ gen3 you can do something like this for a lot less than an SSL duality or Origin and can have more variety in the tones you can achieve. The difference is to commit to certain things on the way in and track with your singer to multiple tracks 1 straight and one with a compressor on it. The microphone preamps you choose will be where you can get your various tones from. I have several Neve and API preamps to get that kind of color or tone depending on the song or album. You can also look into Burl converters, I have a Burl B2 to take the master mix back into pro tools (you can get some of the good from tape sound using it). Also look at getting a UAD satellite DSP and try their plugins. I use them on most of my mixes and they really are the best.

Just some more for you to think about.

James

No Problem!

Just do some heavy research. I saw you were thinking about an SSL console. I have been that route. I used analog gear for 30+ years and had a number of large format consoles (ones most people dream of owning), with massive tape machines and heavy duty outboard.

I am in the middle of shrinking my studio down, because you really don't need all of that to make excellent records, anymore.
I have sold most of my outboard and only kept the most essential pieces that use on the way in, or to put a bus compressor on the master and mix back into pro tools. This is called a hybrid setup. I am selling my 40 channel Neotek console through a broker right now. Here is a pic of where it is right now, before selling the console. The second pic is where it was a few years ago.View attachment 84247

View attachment 84248

If you want some hands on touch and feel look into the SSL UF8 controller (you can do up to 32 faders with it), and try and go hybrid. With the Antelope Orion 32+ gen3 you can do something like this for a lot less than an SSL duality or Origin and can have more variety in the tones you can achieve. The difference is to commit to certain things on the way in and track with your singer to multiple tracks 1 straight and one with a compressor on it. The microphone preamps you choose will be where you can get your various tones from. I have several Neve and API preamps to get that kind of color or tone depending on the song or album. You can also look into Burl converters, I have a Burl B2 to take the master mix back into pro tools (you can get some of the good from tape sound using it). Also look at getting a UAD satellite DSP and try their plugins. I use them on most of my mixes and they really are the best.

Just some more for you to think about.

James
James, outstanding content! Thanks so much for sharing your knowledge! I have a mountain to learn... nothing like seeing an analog console! But as you say.. do you really need it? A hybrid system sounds like the way to go. I have collected a ton of outboard gear as a studio musician, but with all the plugins I question how often I would use any of it. If you don't mind me asking, where are you located? I have lived all over the country in the past, I would love to get some first hand experience if that is possible. No commitment, just curious. Thanks a ton!

James, outstanding content! Thanks so much for sharing your knowledge! I have a mountain to learn... nothing like seeing an analog console! But as you say.. do you really need it? A hybrid system sounds like the way to go. I have collected a ton of outboard gear as a studio musician, but with all the plugins I question how often I would use any of it. If you don't mind me asking, where are you located? I have lived all over the country in the past, I would love to get some first hand experience if that is possible. No commitment, just curious. Thanks a ton!

I started out on a reel to reel that my dad gave me when he didn't use it anymore (late 70s early 80s), I was 6 or 7 then. Moved to a cassette 4 track with my guitar amp a cheap mic and a drum machine. I ended up in a band that did very well in the 80s thrash scene. I bought my first "real" studio setup in 1990 when I got a deal to do a solo guitar album. I used my advance to buy all the gear since I had a 3 record deal. Back then it was not unheard of to get all the stuff you are thinking of. A tape machine, large console, outboard gear like crazy, guitars, amps, mics, etc.

I did 90% of it all on my own with a friend playing drums on it. I used a producer recommended by my label and that was a good thing for me so that I did not have to worry about producing just recording, mastering, mixing, and playing most of the parts.

I got an SSL 4056E (built in '81) from a studio that was going to close and 2 16 track 1" tape machines for a steal, to record my record on. I got some outboard in a similar fashion and the rest I had to scour or get new, before I start recording. It took me 8 months to get everything needed and installed, cabled and ready to go. I got my 2 options for my other 2 solo records from the record company.

After that experience I decided I liked doing everything and kept doing it. I started my own studio and ran it in a great location for about 12 years, before things in the record industry changed. I closed the studio and sold some of the gear and kept what I wanted for myself and started all new at my house. I do mixing only (except for my own albums) now and don't do it to make a living. Now I can just take the projects I want to and have a blast doing it with no pressure from record companies, and the like. Right now I am working on my next solo record.

I am just north of Dallas Texas right now, but started out in the southern Cal. area through the 80s. You can message me if you want to get more insight and we can talk offline, if you want. I have no issue helping you out if really want to start getting yourself setup.

Back
Top Bottom