Need direction...how to bring the amps to life

I had one of the better FRFR solutions, an EV ELX112, and it didn't sound nearly as good as my CLR....so what you are using to amplify your axe definitely plays a big role.

You can pick up used RCFNX12SMA for much cheaper now that the CLR is available. That's a nice speaker and the CLR just made it much cheaper to buy (used at least).

One thought. If you're trying to get the thump and punch of a real amp from the Behringer monitor it's not going to feel the same. Like others here, I've been through several options, and the sound of the amp will be the same (or damned close once dialed in) but that feel won't. I can't comment specifically on CLR or Q12a, since I don't have them yet. But you can get a great sound in the mix with your FOH system, where you sound incredible. I prefer the feel of a Matrix GT1000 into guitar cabs, and the sonic quality, clarity and bigness into the PA = awesome. It's funny because I find when I play through the stage monitors I think it sounds like crap, but I get a lot of tone compliments out front.

So follow the advice of others and dial in your tone with basic amp & cab blocks, try some IRs if you want. But I think it might be the feel you're missing with the setup. It just depends on what you want to accomplish.

One thought. If you're trying to get the thump and punch of a real amp from the Behringer monitor it's not going to feel the same. Like others here, I've been through several options, and the sound of the amp will be the same (or damned close once dialed in) but that feel won't. I can't comment specifically on CLR or Q12a, since I don't have them yet. But you can get a great sound in the mix with your FOH system, where you sound incredible. I prefer the feel of a Matrix GT1000 into guitar cabs, and the sonic quality, clarity and bigness into the PA = awesome. It's funny because I find when I play through the stage monitors I think it sounds like crap, but I get a lot of tone compliments out front.

So follow the advice of others and dial in your tone with basic amp & cab blocks, try some IRs if you want. But I think it might be the feel you're missing with the setup. It just depends on what you want to accomplish.

I think you nailed it. I'm missing the feel and dynamics/clarity. So stupid question...aren't cab blocks and IR's the same?

IRs are loaded in a CAB block. There are other IRs available than the stock ones, and can sometimes bring a patch to life, but the AXEII has a a lot of excellent Cabs to start with.

Have you tried playing using the 4CM (if your amp has a loop in/out)? How about direct to the amp. Recommend turning off the Cab sims to see if guitar cab clarity returns. This might give you more on what you hear/feel and what you're used to.

It is true that the guitar via the PA will still sound like a miked amp out front at the FOH using the AXEII direct (assuming you have a decent patch). On stage you're probably not feeling your backline feel of a real amp. I've learned to not worry about that as much, but when I am only using a backline for my sound, that;s where the amp/guitar cab feels right for me. What does suck is the off-axis sound drops so much more compared to the FRFR speakers.

I am still interested in trying a CLR or Q12a, since many people feel you get the best of both worlds. I hope to hook up with an acquaintance who has both to do a shoot out before I buy anything.

Better speakers.. be it monitors or a PA type wedge like the Atomic (CLR) or Xitone offerings.. will make ALL the difference. I came from playing similar type amps for many years and didn't gel with the Axe all that well until I got the CLRs. Studio type monitors don't appeal to me.. too small and I tend to push them too hard.

Last edited:
8" speaker?

For carrying to rehearsal, they sound ideal to me. I don't need 120dB for that.

BTW, I use Mackie Thump TH-15A's at home. Inexpensive solution that doesn't sound blanketed or odd at all. I'm more than satisfied using them with the Axe. I've heard a CLR in the same room with my TH-15A's. It sounded great and got massively loud, but I'm resisting the $2k purchase. :)

I always turn the "sag " setting all the way down (off). I'm not sure why. However, it always seems to suck the life out of mine.

I've checked global settings and noticed if I turn "off' the power amp modeling section then I have a TON of output..if I turn it on..then everything goes quiet and dull...HELP??? I have to use this tomorrow and I can't even build a preset yet.
Check your Master Volume setting.

I always turn the "sag " setting all the way down (off). I'm not sure why. However, it always seems to suck the life out of mine.

Turning the sag down to 0 completely disengages the power amp simulation portion of the amp block, which means when you do that, you're only hearing the preamp.

K...for anyone looking here to find a solid review/answer.. I found Scott's 'taming the beast' video and be answers everything. Really does a fantastic job of pointing you in the right direction. Thank you for all of the help everyone!! I've used my axe twice live since opening this thread and was blown away at how good it sounds at 'gig' levels.

Back
Top Bottom