Need answer about firmware size for Mark I/II users

sialtam

As many other mark II users, i was confronted to the possibility that firmware updates wouldnt be possible anymore due to firmware size getting bigger and bigger. Then, Cliff came with a workaround being the removal of the ability to go back in time with the amp modeling firmware inside the amp block (for the mark I/II users).

Now, there seems to be a fear in the community about the risk of no longer having updates for mark I/II based on firmwares size but i wonder if this fear is relevant, since we no longer have that backward ability inside the firmware. Am i right to think that its safe for us now, because the size of firmware doesnt really go up that much without the backward capacity ? Thoughts on this ?

Take a look on the file size of the unzipped syx? You then can see how far we are away from the max size.
But it's more about what's introduced next to the firmware code. If it's something with a lot of data then it might get to big for the MKI/II.

I really would not stress out about it.

Yeah Cliff removing the older amp models from the firmware allowed for 6.xx to be installed on the Mark I & II units and in the process gave us some padding for some future updates. But it also depends what the future updates consist of.

In one way I was really surprised he went to the trouble of removing the older versions to accommodate the Mark I & II (from a business point of view). I figure: killing any updates for the I & II would stimulate sales for the XT + and AX8’s.

I must admit when I heard the wah’s were greatly improved I was thinking, “maybe it’s time for a XT +” But then 6.xx was tailored to fit on our units. I got my wah and I was pretty happy with everything else already.

Will there be improvements and added features? Sure! But look at what we have right now

John

Yeah Cliff removing the older amp models from the firmware allowed for 6.xx to be installed on the Mark I & II units and in the process gave us some padding for some future updates. But it also depends what the future updates consist of.

In one way I was really surprised he went to the trouble of removing the older versions to accommodate the Mark I & II (from a business point of view). I figure: killing any updates for the I & II would stimulate sales for the XT + and AX8’s.

I must admit when I heard the wah’s were greatly improved I was thinking, “maybe it’s time for a XT +” But then 6.xx was tailored to fit on our units. I got my wah and I was pretty happy with everything else already.

Will there be improvements and added features? Sure! But look at what we have right now

John

Didn't read anywhere about Cliff removing older models.

What on earth makes you think anyone here can answer this question?

Only person who knows is Cliff Chase and some of the dev team

It's like when people ask "when is the axe III coming out", as if any end users actually are privy to such information

Didn't read anywhere about Cliff removing older models.

Bad choice of words on my part.

From the release notes:

NOTE:
This update will NOT change the sound of existing presets as the amp modeling version will automatically be set to the version when the preset was created. To use the new amp modeling set the Modeling Version parameter in the Amp block to “Latest”. When selecting new amp models the Modeling Version will be set according to the Default Modeling Version in the Global menu. This option is only available on XL and XL+ models.

Take a look on the file size of the unzipped syx? You then can see how far we are away from the max size.
But it's more about what's introduced next to the firmware code. If it's something with a lot of data then it might get to big for the MKI/II.[/QUOTE
What on earth makes you think anyone here can answer this question?

Only person who knows is Cliff Chase and some of the dev team

It's like when people ask "when is the axe III coming out", as if any end users actually are privy to such information
I assume your comment was direct answer to my post question and i will be honest : i was hoping at some point the intervention of those who know ( i.e. the admins at fractal audio, ultimately cliff himself). In fact, the question was directly aimed toward them, though everyone here may have good answers or comments about it.
On a side note, please excuse my english, im french, and i hope not to be disrespectful in any ways. Im a fully and completely satisfied and happy AxeFx user :) Merry Christmas to all of you

John

Well, my business model has always been about giving customers more than they expect. Sure we could have said "too bad, if you want the latest improvements you need to buy an XL+" but that would make us like the other soulless, greedy corporations that are all to common these days. Loyalty is priceless...

Well, my business model has always been about giving customers more than they expect. Sure we could have said "too bad, if you want the latest improvements you need to buy an XL+" but that would make us like the other soulless, greedy corporations that are all to common these days. Loyalty is priceless...

WOW! Leadership like this is priceless! May you have great success ongoing!

And you have had mine since my Axe Fx Standard

Merry Christmas, Cliff. Hope you and your family are well. Also I hope your son gets an "obot" of some kind if he hasn't already, assuming he's into that kind of thing.

:D Merry Xmas to all from the Crazy Frog!

We shouldn't discuss such things while Xmas!
All things will find their way, and FAS will find solutions, to make ALL users happy :blush:

Mike

And loyal we will be !!! anyways,if it were to be the last update for the mark I/II, the unit wont crash and explode the day the next firmware is released!! It will still be a great and wonderfull product until it dies from a very long life ( or until my wallet says go for the new AxeFx )

Fractal for life. Appreciate all you do.

Now, there seems to be a fear in the community about the risk of no longer having updates for mark I/II based on firmwares size

I think when FAS was contemplating end of firmware for the Mark I/II, there was a lot of discussion on the forum, but since the firmware continuation for the Mark I/II, I would say there isn't general "fear in the community".

It is a legit concern for there are many Mark I/II owners. The thread where this was all hashed out has all the pros/cons/indifference discussed at length. No need to stir the pot again?

In the end FAS did the Mark I/II owners a solid. Now we can all stop fearing and resume making our wonderful noises :)

I think when FAS was contemplating end of firmware for the Mark I/II, there was a lot of discussion on the forum, but since the firmware continuation for the Mark I/II, I would say there isn't general "fear in the community".

It is a legit concern for there are many Mark I/II owners. The thread where this was all hashed out has all the pros/cons/indifference discussed at length. No need to stir the pot again?

In the end FAS did the Mark I/II owners a solid. Now we can all stop fearing and resume making our wonderful noises :)
Can you please indicate me where this thread is. I really did asked because i did not know the answer and if it was answered somewhere, i want to see and read what was said about it. My intention was not to stir an old pot but really to have infos that are new for me. This community has always been helpful for people who ask for answers. Just hope to be equally treated.

Back
Top Bottom