Need help (again ... lol)

RockerAlex

Inspired
Well guys, you'll be glad to know I'm back again with my endless questions!

Recently I took the plunge into using the Axe completely DI and sold my 4x12 and picked up a pair of KRK Rokit 6s in the meantime.

Truth be told I've never heard the Axe through speakers this clear and high quality before (freq response is reported as 38-35000hz!) and I'm having a lot of trouble dialing out high end "sizzle" or "fizz" or "frying bacon noise" or whatever you want to call it with these speakers a lot more so than I did with the 4x12. It seems when I use big generous high cuts I lose the clarity I want, but when I dial the clarity back in I'm getting the fizz again ...

Can anybody share some tips?

(1) make sure your cab blocks are functioning (not bypassed as they would typically be when running a real guitar cab).
(2) find IRs that get you closer to what you want to hear. They truly do make a world of difference.
(3) every KRK product I've ever used had a high end sizzle that I couldn't get rid of without being overly dark or boomy.

(1) make sure your cab blocks are functioning (not bypassed as they would typically be when running a real guitar cab).
(2) find IRs that get you closer to what you want to hear. They truly do make a world of difference.
(3) every KRK product I've ever used had a high end sizzle that I couldn't get rid of without being overly dark or boomy.

1. I'm not silly you know!
2. Currently sifting through the Ownhammer High Gain Essentials, so I might be a while!
3. Oh dear ... perhaps I should compensate via the back panel by turning down HF by 1 2 or 3db?

Last edited:
This has been the single biggest learning experience in owning and enjoying an Axe-FX that I've experienced so far.
Also, buy Cab Lab and experiment with it, hoooooly crap I'm loving the hell out of it!

Can't be said enough. Check around for 'cab tweaks' in the Amp block and speaker block. I would spend less time with the amp itself, but the speaker IR. It's huge.

I ran into the same problem when I went to CLR's. You hear almost TOO MUCH (very faithful monitoring), but it's great for pinpointing what the problems are...the key is find what works for you (no, it's not the same for everyone.)

1. I'm not silly you know!
2. Currently sifting through the Ownhammer High Gain Essentials, so I might be a while!
3. Oh dear ... perhaps I should compensate via the back panel by turning down HF by 1 2 or 3db?

1. I wasn't insinuating, but with limited details I figured I'd cover all the bases, and this is a relatively often addressed issue. :encouragement:
2. IMO, you couldn't have picked a better place to start! The HGE stuff is FANTASTIC! FWIW, I liked the Diezel & Mesa (SS PA, somewhere between #5-8 IIRC, I forget which mic... prob '57) together, both panned up the middle. Diezel cab +1dB in the cab block, Mesa cab -1dB. I think I'm using 16Ohm Eng V30's on both, but I can't remember for sure... maybe 8Ohm, but definitely the Eng V30's.
3. Wouldn't hurt to try, but I think those are for room corrections? Try playing a recording of a song you like and know very well, then adjust those settings until it sounds perfect to you. Use that as your baseline for dialing the Axe. Again, FWIW, the passive GEQ in the amp block (or separate GEQ block, if you prefer) is excellent.

You need to find the right settings with all these combined : presence in the amp block, bright in the "tone" tab (in AE) of the amp block, high cut in the cab block. + the right choice of IR ; it starts there

Motor drive pushes the speaker driver. Not really a description for it, but it *can* reduce high end sizzle.

It's pretty subtle on many amps, so it's not a fix. More like an 'it's almost there, just one more little thing' kind of parameter.

Motor drive pushes the speaker driver. Not really a description for it, but it *can* reduce high end sizzle.

It's pretty subtle on many amps, so it's not a fix. More like an 'it's almost there, just one more little thing' kind of parameter.

Holy shit, there's nothing subtle about it to me! Played with it today, and having it on 5 seems to be almost exactly what I was looking for.

Back
Top Bottom