Need help auditioning IR's and amps

frankiev

Experienced
Forgive what are probably ignorant questions but Im nowhere near the experience level of 99% of you guys .

I have tons of IR's OH RW etc... I could use some advice on auditioning them . Ive heard or mix ir and irlab but I have some questions . What amp do you guys use to audition the ir's? Is it one amp or several amps for diff speaker types? Which amp type with which IR type ? , suggestions please.

Regarding auditioning amps . How do I go about doing that . I believe the proper way is to record a dry track (which Im not to sure how to do ) I can fumble thru reaper to record . I was somehow able to loop something in reaper but dont really know how I did it. So what I need is to loop a dry track , correct? Can someone explain a basic way I can do this. Once I have the loop and can sort thru the amps do you guys use just one IR or ?

Thanks for any help

I usually pick an amp first, reset the amp and make some basic gain adjustments, then I start trying out different IRs for the amp. I'm just using one or two stereo cab blocks panned to center to do simple A/B-ing and mixing of IRs. Just load them up with IR's and use the level controls on each cab to test and blend them.

To record a dry track, just add a looper to the front of your grid, then you can use the front panel looper controls (edit looper, look at screen) to record some dry guitar playing. now you have a loop you can run while you switch/tweak your amps and cabs.

The best advice I can give is don't try them all out. Your ears fatigue quite quickly and you won't hear the subtleties difference between 0 inch and 1 inch etc.

I usually record a track in my DAW (Logic, Pro Tools etc) with the CAB bypassed, so all i record is the "fuzzy" tone. then add an impulse loader as a VST and audition them from there. Much easier than loading in and out of the Axe.

http://audio.lernvall.com for MAC

http://lepouplugins.blogspot.co.uk/2010/12/lecab2-vst-for-windows.html for WINDOWS

The best advice I can give is don't try them all out. Your ears fatigue quite quickly and you won't hear the subtleties difference between 0 inch and 1 inch etc.

I usually record a track in my DAW (Logic, Pro Tools etc) with the CAB bypassed, so all i record is the "fuzzy" tone. then add an impulse loader as a VST and audition them from there. Much easier than loading in and out of the Axe.

Lernvall Audio for MAC

LePou Plugins: LeCab2 (VST for Windows) for WINDOWS

Thanks for the link Ill check it out

Back
Top Bottom