Need advice

RockerAlex

Inspired
First of all, yes I've used the search bar and read a LOT of different opinions ... I'm swamped in them and it's far too much for a newb to take in so I decided to make my own post.

To keep this post short and simple I basically have a choice, for financial reasons, between GOOD studio monitors (for not just playing the Axe through but for being able to make a more professional mix in the house as well as just for better quality listening purposes) or GOOD FRFR speakers solely for the Axe FX as I gig regularly and have decided to ditch the real cab (was pushed over the edge by the new OH IRs!)

Perhaps I am just ignorant on the subject (as I'm new to the whole FRFR world and what's available to me) but am I wrong in thinking there isn't a product out there that covers both for me? It certainly sounds very strange to me listening to/mixing/ music on speakers designed to be floor wedges.

Advice anyone?

RA, Im just going through the process of vetting various signal chain options/choices as I get to know the Axe. My basic setup right now is running through an OK to decent pair of studio monitors or headphones for the quiet hours. Certainly a workable home set up. A couple of weeks back I rented a power amp and tried this with various monitors and guitar cabs I have and was very pleased. Right now I'm in the midst of auditioning active monitors and am trying out the QSC KW122's. Bottom line is this is a whole new level of Axe love! I am able to hear whole new levels of detail and nuance, brilliant! Certainly for my purposes the QSC's would be perfect doubling as studio monitors and I did test them with a variety of sources including Logic source files. Relative to what I have big improvement. I will not for a moment claim to be making professional level mixes but for me there is no reason I couldn't settle on the FRFR speakers as my sole monitoring option.

RA, Im just going through the process of vetting various signal chain options/choices as I get to know the Axe. My basic setup right now is running through an OK to decent pair of studio monitors or headphones for the quiet hours. Certainly a workable home set up. A couple of weeks back I rented a power amp and tried this with various monitors and guitar cabs I have and was very pleased. Right now I'm in the midst of auditioning active monitors and am trying out the QSC KW122's. Bottom line is this is a whole new level of Axe love! I am able to hear whole new levels of detail and nuance, brilliant! Certainly for my purposes the QSC's would be perfect doubling as studio monitors and I did test them with a variety of sources including Logic source files. Relative to what I have big improvement. I will not for a moment claim to be making professional level mixes but for me there is no reason I couldn't settle on the FRFR speakers as my sole monitoring option.

Feels like I've wasted money on my Matrix poweramp if I buy active speakers ...

I guess, but I thought your question was basically, "are there FRFR speakers out there that could do double duty as monitors". I think there are and here is a quote in an adjacent post from Barhrecords with respect to CLRs,

I've got two but I use them for mixing in my studio too. I'm thinking about a 3rd just to mess with W/D/W rigging.

I guess, but I thought your question was basically, "are there FRFR speakers out there that could do double duty as monitors". I think there are and here is a quote in an adjacent post from Barhrecords with respect to CLRs,

Potentially more gear to try and shift! ... Ugh

Anybody else?

Firstly CLRs can be ordered in both wedge style or cabinet style, and you can also get them non powered.

I personally bought 2 active CLR wedges. They have satisfied every single need as a studio musician, engineer, and as my personal monitors for gigging in my classic metal and hard rock covers band.

Granted I don't use them to provide my guitar fill for the band as they all get my guitar in their own monitors.... cheap vocal monitors.... but they are happy with it which tells me this.... the only one really scrutinizing over ones tone is oneself, as even with CLRs if you are not using FOH that is as good or better it's wasted anyways.

at home, I use my Matrix GT1000 and 2 CFR12's to use as studio monitors for my DAW as well as my Axe rig.
Just tracked some vocals this week, and my co-producer asked me "what kind of speakers are those?". She said she could hear all the details in the mix, and was really happy with them.

I also have a separate Sub woofer I turn on for movies, etc.

I use it all except the sub when I play live.

I also use two CLRs for both studio monitoring and gigging.
As Mr. Mitchell wrote, "a studio monitor is just a cab which can't play loud"... or something along this line (his statement was more serious and accurate, I'm sarcastic here but you got the point ;D ).

To answer your OP's question in short, the CLRs can play both games for you... and more, with outstanding quality.
They're quite big tho, ensure to have estate enough for placing them in your studio :)

I also use two CLRs for both studio monitoring and gigging.
As Mr. Mitchell wrote, "a studio monitor is just a cab which can't play loud"... or something along this line (his statement was more serious and accurate, I'm sarcastic here but you got the point ;D ).

To answer your OP's question in short, the CLRs can play both games for you... and more, with outstanding quality.
They're quite big tho, ensure to have estate enough for placing them in your studio :)

The CLR are that good that I'm thinking of selling my ATC 100A which cost £12000!

JAmes

CFRs as studio monitors you say? Sounds like this is the route for me.

Q12 vs CFR12 though? Anything I should know?

EDIT: Also, Atomic vs Matrix?

Last edited:
Reactions: Ole
So the consensus here is I should get speakers especially for the Axe and double them as studio monitors and not the other way around?

With that being said, 2 CFR12s are not cheap at all ... looks like I'll be running mono for a while.

Not exatly so :) What those who support the CLRs concept are saying is that they can double as studio monitors and cabs for the Axe, just because they're not designed "especially for the Axe".

Of course, if you buy one CLR only, you won't be able to monitor your studio work in stereo. Stereo-panning tracks via headphones won't work :/

Not exatly so :) What those who support the CLRs concept are saying is that they can double as studio monitors and cabs for the Axe, just because they're not designed "especially for the Axe".

Of course, if you buy one CLR only, you won't be able to monitor your studio work in stereo. Stereo-panning tracks via headphones won't work :/

I imagine cheaper alternatives just to have 2 won't be as good ... ?

I imagine cheaper alternatives just to have 2 won't be as good ... ?

If you want to keep using your Matrix Power amp (which I don't think you've stated, but just making assumptions based on your comments), then I would try to Passive Atomic CLR's.
They have a return policy.

I did test a few weeks ago at my house.
Using program music:
JBL SR-X 4722 (powered with Crown iTech 4000)
QSC HPR122i (self powered)
QSC KW122 (self powered)
Atomic CLR (self powered)
RCF NX12ma (self powered)
JTR Triple 8 (powered with Crown iTech 4000)

I have ZERO skin in the game here....but I can tell you the Atomic CLR sounded much clearer and sweater than any of the other speakers.
It actually made me mad because I just bought the JTR's and they are not cheap.

Many folks get great results with all of the above speakers using the Axe (I still love the RCF NX12ma), but I can tell you that just going with straight program music (as you indicated you wanted to use these for studio), the Atomics were just the absolute winner.

I know someone above mentioned the KW122, and I really loved that speaker....until I heard it next to the Atomic. I could not believe how bad the QSC speakers sounded when compared to the Atomic.
Also bummed me out since I have FOUR QSC'S!!!! (anybody want to buy one???)

I know someone above mentioned the KW122, and I really loved that speaker....until I heard it next to the Atomic. I could not believe how bad the QSC speakers sounded when compared to the Atomic.
Also bummed me out since I have FOUR QSC'S!!!! (anybody want to buy one???)

I gigged happily with a pair of QSC K10s (-3 dB from 700Hz down) until I heard the CLR prototype.

I now use a CLR active wedge and the K10s are stage monitors in a friend's band.

My only issue with speakers frequency response is that I play low register music with 7 and 8 string guitars so I need speakers able to handle that range ...

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom