Need assistance with strange issue between Axe and GCP MIDI.

JasonE

Inspired
Mods: Wasn't sure where to post this. If this is in the wrong place I apologize. Please move it if this isn't a good place for it.

I am having a strange issue which I think is patch related, which is why I posted in this area. Here is what is happening to me.

I built a patch of a nice twang sound. I started with a patch I found on the Axe Exchange and modified it. I did that because I really liked the sound of the amp in the patch and it had most of what I wanted in it. I assigned one of my expression pedals to external1 by pressing the I/O button and setting it in ther. I selected external1 and pressed enter to get it in learn mode. I then moved the expression pedal and it picked it up and assigned the number 9 to it. I then set up a tremolo effect and set a modifyer to use external1. I was able to use the expression pedal to change the rate on the tremolo and when in heel down position it shuts the tremolo off. I set my other expression pedal the same way and set it to control the input volume. Everything was working and life seemed good.

I created a second patch from the bottom up. I took a patch and deleted everything in it and started with an amp and a cab and started building it up with all of the different effects that I wanted in the patch. I started testing the effects and operation in the new patch and things started sounding really strange. I started listening a little closer and it sounded like the footswitch I have programmed for turning the delay on and off is also turning on and off something that has a swirling sound to it and even sort of a cocked wah pedal sound. I started digging into it and noticed that my input volume isn't working anymore either. I went in to I/O and set the input volume and the external1 the same way I did on the previous patch. The interesting thing is that it assigned different numbers this time. One of them ended up with the same number as the delay control switch. This fixed things for this patch after I assigned a different number to the delay switch so they were different.

I thought that took care of it, then I went back to the first patch and it was now messed up. I thought these messages in I/O were global and were set by the GCP then learned by the Axe. I am not sure what is making these message numbers change from one patch to the next. Any help with this would be greatly appreciate. I feel like I have learned a ton about the Axe this weekend and am really making good progress on making patches. This setback has sort of thrown me off the horse so to speak. Thanks for your help in advace.

Re: Need assistance with strange issue between Axe and GCP M

It sounds like the issue is that your GCP is sending out different controller values for each of the presets. Go to Edit mode for each preset on the GCP that you use to access these AxeFx patches. I think you press bank down on the GCP to get to the Pedal 1 & 2 values - it sounds like you want these to be the same for both patches. If they don't match, change them so they do. Save your changes, and then go back to the AxeFx and redo the I/O set up to make sure you're getting the desired result.

+1 on that ^^^^^^^

Sounds like the midi channels in the GCP are not set correctly for the pedals. Example: with my setup with the GCP I was anal about it and set the A/I and Pedal channels in numeric succession with the A/I 1-8 and the Pedal channels being 9-10. Match that in the midi channels page in the I/O section and you should be good to go.

its defaulting to 7 instead of 9.mine did the same thing.you have to change it to 9 on the gcp manually for every patch.

You guys nailed it again! Thanks!

The GCP defaults to 7 for the one pedal. I figured it was something like that but couldn't find the parameter when I looked for it before. Once I read the first post on here last nigh, I had an idea of where to look. Found it! :D

Back
Top Bottom