1. We would like to remind our members that this is a privately owned, run and supported forum. You are here at the invitation and discretion of the owners. As such, rules and standards of conduct will be applied that help keep this forum functioning as the owners desire. These include, but are not limited to, removing content and even access to the forum.

Please give yourself a refresher on the forum rules you agreed to follow when you signed up.
    Dismiss Notice

Need help - cant get stereo (ping pong delay) from a cab

Discussion in 'Axe-Fx II Discussion' started by paulmapp8306, May 15, 2018.

1. paulmapp8306

paulmapp8306
    Expand Collapse
    Fractal Fanatic

So - Ive been an amp/cab guy for my whole AFX life (10 years now) - but recently Ive re-arranged things at home and its easy to use my monitors and IRs - and as such Ive been playing around with cabs for pretty much the first time.

Thing is, I cant get a ping pong delay from my cabs. If I bypass my cab I get the correct ping ponging delays - so its definitely the cab block thats causing it. Whenever I enable the cab - its as if its summing the left and right signals - either at the input or output.

If I delete the block, and add a new one its the same - so m guessing theres some setting somewhere set to sum L/R or similar, though it can only be relevant to the cab blocks (as the cab is the last block in the chain and bypassing it gives me the correct delays).

Ive tried a system parameter reset - and its the same thing. I cant work out whats happening.

The cab is putting out a stereo signal - in that I can pan it hard left and hard right and I get sound out of the correct speaker - its just summing (or using just left or just right) the signal.

Anyone shed any light on this? Its driving me nutts.

2. Admin M@

Admin M@
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Fractal Audio Systems Moderator

Either set the Cab's INPUT SELECT to STEREO (PG2) or place the Delay after the Cab block.
    I'm not sure, but I also think that a lot of ROOM could cause this, since I suspect that the input to the ambience processor is summed.

3. paulmapp8306

paulmapp8306
    Expand Collapse
    Fractal Fanatic

Input is set to stereo.

Moving the delay block post cab does make it work - but as I split my signal pre cab and send one to my power amp via OP 2 then the other through the cab ir - I kind of need the delay pre cab (I know Im not getting ping pong via the amp/cab but thats fine).

I tried the preset "run like Heck". This has the delay post cab and it works - If I move the cab after the delay block I get the same issue - so not sure its a problem within my cab setting as such as thats a factory preset.

4. paulmapp8306

paulmapp8306
    Expand Collapse
    Fractal Fanatic

The run like heck has 0% room - as do my cab blocks.

5. Bakerman

Bakerman
    Expand Collapse
    Axe-Master

You need to choose a "stereo" cab block mode. Also make sure the Pan L & Pan R parameters are fully left/right, unless you want to reduce stereo width at the cab block.

6. paulmapp8306

paulmapp8306
    Expand Collapse
    Fractal Fanatic

Where do I choose stereo cabblock mode? cant find it (and as Its something Ive not needed before.....)

7. paulmapp8306

paulmapp8306
    Expand Collapse
    Fractal Fanatic

OK - found it. Though it hadnt worked, but L/R pans were central as well. Once hard panned Its fine.

10 years into the AFX journey and Im still learning stuff.......

8. Billbill

Billbill
    Expand Collapse
    Forum Addict

The AxeFx is an art form in itself