Need advice

lastcaress83

Inspired
I’m impressed with everything I’ve been seeing/hearing from the Axe FX III, especially after the addition of the speaker drive/thump parameters. I’m very tempted to unload my 2020 Marshall 1987x and pick up a new MKII turbo but it’s a very difficult decision when I can’t try one out.

Since I got the Marshall about a year ago it’s been my least played amp but I’ve cranked it through my Tube Amp Expander a few times this past week since I’ve been considering selling it and it does a lot of things very well.

One of my favorite aspects is how incredibly dynamic it is. I love that I can turn my neck humbucker down to 4-5 and get a very nice sparkly clean then switch over to a dimed bridge pickup and it’s all-out assault. How does the Axe FX do with this?

After selling the 1987x I’ll still have an Orange OR120, Mesa Tremoverb, and Fender Evil Twin so plenty of options but none do what the Marshall does.

What do ya’ll think? Should I send the Marshall packing or try to save up and maybe get the Axe in a year or so?

Last edited:
Only you can make that choice ultimately, but I can say that purchasing the Axe-FX III is the best gear purchase I've ever made. The Marshall models are very dynamic. I regularly play entire sets using the 50W Plexi 6CA7 model using my guitar's volume knob to go from clean to dirty. 10/10 would recommend.

I’m impressed with everything I’ve been seeing/hearing from the Axe FX III, especially after the addition of the speaker drive/thump parameters. I’m very tempted to unload my 2020 Marshall 1987x and pick up a new MKII turbo but it’s a very difficult decision when I can’t try one out.

Since I got the Marshall about a year ago it’s been my least played amp but I’ve cranked it through my Tube Amp Expander a few times this past week since I’ve been considering selling it and it does a lot of things very well.

One of my favorite aspects is how incredibly dynamic it is. I love that I can turn my bridge humbucker down to 4-5 and get a very nice sparkly clean then switch over to a dimed bridge pickup and it’s all-out assault. How does the Axe FX do with this?

After selling the 1987x I’ll still have an Orange OR120, Mesa Tremoverb, and Fender Evil Twin so plenty of options but none do what the Marshall does.

What do ya’ll think? Should I send the Marshall packing or try to save up and maybe get the Axe in a year or so?
Switch to AXE-FX for sure. You won't regret it. Just make sure you are looking at the Fractal FC's or alternative FC's (i.e., RJM) and a speaker solution (FRFR) passive or active or what ever you decide to go with. Also, a neutral power Amp for passive FRFR or what ever you choose.

Of course the AXE-FX IV or what ever will be the next generation version may be somewhere in the near horizon based on previous generation releases.

The forum is the best I have ever been part of. So many awesome members always helping anyone with advice, tech info, etc.. Hell, Mr. Robert Keeley just joined the forum and gave us his secret sauce recipe for the new Halo pedal because he was so impressed with forum members working on AXE-FX III version of that pedal. We have many serious gurus always helping out with presets, tutorials, demos, etc. Ranging from professional guitar players, producers, engineers of all sorts. Check out the manuals from Fractals website and Wiki. For example on Wiki there is a plethora of detailed info on everything, including extensive manuals for all 298 Amps, Drives, Cabs from Yek. Also a preset Axe change. A recording tutorial on forum for recording with AXE-FX by Glenn under DAWs & Recording section.

Fractal support is outstanding!
Cliff and team are always active in the forum and constantly improving their product. You will see many updates/ improvements and Cliff's ephinies that will make your head spin. Many user wishes do come true here in Fractal land.

Last edited:
Of course the AXE-FX IV or what ever will be the next generation version may be somewhere in the near horizon based on previous generation releases.
I’m of the mind that when I make this change I’ll be selling old and buying new whenever new versions are released. There seems to be a decent market for these so long as they are only a generation or two behind.

Also, I agree about the forum. This place is probably the most civil and helpful online community I’ve been a part of in the last 10 years.
Buy the Axe-FX and watch the other tube amps fall off too.
That sounds nice, actually. No Mesa Tremoverb or Orange OR120 models yet but who knows what’s to come.

Thanks for these comments! It seems like everyone feels the same way. If any of ya’ll sold your amps after getting the axe, what kind of amp was it and do you regret it at all?

I’m of the mind that when I make this change I’ll be selling old and buying new whenever new versions are released. There seems to be a decent market for these so long as they are only a generation or two behind.

Also, I agree about the forum. This place is probably the most civil and helpful online community I’ve been a part of in the last 10 years.

That sounds nice, actually. No Mesa Tremoverb or Orange OR120 models yet but who knows what’s to come.

Thanks for these comments! It seems like everyone feels the same way. If any of ya’ll sold your amps after getting the axe, what kind of amp was it and do you regret it at all?
Definitely right about the resale of AXE-FX products. I sold my Mesa Dual Rectifier, JP2C rack mount and Mesa cabs, Kemper setup, as well as my previous AXE-FX unit for the original AXE-FX III.

I wanted to get the Turbo but figured I'd hold out for the next Gen AXE-FX unit whenever that is. The unit I have now is more than enough for me till then. There are certain pedals that I keep only because of serious market value should I choose to sell them. I have sold around 50 pedals due to the AXE easily replacing them.

Last edited:
https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/anyone-sell-all-their-tube-amps.159254/

And remember, you're also getting all sorts of amazing effects too! And this thread discusses the quality of the effects vs. some seriously high-end gear. (Scroll to the top. Idk why it's loading in the middle of the thread.)

Two of my go-to amp models are the 1987x and 50w 6CA7 (in stereo) and I can assure you they both rip.

The biggest factor that will determine whether you’re happy with the axe-fx is how you monitor it. If you already have a home studio with a live amp room and are very comfortable monitoring mic’d guitar signals through headphones or studio monitors then you’ll have no problem monitoring the “mic’d” direct tones from the axe-fx through the same speakers.

However, part of what gives tube amps the amazing ability to go from clean to roaring with just the volume knob is the feedback loop created by the loud guitar cab in the room with you as you play. Many people used to this paradigm try a modeler through headphones or cheap plastic speakers and then blame the modeler for why it doesn’t sound the same.

So if you’re used to playing with a live cab in the room with you, I would honestly start by running an amp model straight into your amp’s power amp (aka fx loop return) and the same cab you’re used to (with the settings on the axe-fx set appropriately for this type of setup of course).

Then once you hear the accuracy of the modeling you can easily get rid of the amp and replace it with a high quality neutral power amp, or just jump directly into the studio paradigm of monitoring mic’d signals through studio monitors (which I personally strongly prefer over live cabs).

Last edited:
I have a Splawn Competition that was my desert island amp. I'm now thinking of firing it up after 3 years to test it in order to sell it. There hasn't been a tone I've needed from clean to mean that I haven't been able get, without compromise, with the Axe III.

I wanted to get the Turbo but figured I'd hold out for the next Gen AXE-FX unit whenever that is. The unit I have now is more than enough for me till then. There are certain pedals that I keep only because of serious market value should I choose to sell them. I have sold around 50 pedals due to the AXE easily replacing them.
Pretty much the same experience here. I considered the Turbo but there have only been a couple of presets I messed around with that the Turbo would have allowed. Not worth the hassle of selling the Mk 1 and spending the bit more for the Turbo in my case.

If I were purchasing now though, I would definitely go with the Turbo.

Pretty much the same experience here. I considered the Turbo but there have only been a couple of presets I messed around with that the Turbo would have allowed. Not worth the hassle of selling the Mk 1 and spending the bit more for the Turbo in my case.

If I were purchasing now though, I would definitely go with the Turbo.
Turbo for sure. More CPU power, Full Res IR’s that can be saved and an extra 512 preset slots

Got to agree with all you folks. Had the Axe FX 3 for 3 years now and the diversity is unbelievable! And the unit keeps getting better and better. Amazing piece of gear!

Mate - you are testing the turbo now… just imagine your exact rig now, but with more power. If your existing axe fx iii is limiting you because of cpu limitations, the turbo will probably solve your issues. As far as sound quality, they will be all but identical.
Thanks
Pauly

One of my favorite aspects is how incredibly dynamic it is. I love that I can turn my neck humbucker down to 4-5 and get a very nice sparkly clean then switch over to a dimed bridge pickup and it’s all-out assault. How does the Axe FX do with this?

I didn’t know that! Thanks!
That’s actually a great opportunity for direct comparison because I can run the Axe-FX III into the Waza TAE power section just as the 1987x is running. Will report back on the results.

Last edited:
do it jewish GIF

Back
Top Bottom